𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE:I HAVE TO HELP HIM

I HAVE TO HELP HIM

WHEN ISAAC HAD MANAGED TO get the three tickets, Elaine had rose an eyebrow in suspicion but decided against asking. When school was over, the three stood in the animal clinic in front of Deaton who was holding a needle along with a small bottle of ketamine.

     "Ketamine?" Scott asked.

     "It's the same stuff we use on the dogs, just a higher dosage." Deaton answered, placing the ketamine and needle on the table in front of the trio. "If you can get close enough to Jackson, it should slow him down enough to buy you some time." Scott picked up the needle whilst Deaton grabbed a thing of mountain ash. "This is some of what you'll use to create the barrier. This part is for you, Stiles―︎only you."

     "Uh, that sounds like a lot of pressure. . . Can we maybe find a slightly less pressure-filled task for me?" Stiles requested, picking up the bottle.

     "It's from the Mountain Ash tree, which is believed by many cultures to protect against the supernatural. This office is lined with ashwood, making it difficult for someone like Scott or Elaine to cause me any trouble."

     "Okay, so, then, what? I just spread this around the whole building, and then either Jackson or whoever's controlling him can't cross it?" Stiles questioned.

     Deaton nodded his head. "They'll be trapped."

     "Doesn't sound too hard." Scott tried, looking at the boy.

     "Not all there is." Deaton informed. "Think of it like gunpowder―︎it's just powder until a spark ignites it. You need to be that spark, Stiles."

     "If you mean light myself on fire, I don't think I'm up for that." This earned an amused look from Elaine as well as Deaton.

     "Let me try a different analogy. I used to golf. I learned that the best golfers never swing before first imagining where they want the ball to go. They see it in their mind, and their mind takes over. It can be pretty extraordinary what the force of your own will can accomplish."

     "Force of will." Stiles mumbled, nodding his head.

     "If this is going to work, Stiles, you have to believe it." The boy only hummed in response.

━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎

Later that night, Stiles had picked up the two siblings, driving to the location of the rave, though not saying a word the entire time. Elaine frowned in confusion, knowing that the boy was never quiet. He always had something to say. They got out of the vehicle, walking around and to the back of Stiles' jeep.

     "You okay?" Scott was the one to break the silence.

     "Yeah, why?" Stiles responded, grabbing one of the bags out of the back.