𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐢𝐱

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX:DARACH

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX:
DARACH

ELAINE AND STILES WERE QUICK to find Lydia, Elaine offering her friend a smile whilst Stiles quickly started talking to her, going on a ramble that made both girl's look at him with slight confusion.

     "You know that there's a temple in Calcutta where they used to sacrifice a child every day? That's every day a dead baby, Lydia―︎every day! Hey, you want to know what today is? It's Dead Baby Day. Oh, no, wait, that's every day, because every day is Dead Baby Day, yay!"

     "Why are you telling me this?" Lydia questioned.

     "Because Scott's dealing with the Alpha twins." Stiles answered, making Lydia raise her eyebrows, waiting for him to explain. "You don't know about the twins?"

     "Alphas?" Lydia asked, glancing towards Elaine who sighed, nodding her head.

     "Ethan and Aiden." Stiles continued.

     "Oh, yeah. Yeah, I knew about them." Lydia nodded.

     "Okay. Okay, good. So, look, he's what I'm thinking―︎I'm thinking that the murders maybe come in threes. Ancient people love things in threes, right? So, maybe first it's three virgins, and then, I don't know. Maybe it's three people who own little dogs?"

     Lydia paused. "I own a little dog." Elaine and Stiles looked at her and she looked between them, shaking her head as she continued forward. "I am not getting rid of my dog."

     "Would you just think about getting rid of your little dog?" Stiles begged.

     "No! And, by the way, you cannot discern a pattern by a single data point, so stop trying." Lydia lightly snapped.

     "Wha―︎okay, so, what? We're just supposed to wait around for someone else to die, then? We're just supposed to sit there and watch them die? Just wait around for them to wither up and die right in front of us?" Stiles quickly fired back, scoffing in disbelief.

     "Wither?"

     Stiles gave her a blank look before huffing. "You know what I mean! Die, in just a hideously awful, strangulating, head-bashing, throat-cutting kind of way!"

     "That about covers it." Elaine nodded her head, crossing her arms over her chest as she looked towards Lydia who paused for a moment before turning to face them.

     "Maybe it's not your job." She carefully spoke. "You said it yourself, they were strangled with a garrote. That's a human thing to do, so. . . maybe just leave the figuring it out part to someone human?"

     "You mean, someone like my dad?" Stiles asked.

     "No." Lydia spoke. "I mean, your dad. The sheriff." Lydia then walked away and Elaine stood there for a moment, pursing her lips as she looked towards Stiles.