Chapter One Hundred Forty Three

Comincia dall'inizio

He waited for Sirius to snap back, like he usually did, but he was quiet, simply observing him. "Can we just go back?", Remus mumbled.

flat 

"Sorry. Love. Got blood. Everywhere.", James wheezed, as Lily waved her wand, wrapping bandages around his torso. "I don't care about the sofa, you bloody idiot.", she swallowed, wincing at the look of pain on his face, 

"Hurts.", he choked out. "It might be infected-- it'll make you feel pretty bad for a while.", Lily said apologetically. "Will I be. Okay. Before the next moon?", James struggled to say.

Lily looked at him fondly, tearing up at his loyalty and selflessness. How could she not see it before? "If you rest.", she said firmly, kissing his cheek gently.

"I love you, Evans."

"I love you too, Potter."

"Evans-Potter.", he corrected, a small smile on his face. 

The door opened to Sirius, Peter, and Remus, who looked down. "Are you okay?, James and Lily asked in unison. "I'm fine.", Remus said, almost a whisper, "I'm sorry, James."

"I'm alright, see?", James said, wincing at the movement, "It wasn't your-"

But Remus had already closed the door to his and Sirius' room, the click of a lock sounding.

"It's my room, too.", Sirius said, knocking on it. Remus unlocked the door, looking more tired than he'd ever been. "Can I please borrow some Galleons? I'll pay you back.", Remus said softly.

"Yeah, anything."

"Of course."

James and Sirius shot a look at each other, "What for?"

"I'm going to move out. It's not safe anymore.", Remus gave a resigned sigh, "It's not safe for any of us."

Protests ensured around him, and he clutched his pounding head. 

The ground was spinning towards him, and that was the last thing he remembered. 

later

"He can't leave, Pete.", Remus heard tears in Sirius' voice, "He can't leave us, he can't leave me."

Remus' eyes popped open, his eyes wide, and his head pounding. "Moony.", Sirius whispered. Peter gave him a sympathetic smile, helping him sit up. Sirius handed Remus a cup of tea, and he took it with trembling hands, lifting it to his mouth.

"Is James okay?", he managed to ask. 

"I'm sorry, James, this is going to hurt.", Lily said gently, as he pulled his shirt up, revealing the bloody bandages. James gritted his teeth, nodding quickly. "You can hold my hand if you want?", Lily asked.

"Flirting, Mrs. Evans-Potter?", James winced, taking her hand.

"Yes I am, Mr. Evans-Potter.", Lily gave a small smile, poking her tongue out in concentration. 

She waved her wand, taking the old bandages off. James hissed in pain, gritting his teeth. Lily gave him a watery smile, before using her wand to put ointment on the gashes, taking a sharp intake of breath as he whimpered. 

"I can stop.", she said softly. 

James shook his head firmly, "Keep going."

He let out another whimper, clutching her hand tightly as she continued. A cup clattered to the ground, shattering. Lily turned around to Remus, who was staring. 

"Oh, Moony, I'm okay.", James said firmly, his voice shaking. Sirius and Peter came out behind him in an instant. "Remus, it wasn't your fault, love.", Sirius said gently, taking his hand.

"I'm sorry.", Remus said to James, for what seemed to be the millionth time. "I'm okay, Moony.", James said firmly, "It doesn't even hurt anymore."

"You should get some rest.", Lily said, "I'll wake you up in the morning."

Remus nodded, turning to Sirius, "Coming?"

"Y-you want me to?"

"Yeah."

Remus pulled the covers over the two of them. Sirius felt the comfortable warmth of Remus next to him, smiled, and closed his eyes.

"You know I love you, right?", Remus asked suddenly. "Yeah. You know I love you, right?", Sirius echoed. Remus nodded, "Yeah."

"Good.", Sirius grinned, kissing his cheek. 

the next morning

When Sirius woke up, the familiar warmth was gone. He looked at the pillow beside him, where there was a note. 

Please forgive me, Sirius. Don't come after me, I'm alright. I just need some time. I love you, so, so much. 

Remus x