Chapter 3

I have a headache

Soooo what do you think Rayne's moms name issss??? Also what do y'all think about the design change to Rayneeee?

Warnings: Rayne being really depressed

Vulnerable updates every Friday and Sunday (and YES I will actually update this Sunday I'm sorry)

Thank you all so much lovelies, stay safe, and enjoy the chapter :)

~*~*~*

      Rayne sat outside a café, eyes wide and disturbed. The loss of Optimus hit her hard - dare she say harder than it had hit anybody else. She thought the others still didn't know about the intimacy she shared with the Prime, but any sort of feeling the team might've had was probably confirmed. These days, she didn't go to the base much anymore, too lost in her own grief to wander the halls where she'd looked forward to kissing her alien lover.

      Someone sat across from her, jolting Rayne out of her state. It was a woman, significantly older than Rayne. She had the same color hair as Rayne did, but with a few strands of gray-silver. Heart hammering in her chest, Rayne watched the woman open her mouth to speak.

      "You look like you just kicked a puppy. Is that why you called me all the way out here?"

      Rayne sighed softly, tears brimming her eyes once more. "Mom..."

      Rayne's mother smiled softly, a worried glint in her eye. "Honey, what happened?"

      "There's so much I have to tell you about, mom..." Rayne cried, rubbing her sore and stinging eyes, coffee steam rising to her face.

      "Well I'd assume so...you cut your hair and you're not wearing your glasses." Rayne's mother frowned, trying not to freak out too much, not wanting to upset her daughter more.

      Rayne looked back up. That's right, she'd cut her long hair to her shoulders, and started wearing her contacts. It was more of a hassle crying with glasses on than contacts. Sighing, Rayne grabbed the end part of her hair, taking a shaky sip from her coffee. Rayne's mom was patient as always with her daughter, reaching over the small round table to rub Rayne's forearm.

      "You're not going to believe me." Rayne said quietly, putting her cup down.

      "Why wouldn't I believe you when you're this upset, rain drop?"

      "Because I've been working with others down here...a whole team." Rayne clutched her cup.

      "Oh? Why wouldn't I-"

      "Because they're aliens." Rayne's eyes met her mothers.

      Her mother stopped for a moment. What did her daughter just say...? "I-I'm sorry, aliens, dear?"

      Rayne looked around, people sitting at tables around them. "C'mon lets walk around for a bit...I don't want too many people hearing."

      Her mother nodded slightly and stood, watching her daughter to see if she was feeling sick. Aliens? What the hell did she mean by that? Rayne and her mother walked a bit a ways away from the café, not that there was much else in Jasper, Nevada. Once Rayne gathered her thoughts as well as she could, she began to fill her mom in on everything, but leaving out some key details (them being of Cybertronian descent somewhere in the line, and being inside of a giant Cybertronian that is their planets core to name a few).

      Rayne's mother listened to how she came across the team, how she found (Y/n) and lost her again, this riveting Optimus character, and the loss of him. The loss of Optimus and (Y/n) crashed in her poor daughter's mind, leading her to change her appearance to attempt to start a new chapter, while trying to edit the previous one.

      "Honey, if all of this is true, then you must take some sort of lesson from this." Rayne's mother knit her brows together in concern, storm blue eyes trying to meet her daughters' storm gray ones. "Like for example, not trying to force (Y/n) to come home. Our old place was a disaster for her - no wonder she doesn't want to come back, and fell for Metatron's tricks."

      "Megatron," Rayne corrected. "and mom, you didn't see the look in her eyes...she was scared, scared like how she was back home. I remember it all too clearly..."

~*~*~*

      (Y/n) cried out, elbowing Rayne in the face. (Y/n) went for another kick, but Rayne responded in time with it, catching her fist. Both girls looked at each other in surprise for a split second, before (Y/n) threw another one. Rayne caught that one as well, and caught in the moment, Rayne hit the back of (Y/n)'s knee, making her fall down.

      "Woah, woah woah!" (Y/n) slipped really fast, and fell off the side of the Nemesis.

      (Y/n) kept her eyes trained on the ground, fear ringing through her and flying through her systems. Suddenly, her fall stopped. Whipping her head up, (Y/n) saw Rayne hanging over the side of the Nemesis, both hands clasped over (Y/n)'s wrist. It reminded her of a training session she'd had with Rayne long ago.

      (Y/n)'s eyes travelled up to Rayne's, (eye color) meeting storm-gray. Rayne uttered that same phrase she'd said all that time ago.

      "I'll never let go."

      And with that, Rayne hauled (Y/n) up safely, both girls resting on their backs. The wind still raged on, and Rayne greedily gulped the air in. (Y/n) sat dazed, remembering so many training sessions and explorations with Rayne when they were kids - it was almost a little too much. Almost.

~*~*~*

      Rayne and her mother had stopped walking, Rayne squeezing her eyes shut in sorrow, trying to keep more tears from falling out of her bloodshot eyes. (Y/n)'s voice echoed in her head: "I'm not going back. Ever. Not even for a week. Go home."

      Rayne's mother turned her around to face her, watching her daughter slowly open her eyes. It broke her heart, seeing her daughter like this and knowing she could do nothing about it. But...Rayne could change it.

      "Rayne, darling, do you remember what I told you when we first moved to our old home?"

      "That I...needed to make friends?"

      "Well, yes, but what did I say after you told me you couldn't?"

      "That only I could change that...?"

      Rayne's mother lifted her eyebrows, hinting at her daughter. The gears in her head turned, and Rayne figured it out.

      "I'm sure if you returned to base, your team will-"

      Rayne looked around, saw no one, and whipped out her phone, calling Ratchet.

      "Rayne? I thought you'd left Jasper by now. Where have you been?"

      "Long story Ratchet, but I have a guest with me, and I'd like to request a groundbridge."

      Rayne's mother tried remembering the name Ratchet - the 'Automobile' medic? Or was it Autobot?

      "Absolutely not. No more humans in the base, and that's final."

      Rayne and her mother shared a glance, and just as Rayne was about to falter and retract her request, her gaze hardened again and she turned to look in the direction of the Autobot base.

      "I think you can make an exception this time."