16 | Confidence is key

Frankie Stew & Harvey Gunn - Tortoise:
'Let's go for a walk love, tell you all the things that I thought of. Singing out your name like a chorus, you breathe life into my sawdust'

"A cappuccino and the pesto pasta salad please". Emilia said to the waiter after her best friends had given him their order. They were having lunch in the little cafe in town where they came almost every Wednesday since they met each other in high school. They would gossip about co-workers or neighbours, chat about work and tell each other their latest men drama. Isabel had just told the girls about a guy she met at Gia's yoga school. He had asked her out, but she didn't really like him so she told him she was really busy the next few weeks, but now he was showing up everywhere she went. Gia and Emilia laughed while their best friend explained how she saw him at the grocery store, the hairdresser and weirdly enough, the nail salon. Gia promised her to talk to the guy when he was back at the yoga school and to hint that Isabel was seeing someone else, so he would leave her alone.

"So what about your men? It's a little boring now to have two best friends who are actually loved up because the gossip isn't as good anymore.." Isabel asked while Gia and Emilia looked at each other. They were both really happy and even though Isabel was right, the gossip had died down a lot, they much preferred to have boyfriends like Michael and Daniel. "Well, the latest news with Michael is that he is still really hot and knows exactly how to please a girl.." Gia giggled while the other girls' faces changed into looks of disgust. "It's a lot different to hear these things when you actually know who you are talking about". Emilia said and Isabel nodded in agreement. "Well, tell me about your love life then". Gia said and Emilia felt the blushes rise to her cheeks. She had told the girls what happened the first time when Daniel was at her house, but that was all they knew as of yet.

"Do we have to talk about that here?" Emilia said, still a little embarrassed. "There is no one here, Mil. It's just us". Gia said and Emilia looked around. The cafe was nearly empty like it was every Wednesday afternoon, that was exactly the reason they picked this time and place all those years ago, so they could gossip freely without being disturbed. "Well.. we did stuff, as you know when he came to visit me. And also last weekend after qualifying.." Emilia said, her cheeks now completely red. Isabel and Gia clapped their hands, happy for their best friend to finally be able to trust a man like that again. "But you haven't had proper sex yet?" Isabel asked and Emilia shook her head. "No, we haven't really had the chance to and I know Daniel is waiting for me to make the first move in that direction. He would never pressure me to do anything". She said while fiddling with her fingers on the table.

Gia grabbed her best friends hand to make her stop and catch her attention. "I'm really happy for you, Mil". She said and Emilia gave her a small smile. "I really want to though.." Emilia said and Gia looked at her in confusion. "I really want to have sex with him. It's just a little scary, you know. But I know he is the right guy for me and especially since he's been so patient and I'm officially his girlfriend now. I just needed some time to get used to the idea of doing it again". Her friends nodded, totally understanding what Emilia meant. They hadn't experienced what she went through in her last relationship themselves, but they had seen all the heartbreak and pain their best friend went through. "But he is away for a few weeks now anyway, so I have some more time to think about it". Emilia continued her story. "He's in Russia this weekend, right?" Isabel asked and Emilia nodded. "And he told you during that game at our house that he really likes a confident girl and lingerie, didn't he?" She continued while Emilia looked at her confused.

She had told her friends about the card game they played, but she really didn't know what Isabel was trying to say. "Well, I might have an idea.. Anyone want to go shopping after this?" Isabel grinned proudly, diving straight into her lunch. The girls chatted some more about the past week, their work and what they had been up to until they finished their meals. It was Gia's turn to pay this week and the other girls collected their stuff and walked towards the exit waiting for their best friend before they got into Isabel's car. "What I was thinking.." She started and Emilia looked over to see the biggest grin she had ever seen on Isabel's face. "Maybe we can go to a lingerie shop and get you a gorgeous set so you can surprise Daniel with it during your FaceTime date this weekend.." Emilia thought about it for a while. It would show him her confidence, but it wouldn't be the 'real deal' because they were miles away from each other. It would be a practice run and she could let him know that she really wanted all of him.