5 | Saying goodbye

E^ST - Life Goes On:
'There was something great about you, something that'll never be the same without you. Something that I'm always gonna miss, guess that's how it is'

On the last night of their trip, Michael invited Gia out for dinner with him. The girls had helped her get dressed this afternoon and she looked so happy when he picked her up. Isabel had some work calls to get done so Emilia decided to go for a run by herself. The boys were driving them to the airport tomorrow, so she didn't have to worry about saying goodbye to Daniel just yet. It had been the best two weeks of her life and Emilia was so happy she agreed to come on this trip. Nothing major happened, but meeting new friends, talking to boys after two years of avoiding them and growing more confident in herself were big things to her. Emilia ran past the boulevard and stopped to look over at the ocean for a moment. Going back to Italy would be hard. She knew she wasn't going to run into Marcus, her ex, here but the chance of seeing him again in Italy was significantly bigger. She was going to miss this. She was going to miss Daniel. After the movie night a few days ago, Emilia felt herself starting to like him more and more. It was scary, but he made it very easy for her.

Just when she wanted to start running again, she felt her phone vibrate in the little bag she carried around her waist. It was Daniel, he was calling her. He had never called her before so Emilia was a little shocked before she realized she should probably just answer. "Hey.." She said, still a little out of breath from her run. "Hey there". He answered and she could hear his smile through his voice. "I wanted to see what your plans were for your last night here". Daniel said. "I'm out for a run right now, not much planned after that". Emilia said and she started fiddling with the waistband of her leggings, getting a little nervous about what he was going to say. "Where are you right now? Maybe we can take a walk along the beach or something.." Emilia laughed. "Well, that would be quite easy, I'm there already". Daniel laughed and he asked her to send him her location so he could join her. Emilia took a seat on a bench after they hung up and scrolled through her phone for a while. It was a lovely evening and the sun was just about to go down.

A little while later, she saw Daniel walking over to her. He was wearing blue shorts, a dark grey top and the backwards baseball hat she liked so much. He smiled when he spotted her and Emilia stood up and walked over to meet him. She pulled him into a hug and Daniel was frozen for a second before he reached his arms around her waist and tightened his grip on her. They made their way onto the beach to walk near the water and the sky looked absolutely gorgeous right now. "It is so beautiful out here tonight.. I can't believe I'm going home tomorrow, these past two weeks have gone by so quick". Emilia said and she felt a little tension in the air. It was like he wanted to say something, but every time he opened his mouth, he closed it again just as quickly. Until he stopped walking and cleared his throat. "I'm so glad to have met you, Emilia. I really had the best time with you these past few weeks. I know you are going back to work and I have to start training and travelling to races again soon, but I really want to keep seeing you.." Daniel said and his hand had grabbed hers while he was talking.

Emilia wanted to see him again too. He had touched her heart without even knowing it and she felt like a different person because of him. "I want that too". She said while sliding her fingers through his and they started walking again. Holding hands had always been something intimate to Emilia. Marcus never held her hand, he didn't like public displays of affection. So this felt special to her. They walked for what seemed like hours and talked about everything they could think of. Their holiday, their friends, plans for when they were back home and Daniel's racing career. "I'll promise to try and watch the next race, okay?" Emilia said with a soft giggle and he smiled at her. "The only thing is, now it terrifies me even more because I actually care about one of the drivers". Emilia didn't even notice she said it but Daniel stopped in his tracks. "You do?" He asked her and she wasn't really sure what he meant at first, but then she realized what she said.