Chapter One Hundred Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

He hurried towards them, a worried look on his face. He wrapped his arms around Remus, and he inhaled his scent, clutching him tightly, as though he would never let go.

He hugged Peter, and then Lily, and then James. "Are they-", he croaked.

"They have until tomorrow.", James' voice cracked. "Tomorrow?", Sirius asked, tears filling his eyes.

"Mum? Dad?", Sirius asked softly, stepping into the room, the others following him.

"Sirius.", Fleamont coughed tiredly, as Euphemia smiled gently at him.

"'M glad. You came to see us. Before.", Euphemia said weakly. Sirius shook his head quickly, "No, no, you're going to be okay. You have to be okay.", he said desperately.

James touched his mum's hand, then his dad's with his trembling one, a choked sob escaping his mouth.

"All of you. Stay together. Okay?", Fleamont coughed. Euphemia nodded, "Don't fight with each other. Win the war. Be safe.".

Remus and Peter nodded, swiping at their eyes. "Lots and lots of grandkids.", Fleamont said, smiling.

"Lots and lots.", Lily smiled through her tears.

"Don't be. Too upset. When we are gone."

"I love you, Mum, Dad.", James said softly, feeling a pang in his heart, watching Sirius do the same.

The two of them didn't know this would be the last time they said that to their parents.

The five of them did not sleep, even as Euphemia and Fleamont did. Silence filled the room. James gripped on to Euphemia's right hand, and Sirius her left, and vice versa with Fleamont.

Lily, Remus, and Peter fluffed their pillows, brought them water and tissues, and wiped their faces with cool washcloths.

A few hours later, Euphemia was still. She took one last breath, and then relaxed.

"No, no, please, Mummy. Mummy?", James said, shaking her gently. But she didn't stir. "Mum?", Sirius echoed, his eyes wide, "Please."

"Effy?", Fleamont coughed, opening his eyes. Lily swallowed, as Peter looked down. Remus pressed a hand to his mouth, choking on a sob.

"Euphemia?", Fleamont asked again. "She's gone, Appa.", Sirius said, biting back tears. "Dad?", Sirius asked, but there was silence.

the next day

"James?", Lily said gently, "James, sweetie, we need to go.".

James stared blankly at her, the fresh tear tracks on his face. He shook his head, "I can't leave.", was all he said.

"You need to eat something.", Peter said quietly.

"Padfoot.", Remus said, taking his hand, "We need to go home." Sirius didn't even look at him, just staring off into space.

James got up, finally, dragging himself over to Sirius. "They said not to be too upset, alright? We're going to make them proud."

Sirius looked at him, tears in his eyes, "I don't know how to."

James stretched out a hand to him, offering it. Sirius took it, standing up. James pulled Sirius into a tight hug, sniffling it into his shoulder.

"I miss them already.", Sirius said, his voice cracking. "Me too.", James said softly.

"C'mere.", Peter said, hugging them, Remus and Lily joining in.

"So- We go back to their house, and then the funeral.", Lily said quietly.