78 - Wishful thinking

This is the second of a double update.

There were a million reasons not to spend the night at Patrick's, but she agreed for one reason. She wanted to sleep in his arms.

They had a wonderful day, and the girls loved watching the fireworks on the beach. Patrick carried a tired Chloe on his back. Seeing him with her made Tessa's belly flip flop. Thinking of Patrick being her baby's father warmed her heart.

"Did you see the colors, Doc?"

"I did, Clo! Did you like them, Maya?"

"They were beautiful. Mom, do we have to go to sleep?"

"It's already past your bedtime."

The girls had spent time after dinner playing on the pullout bed. It was exciting. Tessa felt awkward telling them she was sleeping with Patrick. They took it in stride, being too young to understand.

Patrick said, "I'll help tuck you in."

Sometimes it felt too good to be true. Then she remembered Hannah. Would she force him to choose between his oldest and youngest child?

The girls ran upstairs to get ready. Patrick called after them. "Brush your teeth."

"I should go help them."

"First." He leaned over and kissed her. His kiss was tender. It made her heart hurt, and she didn't understand why. He frowned slightly before winking. "Let's get them to sleep."

They settled into the strange bed because they were tired. Even Maya welcomed a hug from Doc. After a last kiss to each, she followed him down the stairs.

He went into the kitchen and poured her some sparkling water without asking. It wasn't presumptuous, but thoughtful.

They settled on the sofa. This time at opposite ends. She stretched out, and he began massaging her feet. His touch radiated heat right up her legs.

He looked thoughtful as he said, "You looked sad earlier."

"Did I?"

He nodded. "Do you mind that I'm close to Maya and Chloe?"

"No! They really like you."

He smiled. "I know I'm not their father."

"They didn't know their father."

Patrick continued to rub her feet. "I know, but you did. You have that look."

She looked at his face. When had it become so familiar to her? She sighed. "What look?"

"It should have been David. I saw it when I was carrying Chloe and hugging them."

She didn't acknowledge he was right. "I also was thinking how lucky this one is to have you as his father." She placed her hand on her tummy. Only she could tell it was thicker in the middle.

He smiled. "I want to be there for you, the baby, and the girls."

"I know. I'm glad. I just worry that you'll have to choose. You can't fracture your family."

He frowned. "She'll come around."

Tessa didn't argue. His optimism beat her doubt. She was too tired and didn't want to ruin their night.

"If you're tired, you can go to bed. I have to wait for Kev." She shook her head. "It's okay if I just hold you. I know it's hard to believe, but I don't always have to have sex."

She smiled. "But it's so good."

He laughed, but he stopped and his smile disappeared. "I like how you make me laugh."