40 - Sorry

The party had moved off the beach and onto Megan's street. There were tables full of food and grills loaded with meat. Tessa counted at least ten coolers, although not all were filled with beer. She found one with bottled water.

Kristi passed her and asked if she wanted wine. "I'm not much of a drinker. I'll have to drive home soon."

Kristi stepped closer. "I want you to know if you're a friend of Patrick's then you're a friend of mine. I'm sorry if I made you think I didn't like you."

Tessa felt surprised. "He told you?" Kristi made a motion of locking up her mouth and throwing away the key. Tessa asked, "Why were you nice to me at Abbie's party?"

"Because I didn't have any reason not to be. Besides, I didn't want Hannah to lose out because of me."

"I would never do that!"

"I know that now, but I didn't know about you and..." She put her finger over her lip.

Tessa gave a thin smile. The woman was going to have to earn her trust. Patrick walked over and stood next to Kristi.

He looked down at his friend. "Are you behaving?"

"I'm being nice. I promise." She held up three fingers. "I'm a girl scout leader."

Patrick laughed and winked at Tessa. She felt flutters every time he looked at her. No one was near them. Kelsey was talking to Jen about New York. The girls were running around with the older kids, Kevin included.

She looked around. "Where's Megan? I need to use her bathroom."

Kristi pointed to her house. "Use my house. It's unlocked. Patrick can show you."

He nodded. "I could use a pit stop too."

She followed him as he stepped into the mudroom and pointed to a door. She felt awkward peeing with him just outside. When she came out, he walked past her and she stepped away. She stood in the doorway of the kitchen. It was beautiful with a custom design. Tessa's was circa nineteen-seventy.

She sensed Patrick behind her and didn't turn around. He slipped his hands around her waist and pulled her against his firm body.

Feeling his breath on her ear, he spoke to her. "You look beautiful today. Glowing."

She smiled as flutters filled her belly. He turned her to face him. Her lips parted. When his lips brushed hers, she pressed into them. He groaned as he pulled away.

"Anyone could walk in. What time should I come over?"

"After eight."

He nodded. "Go first. I'll be out in a minute."

She smiled as she walked outside and called her girls over to her. Maya came first, but Chloe was reluctant until Kevin took her hand and ran with her. Tessa glanced at Patrick, who was in Kristi's driveway. He smiled at his son.

Tessa smiled at Patrick's son. "Thank you, Kevin. Chloe, you need to eat something."

Kevin encouraged her. "I'm hungry. Let's find something."

Abbie who was beside them said, "Me too, Kevy."

Maya said, "Mom, I'm hungry."

She looked at her oldest. "I am too. Do you want a burger or a hot dog?"

Kevin had the little friends who each held a hot dog. He was holding his own plate and trying to help with ketchup.

Patrick said, "Hey Kev. Do you need a hand?"

He nodded. "Chloe wants mustard."

"I can help with that. A little or a lot. Kevin likes mustard too." Patrick reached for the mustard.