46 - Dinner

This is the second of a double update.

Hannah startled him, and he dropped Tessa's hand. "Hannah. How was work?"

"It was fine."

Her eyes bounced between him and Tessa. He appreciated it couldn't be easy, but he didn't want her to be rude.

"I caught her looking at pictures of my mother."

He sighed. "I want to see a picture of David. Hannah, you may not like this, but both Tessa and I have shared things about our spouses. We understand loss. I've shared things with Tessa that I've never told anyone."

Tessa said, "After reading your essay, I wanted to see your mother with you and your dad."

Hannah stood with her hands on her hips. "Oh right, my essay for the scholarship I won't get."

"Why do you assume that?" Patrick knew the answer was Kristi.

She shrugged. "Well, did you vote for me?"

Patrick frowned. "Hannah, Tessa can't answer that."

Tessa's voice was gentle. "Patrick, have you read Hannah's essay?"

He shook his head. "She never showed me."

"Hannah, let him read it."

Patrick turned to his daughter. "I'd love to, sweetie." She shrugged. "Can you help Tessa set the table?"

"Fine." She rolled her eyes.

He ignored her and followed them into the kitchen to check on the potatoes and get a platter for the grilled chicken.

As Hannah lifted down the plates, she pointed to the silverware. He said, "We aren't fancy. Just forks and knives."

Tessa said, "There is nothing fancy about meals at my house. Are we ready for the others?"

"I'll get them." Hannah stood at the bottom of the stairs and hollered. "Time to eat!" Tessa laughed as he went to the deck for the chicken.

The farmer's table was extended to accommodate their extra guests. No one knew where to sit. His family had their normal places, but he suggested Chloe sit next to Kevin and Maya sit between Tessa and Gabby. Hannah sat next to her brother. He sat at the head. Tessa was closest to him.

Chloe was on her knees to reach the table. Because he was the closest adult, he reached over to help cut her chicken. Maya cut her own.

Tessa frowned. "Sorry. She should have sat next to me."

"It's fine. I don't mind." He touched her knee under the table and she smiled.

Normally their dinners were never quiet, but no one was talking. He attempted to start a conversation. "What were you doing upstairs?"

Gabby answered. "We played with Barbies and a few games."

"Kevin won." Maya looked disappointed.

"I never used to win either," Kevin said.

"That's because Hannah always cheated," Gabby said.

"I did not!" Hannah pouted.

"You did!" Kevin joined in.

Patrick should have let them stay silent. "Enough. You get it from your relatives. They all cheat."

His children laughed, and the little ones joined in. Hannah stopped first.

Maya turned to Hannah. "Who are you?"

Hannah said, "Who are you?"

"I'm Maya. Gabby, who is she?"

"She's my sister."

Chloe said, "Maya's my sister. Where's your mommy?"

Hannah's fork dropped. Gabby replied, "Our mother is in heaven."

Chloe smiled. "My daddy's there too. Maya has pictures, but I don't."

Patrick looked at Tessa. She smiled at her daughter. "Chloe, did you tell Gabby about school?"

He was impressed that Tessa succeeded in changing the subject. Unfortunately, Hannah could too.

"I can't figure out how you even know each other."

Patrick warned. "Hannah."

Tessa put her hand on his knee. "It seems your father kept bumping into me."

Patrick laughed. "I remember it was you doing the bumping into. I admit at Korra's party it was on purpose, because I wanted to dance with you."

Tessa blushed and Hannah glared. Chloe announced that she and Maya go to dance class.

Maya said, "We have recital. Gabby, will you come?"

Gabby's eyes widened. Patrick said, "Gabby might be busy, but maybe she'll babysit for you."

Gabby's face relaxed as she nodded.

When dinner was over, he felt relieved. It wasn't a disaster, but it was not a success.

Tessa helped him with the dishes. His kids brought in their own plates. Gabby even showed Maya and Chloe how to place them in the dishwasher. "It's your job when you eat over again." The girls smiled.

There weren't any goodbye kisses for Tessa. Once her car drove away, he summoned his children.

Hannah spoke first. "Dad, why do you even like her?"

Gabby answered. "Because she's nice." Hannah rolled her eyes. "Didn't Lexie's father remarry?"

Hannah said, "Yeah, and she has the world's worst stepsister. Dad said he's not marrying her."

Patrick corrected her. "I said I didn't know. It's too soon to know."

Kevin said, "If you marry her, I'm not playing with those kids every day. It's okay every once in a while."

Patrick held his hands up. "You are all jumping the gun, but Kev, they may come over more. Let me know if they're too much."

Hannah cried. "Things were fine the way they were. Why did you have to ruin it?"

Gabby said, "Hannah, you're the one who dates the guy who has sister-cousins. At least Dad isn't dating our aunt."

"Dah Gabby! They all live in California."

Patrick felt exhausted. "Enough for tonight. I'm tired. I have surgery tomorrow. I need to sleep."

He planned to call Tessa to see if she survived their first family dinner.