92 - Irresistible

This is the second of a double update.

Life in the Bennett house had changed. Even Gabby and Kevin looked at her sideways. Between her pregnancy and Patrick acting like a kid in love, the younger two avoided the house. Hannah was home more than ever. Tessa didn't ask her, but when Patrick or Gabby asked where her friends were, her answer was working.

Tessa could tell she wasn't happy to be home without her boyfriend. The Friday afternoon a week after her pregnancy was revealed, Tessa was alone. Gabby had taken the girls to the beach. Tessa liked how she treated her daughters.

Tessa clicked on the TV. She had fallen behind on the dancing show she liked. As a guest, she only watched when no one was around.

Half way through an episode, Hannah appeared. She looked at the television. "My father hates reality TV."

Tessa didn't know, but wouldn't admit it. "That's why I'm watching now."

She braced herself for a passive aggressive remark, but Hannah sat on the sofa. Tessa glanced over to see Hannah watching.

Biting her lip, she slowly let it slip out as her teeth scraped it. "Who do you want to win?" As her question floated in the air, she held her breath.

"I like a couple, but I hate that one..."

Tessa laughed, mostly to release tension. "She's annoying."

"I know!"

Silence fell between them as Hannah stayed for another episode. They were watching together when Patrick arrived carrying pizza boxes.

He looked at the screen. "Reality TV. It's all fake."

Hannah said, "I told you."

Patrick eyed them, staring at the same screen. Tessa winked, and he smiled.

"Hey Hannah, how was your day?"

"Fine."

"Tess, where are the little girls?"

"At the beach with Gabby. They should be home."

Tessa lowered the recliner to stand. "Hannah, let me know what I miss."

"I can pause it. Dad, you'll have to leave the room later because your girlfriend likes reality TV."

Tessa smiled as she hobbled into the kitchen. Patrick walked toward her. "My girlfriend likes reality TV." He caressed her cheek and leaned towards her. "How was your day?" His mouth muted her answer. He kissed just long enough for her to miss his lips when he pulled away.

"My day was fine. I didn't watch TV alone."

He smiled. "I saw that. I want to kiss you again, but we need to round up kids to eat this pizza."

When she was alone with Patrick, everything felt right. As the kitchen became crowded, she felt the tension. Chloe was immune and happily showed Patrick her loose tooth.

"Can you pull it out?"

He wiggled it. "Nope. It's too soon."

She frowned. "You pulled Maya's."

"Chloe, he'll pull it, but you need to wiggle it more." Maya, Kevin and Gabby looked at Hannah. "What? I know about loose teeth. It's not a big deal."

Gabby asked, "Hannah, where's Ryder?"

"He's busy. Why does everyone ask that? We're going to the beach tomorrow before I work."

Tessa didn't comment, but Hannah's answer had changed. He was working, but now he was busy. She wasn't the only one who noticed the boyfriend wasn't around as much. Patrick's eyes caught hers. Had she outgrown him? She was leaving for college in a week, and Tessa was privately counting the days.

The kids dispersed from the table. Patrick held up his beer bottle. "I'll take this out to the deck and watch the girls, so you can finish your show. That way I can have your undivided attention after they're in bed."

He sent warm waves through her. "Are you sure?"

"Yup." He walked over to the staircase. "Hannah, come down!"

When Tessa began to stand with her crutches, he lifted her and carried her to the chair.

She warned, "You'll hurt your back if you keep this up."

"You're light."

"I'm getting heavier."

Hannah appeared when Tessa was in Patrick's arms. Her shirt had ridden up, showing off her belly and her shorts that were unsnapped and only zipped up halfway.

Hannah said, "You need new clothes."

Tessa pulled her shirt down as she settled in the chair. "I know, but with this cast I can only wear shorts or dresses."

Patrick looked as stunned as Tessa. "Okay, watch your show. I'm going outside."

Occasionally, one would make a comment. It became clear they were both routing for the same contestant. It was common ground for them. When the girls came in for tubs and bed, Hannah disappeared. When Tessa went upstairs to help, she planned to stay there until morning.

Patrick joined her as she read in bed. "How was your show?"

"Good, but weird. She wasn't mean at all. She wasn't acting like my new friend, but could we have a truce?"

"I hope so. I am so torn between wanting the tension to be gone and knowing I'm going to miss her like crazy."

"Her leaving is a big deal for both of you."

"I love the way you understand."

"She wears her heart on her sleeve. Do you think Deb has made progress with her?"

Patrick sighed. "I don't know. I don't want to worry about her when she's at school."

"Hopefully, you won't need to."

"Let's talk about something happier, like you and the girls officially moving in."

Tessa wanted to, but there was so much to consider. "Are you sure?"

"Why wouldn't I be? You're living here now. We need to give the girls an actual room. What do you want to do with your house?"

Tessa paused. They had never discussed finances. "It's not mine. It belongs to the trust set up for the girls."

"Is that how you haven't had to work?"

"I have his life insurance, but his trust fund can pay for the girls' expenses. I have to keep documentation."

"You don't have to sell your house. I know that would be a big step, although I am not looking at this as temporary."

"It's happening so fast. I need to go slow. I haven't even told David's family about you or the baby."

"Do they visit?"

"No, we usually visit two times a year. I avoided a trip this summer because of my ankle. We always spend Christmas with them."

"You won't be traveling this Christmas."

"I would never take your son away for Christmas or leave my son behind. Were we selfish that we didn't think of how this would affect others? First your kids and now Maya and Chloe's grandparents."

"I would never stop you from visiting. I'm lucky because I can send my kids on their own."

"I still don't know how we got from a few lunch dates to this!"

Patrick had a wicked smile. "Because I'm irresistible and we have amazing sex!"

"And you're full of yourself."

"I'd like to fill you with myself!" Patrick leaned in to kiss her neck. She wanted him. She always did, but he had kids out on the beach. They would have to wait.