63 - Strong

This is the second of a double update.

Tessa wanted to believe Kristi, but relationships were hard. Hannah was easy to believe because the sex was so good. How could it turn into a relationship? She had felt like it might. Shopping together, their dinner date, and the way he stayed with her at the party had her feeling comfortable. Maybe she was scared and hearing Hannah gave her an excuse to run.

She returned home angry with Patrick, but her anger turned to David. After the anger came the tears. She had spent the better part of her day mourning her husband. Patrick loving Erica shouldn't make her jealous, because she still loved David.

Kristi asked, "What do you really want?"

She thought of the baby. "I want his kids to give us a chance. I want a chance to figure out if what we have is even something."

Kristi smiled. "I don't want you to hurt him, but you don't deserve to be hurt either. Things are different now, not just because you are older and have kids, but you have both loved and lost. I can't imagine, but I know you are both strong because you've gone on."

"I don't feel strong."

"You are."

"Why are you being so nice to me? You hate me."

Kristi laughed. "I never hated you. I was being difficult. I don't know why. Maybe because you were becoming friendly with my closest friends. Maybe because you had secrets and I'm nosy. Give him a chance. I won't tell him I came here. That's up to you, but please talk to him. He wouldn't want you to give up on him because of something his daughter said."

"Do you know that Maya, my oldest, wanted to know why Hannah didn't like her?" Kristi sighed. "I spent an entire day trying to decide on the right gift for her. I wanted to show that I cared. I hope she liked it."

Kristi smiled. "I love Sasha's jewelry. Do you have any?"

"No. They're expensive. I didn't mind spending the money on Hannah though."

Kristi twisted the rings on her left hand. Tessa's left hand had been naked for a long time. "I was curious. You don't work." Tessa shook her head. "How do you support yourself?"

"My husband had insurance and family money. My girls have more money than me. Technically, this house is theirs."

"But you're okay financially?"

Tessa stared at her. "I don't need Patrick's money if that's what you're asking me."

"I wasn't. Don't assume all my motives are bad. I was curious. When in doubt assume I'm just nosy."

Tessa smiled. Kristi was nothing like she thought. Tessa had never met a woman who made fun of herself the way Kristi did. She was also brutally honest. No wonder Patrick relied on her.

"I'm fine. My in-laws will always take care of the girls. They are the only Simons of their generation." David's sister was a career woman who didn't want marriage or family. She doted on her nieces with gifts, but they weren't close to her. They weren't close to any of their aunts.

"I should go. I left Megan in charge of the neighborhood. Thanks for talking to me."

When she stood, Kristi threw her arms around her and hugged her. Tessa wasn't expecting it. "Count on me to support Patrick and as long as you're what he wants, then that means you too."

Tessa smiled. "But if I hurt him, you'll cut off my fingers."

Kristi laughed. "You still have the wrong impression of me."

Tessa agreed. She didn't know what to make of her. There was something about Kristi that made her want to open up. She had to stop herself from telling her the real reason she and Patrick needed to work things out. Even if Hannah accepted her being part of her father's life, she would never accept their baby or her children. She owed it to Patrick to talk to him, but she didn't believe they had a future, not when their own children needed to come first.