68 - Discipline

This is the second of a double update.

Hannah didn't go with him on the drive back to the airport. Gabby had an exam, so he was on his own. He regretted he hadn't asked Tessa. He would have enjoyed her company on the way home. As much as he wanted to run over to see Tessa, he had too much to do. On the top of his list was a long talk with his eldest child.

It didn't surprise him Hannah wasn't home when he returned with their weekly grocery order and his shirts from the dry cleaners. He normally exchanged dirty shirts for cleaned, pressed ones on Saturdays. He hadn't because of the party and had to wear his last least favorite shirt on Tuesday. If he added the errand to his Wednesday chores, he wouldn't need to wait in line on Saturdays. There was always someone he knew in the dry cleaner line. He didn't mind making small talk like he did with his patients. Most recently, he noticed smiles, which left him feeling uncomfortable. Did everyone in town know he was dating?

He thought about inviting Tessa for dinner, but he wanted to see how his conversation with Hannah went. He had already invited them for Friday.

Too much hadn't been done because of his company and graduation. Besides the regular laundry, there were extra sheets and towels from the four guests. Would four others live with them someday? He didn't want to think about how they would fit. There wasn't even a bedroom for the baby.

Gabby sat at the counter eating lunch when he returned. Dropping grocery bags, he looked around.

"Where's Hannah?"

"I dunno. She wasn't here when I came home. I had the car so..."

She was either at the beach or a friend picked her up. The girls shared Erica's car. It wasn't new, but it worked. The sharing part often caused conflict, but he did his best to stay out of it.

He glanced out the window. It was overcast and not warm. He doubted she would be at the beach. It wasn't beach weather, but it was surfing weather. Unfortunately, he had too much to do. He was too busy for Tessa and surfing.

He texted Hannah to ask where she was. While he waited for a response, he carried in more grocery bags. Gabby helped to unpack and put the food away.

His phone chimed while he was carrying his clean shirts to his room.

H: at the mall with Lexie. Work at 5.

P: Be home by 4

H: why?

P: because I want you to

H: why?

She frustrated him. Gabby would have responded okay, but Hannah tested him. He had fallen into her trap and argued with her over text too many times.

P: 4

He wouldn't reply to anymore of her texts. Meanwhile, he stripped the bed in Gabby's room where his parents stayed and the pull-out sofa in the bonus room where the girls had slept. Logan had slept on an air mattress in Kevin's room. He took those sheets and deflated the bed.

He was moving wet clothes to the dryer when he heard her voice. He lifted the basket of clean sheets and left the laundry room.

"Look at you. Dr. Domestic."

"If you came to tease me, you can help."

He lifted a flat sheet and handed an end to Kristi.

"Sorry. You're so easy to tease." He rolled his eyes. "Is everything fine with Tessa?"

He nodded. "What did you know?"

"I spent two days with your mother. Hannah was complaining, and her cousins told her what you were mad about."