56 - Nice

Double update today.

The second Simon-Bennett dinner went better than the first. Partly because Hannah didn't come home until after they had eaten. As much as Gabby and Kevin tried to keep their distance from Tessa, they were kind to her girls.

Kevin was excited when he heard about "Doc pulling Maya's tooth". Maya told him about it as soon as he arrived. He even volunteered to take them to the beach. Tessa had lines on her forehead, and Patrick knew she wasn't comfortable with that plan.

Patrick said, "We'll walk down too."

She turned to smile at him, and it reminded him of their afternoon. He was still tingling from what felt like the greatest sex in his memory. Even in his own head, he couldn't give her the top spot over Erica. It was hard to remember twenty years before when they first met. He remembered how she looked and how much he had been determined to have her. After he finally succeeded, it all blended into moments of bliss.

He didn't feel bliss with Tessa unless they were alone. Dealing with moody teenagers and little girls was not blissful. Walking to the beach holding hands while Chloe held his other and Maya held Tessa's was nice. He dropped Tessa's hand when they reached the dunes. He didn't want Kevin or Gabby to see.

It was a warm day, so the beach was full of neighbors and Kristi waved them over. She wanted a report on the party.

Tessa said, "He checked off everything on his list."

Kristi smiled. Patrick made a face at her because he knew from her smile he had surprised her. Tessa had kept him focused. He would probably still be walking around the warehouse store when the kids came home from school if he had gone without her.

"Thank you." Kristi looked right at Tessa. Hopefully, this was part of Kristi's thawing.

He had never felt so popular on the beach. Once his kids disappeared with their friends. He rested his hand on Tessa's back. He liked the electricity that came from their connection, but also he wanted to prove they were a couple. His motivation was Tessa's reputation. When the pregnancy became public, he didn't want anyone to remember they hardly knew each other at the time of conception. He only cared what his kids thought of him, but Tessa was different.

They gathered the girls and returned to the house before the teens. He showed them a bin in the garage filled with outside toys from when his kids were small - balls, jump ropes, hula hoops, chalk. Tessa instructed them to stay on the driveway or in the backyard.

His favorite part was letting Tessa make dinner in his kitchen. It had been a long time since a real cook worked there. Their conversation was easier when they weren't trying. They were laughing over something silly when Gabby and Kevin came home.

They both stopped as if guilty when the four eyes stared at them. He bit his tongue because he almost apologized to them. For what? Being happy? Laughing with a woman who was not their mother?

"I'll just check on the girls." Tessa walked away, leaving him alone with his children.

"Dinner's almost ready. Tessa's cooking so be nice."

Gabby sighed. "We're not Hannah."

"Thank you. Gabs." He put his arm around her and gave her a squeeze.

Kevin said, "I'll agree to be nice if you don't hug me."

"Kev, I won't hug you now." He smiled a warning to let his son know he wasn't too old for a hug from his dad. "Watch me hug my father on Friday."

Gabby said, "Are they going to come over?" She cocked her head towards the front of the house.

"Grandma wants to meet Tessa."

"You told her!" Kevin's voice squeaked and Patrick felt for him as his cheeks took on a red hue.

"Of course. I'm not hiding anything unlike your sister."

"You did." Gabby reminded him.

"Only because I promised not to get you kids involved unless I liked the woman. I like her and I hope you'll decide you do too."

The screen door made its slamming sound and the two girls appeared, followed by Tessa. She scanned their faces. "Is everything okay here? Your father didn't ruin dinner, did he?"

"Hey!" He knew she was trying to ease the tension.

"She's joking, Dad." Gabby rolled her eyes.

He smiled. "I know." He winked at Tessa. "Gabs teach the girls how to set the table. No one is a guest in this house."

Tessa smiled. "They've been putting their dishes in the dishwasher at home."

"You're welcome." He winked at her.

Dinner with their guests was not like the typical Bennett family meal. It was quieter. Normally his kids never shut up, but it was Chloe and Maya who talked, both immune to the tension.

They were just finishing when Hannah and Ryder appeared. For a kid with no money, he never worked, but Patrick bit his tongue. It should be indented he did bit it so often.

"Oh, you're here." Hannah said, looking around the room.

He ignored her remark and asked how her day was. She was happy to have his attention while the rest cleared their plates and disappeared. Except for Tessa, who talked softly to Ryder and handing him a plate.

"Hannah, are you hungry too?" Tessa's voice was soft and lacked confidence.

Patrick wanted to tell her not to let Hannah steamroll her. Tessa smiled when Hannah took the plate. Patrick kept the conversation going by discussing his party preparations.

"Tessa was a great help. You don't have to thank her, but I expect you to be polite when she is here on Saturday."

Hannah's mouth opened and closed it, but she looked at Ryder. Did Ryder's presence change her response? Would he have to like the kid? He already knew his mother would give him a hard time if he didn't. He was feeling like a child and she hadn't arrived yet.

With a truce for an undisclosed time, Tessa left to put the girls to bed. His kitchen was clean, and they had enough leftovers that Kevin wouldn't have to cook before awards night. It was going to be a rush just getting home from work and getting to the school on time.

Keep scrolling.