53 - Chaperone

This is the second of a double update.

Patrick looked at Tessa across the table in the quiet restaurant. He wished he could convince her to not be too hard on herself.

"You said yourself you were on the verge of reevaluating your priorities. You were also young. I was no different. We should have waited until I was practicing to start our family. You had a nanny to raise your daughters. I had a wife and neglected her and my daughters."

She didn't reply, which was just as well because the server stopped to get their drink order and to tell them the specials.

"Two sparkling waters, please."

"You can have a drink."

He shook his head. "It's fine. I'm driving. I'm not encouraging you to go out just because I'm selfish. I believe a balanced life makes a better parent."

"You sound like my mother."

"She knows what she's talking about. You need to feed your soul. I would encourage you to go out with friends although I like you to spend time with me. Summer's coming and you can't be with them twenty-four-seven."

Propping her up felt good. He hoped if he told her often enough, she would eventually believe him. Knowing her background helped him to understand her motives.

Her insecurities were oddly refreshing after Noelle and the woman in Hawaii. Both had no problems going after what they wanted. He was certain Tessa didn't think she deserved to be with him, just like she didn't realize she was beautiful. Maybe he was old-fashioned, but he liked the idea of rescuing her from herself.

"Everything looks so rich." He looked up to see her studying the menu.

"Is that okay?"

She nodded. "Just as long as you don't mind if I can't eat a lot." Mind? He felt responsible. "You can have my doggie bag."

He had heard the duck was renowned, but he was afraid it would be too rich, so he chose the beef bourguignon. The server insisted it was an excellent choice. Tessa ordered a lighter chicken dish. They kept the conversation light and laughed at their kids' antics.

"Your kids have the whole sibling thing. My girls think they're best friends. They are nothing like me and my sisters."

"Tell me about it. My mother was a referee for years. I feel that way now and think about what I put her through."

Tessa had pushed her plate towards Patrick after eating very little. He tasted her chicken; it was amazing. No chicken he had ever cooked tasted like that.

Patrick rubbed his thumb across her knuckles. "Dessert at your house."

Adorable pink crept into her cheeks. "I fear you only like me for one thing."

He lowered his voice. "I can think of more than one thing, but I like your company too."

He also liked her smile when he complimented her. He asked for the check, declining dessert.

Returning to Tessa's house, her mother was full of smiles. She peppered them with questions about where they went and what they ate. He impressed her with his restaurant choice.

Kim said, "I should get your father to take me."

Tessa asked how the girls were and she began explaining their entire evening. He looked at his watch. If she continued talking, he might have to leave with no time alone.

He shifted his feet and eventually walked into the kitchen for some water. He offered the glass to Tessa, who smiled and took it from him.

"Look at him, such a gentleman."

He smiled and took out his phone to ensure Kevin was home. It vibrated in his hand.

"Gabby!"

"Dad, Hannah's friends were hanging around the ice cream shack. She's going down the beach after she finishes work."

He sighed. "Is Kevin home?"

"Yah. What do I do if she brings them home?"

"Nothing. I'll be home soon."

He looked up from his phone. "I have to go."

Tessa looked either disappointed or annoyed. He felt disappointed as she followed him downstairs.

Once by the door, she said, "Sorry. She won't leave until I tell her everything."

"Everything?" He kissed her and groaned. "Not the dessert I had in mind."

"I know. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I need to chaperone. Your mother and I have that in common. Don't forget the tooth fairy." He brushed her lips and left.

Dating with teenagers was impossible.

Promises (TP 6)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें