10 - War is over

Patrick looked at Kristi's text and smiled. She would only hear what he wanted her to.

Noelle had suggested a casual evening, not that he knew what it meant, but he decided on jeans.

He inspected himself while he was shaving. He probably could pinch an inch on his sides, but he didn't have the belly some men developed with age. His chest was broad and not overly hairy. Did women expect men to wax? That just wasn't his thing, although he had seen funny scenes in movies. He didn't want hot wax on his chest, never mind his balls.

He was being presumptuous that he would take his shirt off. He didn't want to start the evening with the wrong expectations. He felt resolved as he splashed on some aftershave.

When he announced he was going out again, Hannah had the most questions.

"Do you like her?"

"She's nice."

"I mean, do you really like her?"

He sighed. "I like her enough to spend another evening with her."

Gabby asked, "Is she pretty?"

Was she? "I guess." His noncommittal was telling to himself. She was nice enough to look at. When she smiled, she was pretty.

Hannah exclaimed, "Not as pretty as Mom!"

He shook his head. "Mom was beautiful."

Hannah looked pleased with his answer, but he turned away so she didn't see she made him tear up. Gabby must have. She put her arms around him.

"It's okay, Daddy. I know you'll always love her."

He pulled her around so he could embrace her and kiss her head. "We all will. No matter what."

That was how his weekend started, but Saturday got better when he and Kevin spent some time on the ocean. That evening, Hannah agreed to stay home with Kevin. He suspected she wanted to make sure he came home at a reasonable time. His dating couldn't be easy on her.

Just before he left, he stood in front of Hannah, who was watching TV. "Just so you know, next Saturday is Dr. Korra's birthday party. I'll be going out, but not on a date."

She shrugged as if she didn't care.

"Bye, guys."

Two out of three responded.

Kristi was waiting for him when he walked into The Landing on Wednesday morning. Rick waved, but he was deep in conversation with John Harris. Alice had a mug of coffee on the counter before he reached it.

"Great service." He smiled.

"Can I tempt you with something sweet?"

"Nah, I'm sweet enough." He could imagine eye rolls from both his girls. It was a dad joke, but Alice laughed like she had never heard it before. If Kristi was next to him, she would have interpreted sweet to mean something else entirely.

Flashes of Saturday night came back to him. Shaking them away, he hoped he wasn't blushing. He found out the definition of a casual night. It meant takeout and no clothes. The sex was good, but truthfully it was just sex. For twenty years, he had made love to his wife in an act that brought them closer. There was a giving and taking of not just pleasure, but love.

There was no love involved with what he did with Noelle. The chances of any developing were slim. When he started dressing at ten-thirty, she asked him to stay over.

Shaking his head, he said, "I have to get home to my kids."

"Kids! You told me you weren't divorced. How often do you have them?"