72 - Dirty

Tessa looked in the mirror, as she tied her hair back in a scrunchie. Her face had some color from being outside, and her scoop neck was enhanced by her enlarged breasts. Her body hid all the other changes happening inside.

She waited for Patrick, who had fed his kids first. Her girls had baths and were in their pajamas. They had a busy day because her mother wanted to celebrate the end of the school year, so they went out to lunch.

Kim Murray studied her daughter. "You look good."

"I am good, Mom."

"So you're still seeing the doctor?"

She nodded. "Patrick."

"And you like him? It's going well?"

"Yes, and yes... considering."

"Considering what?" Her mother looked concerned.

"Considering his oldest is protective of her mother's memory and sees me as a threat."

"Oh."

"Oh, is right. Patrick defends me, but I don't want to cause problems between him and his daughter. Although she..."

"She, what?"

"She likes to cause problems between us."

"She sounds like a piece of work."

Tessa sighed. "I keep needing to remind myself she's hurting."

Tessa was still in her room when Patrick walked into her house calling out a greeting.

When she walked into the living room, Chloe was hanging from him with her legs wrapped around his leg.

"Help! A monster's attacking me!" He winked at her.

Giggles filled the room. "I'm not a monster."

He reached down and picked her up in his arms. "Mm. I remember the smell of clean children."

Tessa loved the smell of baby shampoo, and her girls' hair was still fine enough to use it.

"We were dirty. Doc." Chloe clung to his neck.

He laughed. Tessa laughed too, knowing he could misconstrue her words. Gaining control, she said, "They helped grandpa in his garden all afternoon."

"And what did Mommy do while they were gardening?"

"She tried to avoid her mother's prying questions."

His look told her he wanted to hear more. Tessa felt an odd sensation in her belly. Was it because he cared about her? Or because she wanted him to?

He turned his attention away from her. "Maya, did you have fun in the garden?"

She looked up from her book. "Uh, huh."

"What're you reading?" She held up her book. She had recently started reading a mystery series.

"I remember reading those with Hannah. Believe it or not, they've been around that long."

She shrugged. Tessa rolled her eyes and murmured. "Maybe she and Hannah have more than book preferences in common." He frowned slightly. She looked away. "Girls, it's time for your story."

Chloe had wiggled out of Patrick's arms and bounced around. "Can Doc read to us?"

Tessa spoke before Maya expressed her opinion. "We can read together, if Doc doesn't mind." He smiled. "Okay, let's go."

"Come see our room." Chloe took his hand.

Tessa whispered so only he could hear. "I might be jealous."