52 - Favorites

Double update today.

Tessa stood in the kitchen while her girls ate macaroni.

"Mommy, why aren't you eating?" Chloe asked.

"Remember, I said I was going out to eat?"

"Why?" Maya asked.

"Because Doc invited me."

Chloe had called Patrick Doc, and it was easy to encourage it.

"What about Kevin?" Chloe asked.

"I guess he'll be eating at home with his sisters. Grammy is coming to stay with you."

"Can't we have a sleepover at Grammy's? You always say we can, but we never do."

"Maybe another time, okay."

The girls were still eating when her mother arrived. "Go get ready, Tessie."

She didn't know what to wear. Patrick had only said he had a reservation in Portland. She resurrected a summer dress she wore in her previous life. Hopefully, it wasn't completely out of style. It definitely wasn't too long, and she worried it was too short.

Her mother smiled. "You look beautiful. Doesn't she girls?"

"Beautiful." Maya agreed.

"Chloe was telling me about your friend. I thought you said he was a doctor not a dentist."

"He's both. He's an oral surgeon."

"A dentist and a doctor! I didn't know."

She shook her head. "Most people don't."

"He wants to pull Maya's tooth." Chloe bounced around. She was still dressed in her dance costume. Tessa wouldn't put it past her mother to let her sleep in it.

She paced waiting for him and was surprised to hear the doorbell. He usually just walked in. She walked down the stairs to let him in.

His mouth was agape. "I should take you out more often if you're going to dress like that."

She let out a nervous giggle as he brushed his lips against hers. Just as quickly, she pulled away. "My mother's upstairs. You can't get away without meeting her. I'd say now would be better because the girls are up."

He looked at his watch. "We have time."

She felt his eyes on her as she climbed the stairs ahead of him. He dressed in dress pants and a button down but no tie. She watched her mother's face as she looked at Patrick. Her mother would never shut up about how handsome he was. She had been the same way with David.

"Mom, this is Patrick Bennett. My mother Kim Murray."

He reached out his hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Doc! Doc come see Maya's tooth."

Patrick turned to Chloe and smiled. "Only if Maya wants me to see it. You know it's my day off, but I'll make a house call for my favorite patients."

"Are we your favorites?" Chloe had a big smile.

"Absolutely. Especially because I like dancers. You look very special."

Tessa smiled. If she was going to have a baby, she was glad Patrick would be its father.

"Will it hurt?" Maya was more timid than her younger sister.

He shook his head. "I'll just look and only touch if I know it won't hurt more than a little poke."

He walked into the kitchen and came back with paper towels. "Okay. I scrubbed my hands for surgery and if you lie here." He pointed to the sofa. "Head here." He patted the armrest. "Here's your bib, just like at the dentist."