91 - Notice

Double update today.

Dan came home smiling. He had been on edge about giving his notice and severing ties with the bank after two decades.

"I did it. They didn't escort me out, but they're encouraging me to take my vacation. Friday is my last day. It feels surreal. Word got out and there's talk of drinks after work. Will you meet me?"

Her head was spinning. It had happened so fast, but she nodded. "How many weeks will you be off?"

He shrugged. "We haven't firmed up my start date. I don't want to hang around for weeks thinking about the new job. I'd rather take a week to decompress and then get started."

"Summer is almost over. I promised to take Hannah shopping next week."

"That's fine. Maybe I can convince Peter to take a day off and we can take the kids to the water park for the day."

Kristi smiled. Dan may not be athletic, but he loved flying down tubes and landing in a pool of water. "We can celebrate Friday night. Maybe Megan will take the kids."

Dan went upstairs to change out of his work clothes, while she tossed a salad. The door slammed, and the three boys appeared.

Ben said, "We're hungry."

"It's time for dinner. Your father is home. Kevin's father is home. Nick is yours home?" She hadn't noticed Peter's car.

He shook his head. "Working late."

"I bet your mom has dinner ready. Kevin, how are you feeling?"

He shrugged. "It's weird."

Ben said, "You better not do that to me!"

"Do what?" Dan asked.

"Do what Doc did to Kevin?"

Dan looked from Ben to Kristi. "What did he do?"

Kristi said, "We'll talk in a minute. Boys, go home before I get texts. Nick, send Ivy home and Kevin be happy. Your dad is."

The boy didn't respond. Dan waited for her to explain after Ben left the room.

"Wine?" Dan held up an empty glass.

She smiled and nodded. "It's good news, and it doesn't involve me."

"I'll decide that. Nothing happens without some involvement from you."

Kristi laughed and had trouble stopping. "I was not involved in getting Tessa pregnant!"

Dan's mouth formed an oh. He laughed. "Nope, we're not doing that to Ben. What is Patrick thinking?"

"There are those moments when men cannot think." She teased.

Dan smiled. "And his kids know?"

"He told them today. Hannah wasn't happy before. I've worried about what she would do with this news."

He frowned. "You knew and didn't tell me."

She nodded. "It was Patrick's secret. I can keep secrets."

He smiled and shook his head. "A baby at forty-something. No, thank you!"

Kristi smiled. Patrick was happy or would be if his kids were.

Keep scrolling...