95 - Fall

A month and a half later...

She left early to navigate the traffic. When Patrick told her Hannah preferred Tessa to pick her up for the long weekend rather than taking the bus, she was surprised. Tessa was still unsure of her relationship with Hannah.

Patrick came home from bringing Hannah to school in August, and he smiled as he told her Hannah had broken up with Ryder. If Hannah had rewritten the story, Tessa didn't care. She was just glad her heart or pride had healed. What Tessa wasn't sure about was if there was a thaw or not? She hoped so because on the Saturday after Thanksgiving she would be her stepmother for better or for worse. Patrick's parents were coming, and they were planning a very small ceremony at the Inn. It was where they had their first dance.

Tessa wasn't thrilled about being so large in her wedding dress. Patrick stopped joking about her father owning a shotgun, because he did. He liked to hunt deer, Patrick's face went pale when she told him. She smiled. Just thinking about Patrick made her smile.

Alex went right to work on the construction. It didn't take long to build a few walls and do the finished work. She loved the girls' room. Patrick insisted the girls should pick out the color and new bedding. They had never complained about not having their belongings all summer, but they were happier with their things. It felt like home. Even her pictures with David had found a place with Erica in the house. They kept their first spouses out of the bedroom. They didn't need to know what they were missing.

Tessa felt she belonged when she walked into the closet and saw her clothes across from Patrick's. She liked to sniff and touch his crisp starched shirts, remembering her name for him when she didn't know him.

Following the GPS, she made her way and found parking. She texted Hannah and waited for her to meet her. She almost didn't recognize her. Smiling, the teen looked more mature. She picked up the pace when she saw Tessa. Beside her was another girl carrying a bag.

She stopped in front of Tessa. "Hi Tessa! Look at you! Daisy, this is my soon to be stepmother and my baby brother!"

Tessa just smiled, caught off guard by Hannah's introduction.

"Oh, nice to meet you. Hannah has talked about her amazing family. I'm an only child, so."

"Hey, you don't mind if Daisy comes home with us, do you? She's from California and can't go home."

Tessa laughed. "What's one more in our house? Your room is waiting for you. Come on, let's hit the road."

Once she navigated out of the city traffic, she could listen to the girls talk. Hannah sounded truly happy.

"So Hannah, have you met any cute guys?"

She saw her smile. "Maybe."

"Is he a good student? Don't make my mistake. The guy I dated liked to party. He dumped me when he flunked out."

"You're kidding! Does Dad know about that?"

She shook her head. "Not the whole story. I keep secrets too. Your Dad was glad you broke up with Ryder."

"You didn't tell him?"

"No, a promise is a promise."

"Thanks, Tessa. I'm really glad we have you."

Tessa smiled and made light of the breakthrough. "Good thing or you two would be on the bus or the train." Hannah laughed. "Hannah, your dad is going to be glad to see you. He really missed you."

Hannah smiled. There was no shadow cast over her. Tessa kept thinking, Patrick will be so happy to see his daughter like this.

"Tell me everything, I've missed. Is Kevin still chasing Sophie? Does he like high school? How's Gabby? Do Maya and Chloe like school?"

Tessa smiled and wondered where to start.

A/N I know some of you were really frustrated with Hannah. Although it was a trillion chapters, she found out about Tessa the end of May and left for school the end of August.