51 - Home

Kristi and Megan walked to Plover Way with just Abbie in tow. She didn't want to think about what came next with the older kids - boyfriends and girlfriends, the dunes. They were still too young, she hoped.

Dan was already home. It was early for him, even on a Friday night. "Dan!" She called through her quiet house. She busied herself mixing the canned dog food into the dry kibble for Tucker's dinner.

He appeared a few minutes later wearing shorts with bare feet. He looked tired and strained. She watched as he went to the cupboard and pulled out the gin bottle.

"Do you want one?"

She shook her head. A gin and tonic was refreshing on a hot summer day, but it wasn't hot or summer enough. It required a day on the beach with sun kissed skin and sand stuck to her feet with the scent of sunscreen even after a shower.

"Bad day?"

He looked at her for a moment, not sure how to answer. "That's up for interpretation. Is Megan feeding the kids?"

"Yeah. How did you know?" Kristi felt the sour in her stomach, crawling up towards her throat.

"I asked her. I need to tell you something."

"What's wrong? I'm worried. I knew it. Patrick said I was crazy, but I know I was right. You have some floozy in New Jersey, don't you? Dont lie to me Daniel Probst!"

"My God, Woman calm down. Is that what you've been thinking? I wish you would talk to me and not Patrick."

"Why so you could lie to me?"

"I'm the one who should be jealous. I let you spend time with him. I trust my friend ninety-nine percent of the time, but that other percent." He shook his head. "I wonder."

"You just changed this from what you've done."

"I haven't done anything. If you let me talk, I'll explain."

"Fine." She needed a drink after all and poured herself a glass of wine from an open bottle in the fridge.

"Kris. I know you hated this project I've been on. I did too, but I also knew it was getting me recognized. In fact, it worked. They've offered me a promotion."

"What? Why did you freak me out? We should celebrate!"

He shook his head and she couldn't understand. "Kris, it's in the New Jersey office. They want me to transfer."

She was numb, dazed, and in shock. The glass slipped out of her hand and shattered on the floor. The crash snapped her out of it and she stepped back towards the sink and grabbed a towel.

"Kris, let me."

"No, you have bare feet! Grab Tucker!" She didn't want the glass to cut either of them.

"Babe, you do too." He said as he held the dog back from stepping into the mess.

She looked down at her legs, which had been splashed with wine. She had some mica flecks stuck to her skin from the sand. She felt a tear. She loved the beach and the sand. She loved The Point. Years ago, she and Dan had been excited about his transfer that brought them to Portland. They were tired of the crowds in Chicago and of the Midwest. They were young enough to want an adventure. When they found The Point, it felt like home immediately.

The Point was her life, her family. She couldn't take their kids away from their friends. Ben was ready to start high school. He had talked about going to Megan's school since he was little. Ivy was in middle school, which was a hard time for girls, but she had Sophie and Keira.

"Go clean yourself up. I'll get shoes and take care of this. Come on. Good boy!"

She stepped around the perimeter away from the glass and went upstairs. She didn't argue with him, although she knew he would never clean the floor right. It would be sticky for days. She sat on the closed lid of the toilet in her bathroom. It was a beautiful room. Alex knew how to do bathrooms. He was just a single guy starting out when they hired him to rebuild their house. She had watched him date the wrong woman and years later his wife gave birth to their second child. This was her family. She didn't want to think about Patrick. He still needed her. Even if he had Tessa, he needed a friend and Hannah did too.