77 - Seance

Double update today.

Dan let Patrick in when he knocked at their door the morning of the fourth. They hadn't met for coffee the day before because of his appointment.

"You don't look thrilled for a man who's in love." Kristi teased, hoping to gauge his reaction.

"I didn't sleep well. Because you are so nosy..." Dan snorted and Kristi threw him a dirty look. "I promise as soon as I figure it out, you'll be the second one I tell."

"So what has you sleepless?"

"Hannah."

"I should have known. But you and Tessa are good?"

He smiled. "They're staying over tonight because of the traffic getting off The Point. The girls can get to bed earlier after fireworks."

She smiled. "Is that the reason? That's a big move."

This wasn't news to her. She overheard Kevin telling the others. She was in the laundry room while they were eating lunch in her kitchen.

None of the kids thought it was a big deal and Kevin just used the word 'weird'. Sophie said she liked Tessa and asked Kevin if he did. He answered he did. Kristi couldn't be sure if it was to please Sophie.

He shrugged at her comment it was a big move. "Only because of Hannah. In the middle of the night, I was angry with Erica."

"Why?" Kristi wasn't sure which friend to protect. She looked at Patrick with his face in his hands and was reminded that he let her in in ways Erica never had. They had been good friends, but never confidants.

He looked up. His eyes were bloodshot. Dan handed him a cup of coffee and he nodded. "Because she should have told Hannah she wanted me to find someone else. I think hearing it from her mother will be the only way she'll accept it."

Kristi couldn't stop herself. "Are you planning a seance?" He sighed. "Does she still have the boyfriend?"

He nodded. "She announced she wants a birthday party with only people she likes in front of Tessa. Oh, and she returned Tessa's gift and spent the money at the mall."

"That was an expensive gift. Could she even afford it?"

"We haven't discussed anything financial."

Kristi said, "Her husband came from money."

Patrick nodded, but didn't respond. "So Sunday, if you're free, we'll be celebrating Hannah's eighteenth with lobsters."

"We'll be there. Maybe I'll ask my friend to join us. She's a single mother of two."

Patrick shook his head. "Don't! Tessa understands. Dan, control your wife!"

Dan shook his head and laughed. "Sorry. Kris!"

"Why can't men take a joke? I was kidding."

"Dan, how's life at the bank?"

Dan shrugged. "It's going."

"Still traveling?"

"No. I'm done."

Kristi noticed Dan's frown.

Patrick said, "You don't sound too excited."

"It's just that there are some changes happening. A lot of functions are moving out of the Portland office. I've put some feelers out. We'll see."

"You've what?" He told Patrick something he hadn't told her.

He sighed. "I just met with a guy to see if there is something out there not at a bank."

"Like a real company." He nodded. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Dan looked her in the eye. "Because it was preliminary."

Patrick interrupted. "I'm going to go."

Patrick walked out the door while she faced off with Dan. It embarrassed Kristi to have a discussion in front of their friend.

"Why did you tell Patrick all that? I dealt with the pressure of your promotion without telling anyone, not Megan or Patrick."

Dan frowned. "It's not a secret or a big deal."

"Except to me!"

"Come on, Kris. Patrick asked. He's our friend."

"Have you told Peter?"

Dan nodded. "He's my best friend. You talk to everyone about everything. Why wouldn't I?"

"I kept it all to myself. I wanted to prove to you I could, and now I found out you didn't notice or care."

"I care." Dan stepped towards her. Was she angry with him because he talked to his friends? She let him pull her into his arms. "Kris, you know I care. I love you."

It was hard to be mad at him when he kissed her behind her ear. "Where are the kids?" His mouth landed on hers so she couldn't answer. The kiss deepened, and she wondered if they could go upstairs and lock their door.

"Mom, Mom!" Was she hearing things?

Dan pulled back. Three boys were staring at them.

"You're worse than my father."

Kristi smiled at Kevin and Dan said, "Doubt that."

Ben said, "We're hungry. What's for lunch?"

"Sandwiches. So Kevin, what does Hannah think about the sleepover?"

He rolled his eyes. "I don't know why she cares. She's leaving. I'm the one who suddenly has little sisters. It's not that bad. She cooks better than any of us."

Dan laughed. "The kid has his priorities straight."

Kristi added, "Just remember she makes your Dad happy."

He nodded. Ben said, "Can we just eat?"

Keep scrolling.