"Nice hunting."

The man smiled at me. "For Alex...worth it. I've tested the plates myself, Alex. Keep this in case you need it. I know you'll avoid it because of the restriction it might give you fighting...I'll just feel better if you have it."

Ally ran a hand across the fabric. "Thank you. I mean it."

He huffed. "You better wear it and I'll save the cool stuff for you to open later." He pulled her in for a tight hug and she nodded her head. I felt my chest tighten as I watched the display. If this was the guy who taught her to fight when she was so young then I understood the expression and glossy eyes. "I got to go kid..." He choked out. "Don't think twice about using the shit I got you. Ok." He ordered her. She nodded. "Call me when you can. You let me know, ok."

He pulled away and gave her a tight smile and a nod, closing up the trunk he made sure it was tight and turned to me. "Can you guys load this up into some wheels on your own or you need a lift?"

I stuck my hands in my pockets and nodded. "We got it."

"You make her wear that vest." He needed reassuring and I nodded.

A few minutes later and Ally and I had the boxes and trunk loaded up in the rental. Without a word Ally got in the passenger seat and slammed the door. I settled in and started the engine, adjusted the seat and locked the doors.

"Kitten?" I asked and she sadly looked out the window.

"I'll be fine." She whispered. Putting the car in drive I pulled out of the lot and back towards the highway.

An hour later and Alex still hadn't said a word. She was tired so I pulled into a motel where you could park in front of your door and stopped in front of the office. Ally sat up and gave me a questioning look.

"I'll be back out. You're tired. I'm tired. It won't hurt to stop at this crappy place." She nodded and I got out of the car.

We brought the boxes in and dropped them beside the bed, Ally insisted it would be ok to leave the trunk locked up in the rear of the car.

"This wasn't a bad idea." Ally sighed and plopped on the bed and began removing her shoes.

"The front desk took cash." I slipped off my jacket and tossed it over the chair. It was actually a kid working at the desk and my SWAT badge freaked him out so he didn't put our stay in the books. Doesn't matter if he remembered me. He wouldn't see Alex.

"Name?" She tossed her own jacket and peeked through the blinds to the parking lot.

"Not yours." I responded. "Hungry?"

"No." She shook her head and glanced at the boxes.

"You sure. I could order something to the front desk instead of the room or find a gas station." Did she even eat today? I know I'm hungry. "I'm hungry too so I'll order a pizza that way if your hungry later it's here."

I called the kid at the desk and he informed me that there was a pizza oven and concessions at the desk. He offered to drop my order at the door, still thinking I was here on business, not wanting any trouble. I think he was high when I walked it and I smiled at his sudden eagerness to assist. Probably scarred him. I wasn't new. I know what's up.

Ally slipped her belt through the loops and stripped off her holster, hanging it on the headboard. Slipping my own side arm from my belt I set it on the night stand. Ally glanced at it and flipped the news channel on, pushing mute. "You knew I had it didn't you?"

"Yeah, Josh. I knew."

"I was a SWAT Agent. I still am I guess. Just taking a break. I was planning on a year of security work once I got back home before going back on a team." She paled slightly and I sat on the edge of the bed. "Don't freak out about it." I scooted closer so I could catch her expression. "Remember what I said about family." She nodded and there was a knock on the door. I nodded towards the bathroom and had Ally slip out of sight to be safe.