Chapter One Hundred Twelve

Start bij het begin

James walked into the other room, closing the door. "Who is it?", Lily asked, concerned.

"Remus- it's your dad.", he said quietly. "What's he doing here?", Sirius asked, his eyes flashing with anger. "I-", Remus stuttered.

"You don't have to go, I'll tell him to leave.", James said, pushing his hair back. "No, I'll go. Just- can you guys come with me?", Remus asked, taking a deep breath.

"Of course.", Peter said.

Remus walked in first, hesitantly looking at Lyall. "Hi.", he said, sitting down, a noticeable distance between them.

The other four of his friends stood, not saying anything. "Remus, I- I'm sorry.", Lyall started.

"You're sorry?", Sirius spat. Remus looked at him, a look of understanding passing as Sirius sighed, crossing his arms.

"You're sorry.", Remus said, but it wasn't a question. "I went to see Hope yesterday.", Lyall said, fixing his hazel eyes on Remus'.

"Oh.", was all Remus said, his voice catching in his throat. "I just- I just talked to her. And you were right, I was drunk. I talked to her, and you were right again. She would hate me for the way I treated you.", Lyall admitted.

Remus looked down, rubbing his thumb over the scar on his wrist. "I wanted to ask if you would go with me.", Lyall said, "To- er, to visit her.".

"Oh."

"I just wanted to ask, it's entirely up to you. We'd need to leave now though, we can come back before tonight. We can stay in our old house in Wales, if you'd like.", Lyall said quietly, "I've been sober ever since that day."

"I think I would like that, actually.", Remus said softly, looking his father in the eyes, "I just- we'll be back before tonight, right?", he asked, looking at his friends.

"Yes."

"I'll- I'll be right back, we'll leave in a few minutes.", Remus stuttered, as his friends followed him into the other room.

"Moony, is this the best idea?", James asked hesitantly. Peter nodded, "Yeah, last time- last time he hit you.".

"Because of us.", Sirius noted quietly, not looking into his face. Lily just looked at him, contemplating.

"He was drunk, guys. He's making an effort.", Remus sighed, "But as for the us thing, I'll tell him right now, and if he doesn't like it, I won't go.".

"Dad.", Remus started, coming back into the living room. Lyall turned around, looking at Sirius holding his hand.

"Mr. Lupin, I'm Remus' boyfriend.", Sirius said formally, holding out his hand.

"Well.", Lyall said awkwardly, shaking his hand, "I can tell that will take some getting used to.".

"I'll be back soon, guys, before we go trick or treating. Leave a note if the Order needs you.", Remus said, hugging his friends, and then kissing Sirius on the top of his head.

wales

The two of them apparated to Wales, landing in front of a familiar house. Remus wobbled, as Lyall grabbed him, steadying him. "You okay?", he asked.

Remus winced as his ears popped, waving his hand, "Werewolf thing.".

Lyall didn't say anything, just looking at him. "Oh. Should I not have mentioned-", Remus reddened.

The two of them walked in silence to the tombstone, which read:

Hope April Lupin

Born April 28, 1928

Died October 15, 1974

Loving Mother, Daughter, and Wife.

"Hi, Mum.", Remus said quietly, swallowing thickly, "Sorry I haven't been to see you in a while."

"Seventh year was- insane, that's what it was. I'm actually with- I'm with Sirius now. I'm- I'm gay, but I think you already knew that.", he coughed, "I'm living with James, Lily, Sirius, and Peter, and we're all a part of the Order. We're fighting Voldemort.".

"I-", Remus stuttered, not being able to find the words in English, "Dwi eisiau gwneud chi'n falch.", he whispered, in broken Welsh.

"I proper messed that one up.", he said, through a teary laugh, "I haven't really spoken Welsh since-".

Lyall stood without emotion, watching his only son. "I- I think the moons are getting a little worse. I- I think you can tell.", Remus said, gesturing at his scarred face.

"Rwy'n dy garu di.", Remus whispered, pressing a kiss to the flower, setting it on the ground.

"Dad, you can talk.", Remus said, after a beat. "What is that?", Lyall asked, pointing at the registration number on his neck.

"Oh- I got registered.", Remus said, pulling up his sweater. Lyall swore loudly, "Please don't tell me that Harold did it.".

"Um, he did. Why?", Remus asked, his heart pounding. His father put his hands to his face, "Fuck- the newspaper this morning said that all werewolves registered by him need to do it again. He was arrested, so they're not sure it worked.".

"What?", Remus asked, closing his eyes, "I can't do it again.".

"You don't have a choice.", Lyall whispered, running his hands through his hair. "You did.", Remus spat, turning to him. Lyall looked at him, his mouth dropping open.

"You called all werewolves monsters. You insulted Greyback, so he bit me.", Remus laughed, but there was no happiness in his eyes. "You do not speak to me that way!", Lyall yelled, his eyes fiery.

"No, you don't get to speak to me that way. You call me a monster, but you're the one who made me what I am.", Remus yelled, his face red.

"Remus!"

"Mum was the one that loved me. You only pretended to.", Remus cried, tears escaping his eyes, "The silver, the drinking. After Mum died, you- you hated me."

Lyall stared at him, "I didn't hate you.", he said quietly. "Don't think I didn't notice your ring.", Remus said, pointing to the silver ring on his finger.

"Thank you, for letting me talk to Mum. But I have to go get re-registered.", Remus said, his shoulders shaking, as he apparated, leaving his dad there.