"New student" Harry x reader

Start from the beginning

You were slightly confused. "I needed slight help getting to class, he was the only person around. Why? Is there a problem?" You ask looking at all of them. They all had slightly sour expressions on, as if there was something obvious.

"Well, you can't talk to him. Ginny has liked him for years, and you can't come barging in and steeling his attention from her." Hermione said pointing to Ginny.

"Um, if that's what would make her more comfortable around me, then sure." You say back. You didn't really see the big deal even if you did talk to Harry, but you needed to have girls to talk to in your year, so this was the only choice.

"Okay, good," Hermione huffed out. She fixed non-existing wrinkles from her uniform before walking out of the nearly empty classroom. Soon, the other girls followed after her, leaving you in the now empty classroom, other than you.

Over the past three weeks, Harry would be near you and attempt to make conversation, but each time you would give grim answers before busying yourself with another project. He didn't understand it, had he done something wrong for you to not like him?

Harry's seat had been switched with Seamus because he was talking with Ron during some of the lessons. And much to your fake displeasure, he was next to you in the next isle. Only a thin walkway separating you both.

He had been trying to get your attention, you had no idea why, but he did. This was one of the times you were flat out ignoring him, and hoping he would stop persisting before Hermione and Ginny got mad at you.

Before class he had called your name from not to far away from you, but you simply walked to your seat as if you never heard him in the first place.

He tried once again before class started, but once again, you kept your focus on Parvati who was talking to you.

But the last straw was what had just happened.

McGonagall was talking and teaching. You were taking notes, pretending to be oblivious to Harry looking at you, and throwing small balls of paper. They landed on your desk, but you brushed them off and onto the floor, hoping he would get the memo.

No one else seemed to notice his behavior. You looked up from your paper slightly, trying not to look at him, but he seemed to take it that his plan was working.

He threw a bigger paper ball at you, but not aiming to hit you, or land on your desk. Rather to land next to you so he had a reason to get up and go near you.

He threw it while no-one was looking, and then swiftly got up from his seat and went closer. He put a hand on your desk, leaning slightly closer.

"Why don't you talk to me?" He whispered. You paid no mind to him, and looked back down at your paper, continuing to write things down.

"Have I done something wrong?" He whispered again. This time a little louder but not audible enough for McGonagall to turn from her teaching on the blackboard.

When he saw nothing happened, he nudged your paper, causing you to mess up one of your letters. He muttered a small 'oops' after.

He bent down the small amount to get the paper. As he came up, he slightly pulled on some of your hair, then you finally snapped.

Abruptly, you stood up. Grabbing a book that was on your shared desk, you smacked him clean across the face. All while shouting, "IM NOT TALKING TO YOU!"

The book was falling apart when you got it, and when you hit him, it caused the front cover to slightly rip off, so it hung slightly from the rest of the beat up book.

You froze in your spot right after you had done it, shocked you actually did it. Harry looked shocked as well, but still moved a little bit. You could tell it didn't hurt, and it was more shocking than anything.

There were gasps heard and an angry call of your name.

"Miss (or mister) y/n! That will be a detention, this Friday, after dinner. You will not hit others in the face with books!" McGonagall shouted from her desk in the front of the room. Your grip on the book tightened in your hand, and you slam it down on the table before hastily sitting back down in your seat.

You didn't dare look at him, what if he had a smirk on his face? What if this was payback for you ignoring him? Was he trying to embarrass you? Why? You asked yourself in your mind.

"But professor, it's not their fault, I was the-" Harry started, but McGonagall cut him off shortly.

"No buts mr. Potter. You should not have been out of your assigned seat anyways, but it will not happen again. Do you hear me?" She asked sternly while looking at Harry with one that could kill.

"Y-yes professor." Harry answered in defeat. He slumped down in his seat while Ron gave him a bewildered look which Harry brushed off with a quick look.

He didn't mean to annoy you, or get you in trouble. He didn't know what he wanted. But as you gave him a cold glare and rushed out of the classroom first, he knew the next 3/4 of the year would be rough if he didn't figure it out soon.

——————————————————————————

And if you suspected that this had and was an Anne with an e reference, you are correct :) I just thought the whole Gilbert introduction was cute so yea.