Stalkers, Secrets and Lies - Chapter 22

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing here?" I asked curiously. Was someone in the hospital or something? My parents glanced at each other and my mom shifted uncomfortably.

"Err..... We came to see..... Ben, we came to see Ben." my dad said quietly whilst looking at his feet.

I laughed humorlessly. Of course they did, they came to visit him in the hospital even after they finally know the truth but yet they can't pick up the phone to say sorry to me. Wow they were worse than I thought.

Ethan hissed a string of expletives under his breath as his hold on me tightened. "You have got to be f*cking kidding me! You came to visit that lying cheating, son of a ...... seriously? You came to visit him after everything he's done?" Ethan growled looking murderously angry.

"He was bad, when the medics came he was unconscious! You broke so many of his bones that he could barely breathe." my mom hissed looking around to see if anyone had heard her.

Ethan laughed and ran his hand through his hair, "He's lucky I let him breathe at all." he growled through his teeth. I couldn't listen to this, I couldn't see this anymore. They knew the truth yet they'd still rather visit him than me, I guess old habits die hard. I tugged on Ethan's hand but he didn't move. "How long is he gonna be in for?" he asked my father glaring at him angrily.

"At least a week." my dad answered quietly.

"Well when he comes out you tell him from me that if he even thinks about her again, I'll hurt him so bad he'll wish I'd killed him last time." Ethan growled pulling me on the other side of his body so I didn't have to walk past my parents.

He guided me towards the door, it worried me a little that I wasn't desperately upset about cutting my parents from my life like this. Shouldn't I feel something? Shouldn't I at least shed a small tear that this would be the last time I'd see them and talk to them? I didn't feel anything. Not a single thing and that scared me a little but I'd grieved for them enough.

I wasn't losing anything cutting them out like this as we had nothing in the first place, I had no relationship with them anymore. We were just strangers who lived in the same house, both parties just looking at the other with distaste. There were times where I would lay awake thinking about when I was a little daddy's girl, and how he would take me to the park on a Saturday morning. When I thought about it I would miss those times, but even those memories of him were tainted by the look that I saw in his eyes when I told him the truth. I could never get rid of that look, I would always see that when I looked at them. So I'd just stop looking, I wasn't losing out, they were. They were losing out on seeing their grandchild, it was their loss not mine. I hope they understood that.

As we were just about to walk through the door my father called me making me stop. I didn't turn to look at him, I didn't want to, I didn't owe either of them anything.

"I'm so sorry Aaliyah, I should have believed you. I'm so sorry." he said his voice shaking.

I didn't answer I just started walking again gripping Ethan's hand tightly. I didn't look back, I was happy not feeling anything. If I looked back I would feel something, guilt maybe I don't know. It wasn't my fault that they wouldn't see my baby, would never hold him or her, none of this was my fault and I decided right then to start believing that. I never asked for any of this, what Ben did to me wasn't my fault and I needed to let it go completely. I refused to feel bad today, I had my perfect other half at my side and a picture of my little baby in my pocket, there was only good things for me and Ethan from now on.