Before he's even put his hand back down, she's climbing on the bed, clambering over the pillows to seat herself right beside him, snuggling into his side and offering the tub of ice cream to him. He picks up one of the spoons and digs in as she reaches over him to grab the remote off the nightstand and hits play. 'Jane the Virgin? Seriously?' 

'I've heard it's a good show,' is all she says, sounding way too innocent. He simply lets out another long suffering sigh and settles himself back against the headboard, preparing himself for what is undoubtedly going to be a cheesy rom-com of a show. 

***

By the time they get to the end of episode four, Varun is far more invested in the show than he's willing to admit - to anyone except the girl now sat in his lap that is. It's purely because it's Alia he's watching with that he feels no shame in expressing his disappointment at the way the show is going as she presses play on episode 5. 'Why is she fighting her feelings for Raf so hard?' he questions, frustration clear in his voice. 'I mean, I get it, Michael's a good guy but he's clearly not the right guy!' 

'He's sweet,' Alia comments, 'and she's been with him for ages.' 

'So what? Just because you've been with someone for years doesn't mean you should be with them forever,' he counters with a scoff. 

'Well no,' she says carefully; she's well aware of how that's a touchy subject for him - for them - one she doesn't want to touch with a ten foot barge pole. 'But Raf doesn't exactly make himself look like a good option either.' 

'Doesn't mean he's not a good guy. Maybe he has a reason for the act. Maybe he wants to protect himself.' Alia simply hums in agreement, aware that this passionate defence likely has nothing to do with the character, and waits for him to continue. 'I mean, it's clear that he has feelings for her too. But things are clearly majorly complicated between them and maybe he's scared of what will happen if he lets his walls down because, evidently, this guy has been hurt before.' 

'Are we still talking about Raf?' she questions, tilting her head up to look at him with a raised eyebrow. 

'Who else would we be talking about?' She pauses the show and gives him a rather pointed look but he continues to feign oblivion, simply staring at her like he hasn't a clue what she's on about. 

'Come on Varun, we both know that was way too passionate a defence to be about Rafael,' she deadpans, fixing him with a rather more intimidating stare, one that tells him not to bother trying to talk his way out of this one. And, though he's rather past the point of actually being scared by such looks, he knows that there's no way he's going to get around this by spewing out words until she gives up. 

So he doesn't bother to attempt it. 

Instead, he lifts a hand, gathers her hair and drapes it over her right shoulder. He feels her tense, knows that she knows exactly what he's doing and that there's a part of her that doesn't want to let him get away with it. Usually he wouldn't be too concerned about her internal debate, not when they're sat so close, when that familiar tension is simmering between them. But, given the topic of conversation, he knows that she's going to need more of a push. 

He doesn't entirely feel great about it but he's not yet ready to be having the conversation she wants - even if he knows that she's going to keep pushing all night, now that she's got this much out of him. So he pushes that small amount of guilt down and leans forwards, nuzzling his nose into her neck and wrapping his arms around her, pulling her closer into his body. 

A shiver runs down her spine and he grins, pressing his lips to the skin of her neck and running his hands over her arms until they cover hers. Slowly, her fingers uncurl and she drops the remote she's been holding onto, letting it thump onto the quilt. 

One Shots #VariaSquadजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें