Sadness

The worst part of this quarantine was the social isolation.  Briefly, I had escaped it's clutches through meditation. Back in my bubble of solitude for the past week, the isolation was actually a gnawing physical pain.

Everyday was Groundhogs Day.   All I did was wake up, maybe shower or brush my teeth, work on project/Zoom meeting, Netflix/Drink, go to sleep.  Rinse and repeat.

I was beginning to go numb again!

I was scared.  Scared that the darkness was creeping in again.  The hopelessness that made me forget the joys in life.  I was deep in the dark valleys of life, forgetting that it was possible to climb the mountains and see the sun again.

I hadn't opened the meditation app once, scared about the reality I might find myself in.  I felt like a wuss, but being Asher had been almost a little too much for my psyche to take.

But, I knew in my heart that if I didn't do something different that I would succumb to those dark whispers that were haunting me.  I was literally going to have to claw my way out to escape their clutches.

So I got up early one morning, showered, dressed, threw on a mask and stepped outside my house for the first time in a month.  As I walked outside my apartment for the first time, the sounds of traffic and the sun shining down on me felt strange.  I felt like I had somehow developed agoraphobia.

With baby steps, I found myself walking towards the neighborhood park, desperately needing a glimpse of nature to ground myself.  Sitting alone on a park bench, I sat watching the trees wave in the wind.  The sun beating down on my skin and warming my soul.  I saw the birds and I was envious of their ability to fly freely wherever they wanted.

I wanted that desperately!

It was right then and there that I finally realized the gift that I had been given through the meditation app.  Freedom!

I didn't have to stay in my fortress of solitude - I too could fly free!

_______________________________________
A/N

I just want to say that if anyone reading this is suffering from depression or contemplating harming themselves - please, please, please ASK for help!

You matter and you are loved even if you don't feel like it!!!!

I'm sorry #NS that you felt alone with your pain! You definitely were loved and will be missed!

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Hours: Available 24 hours. Languages: English, Spanish. 

Learn more

800-273-8255