A Promise | Miguel x Jo

[REQUESTED]

This ship was requested by Yuilesmollbeanuwu, thank you for requesting! Hope you enjoy!

I didn't know how to make this prompt work as well, but I still hope this is okay! I tried-

༶•┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈•༶

[MIGUEL]

"I'm sorry, I can't stay," I whisper sadly to the ombre-haired female, who was crying into my chest. I was being sent to work in the military, all families are to. It's the law to have one person per household, usually the males/sons (but if they aren't of age/ready to serve, then females do). I was leaving my family behind to serve my country, is what I'm trying to say.

"Please don't leave..," she whispered, as she clutched my jacket.

I tried to make a small smile, hugged her for the last time, then whispered...

" I promise to come home. "

And so, on that word, I left, left to serve. I left my life behind.

---

[JO]

❝...please come back...❞

It's been three years since I last saw him, and I miss him like crazy. I can't stop thinking about him, he promised me that he would return, but when would that be? He might already be dead by now!

My other friends tried their best to comfort me as I cried heavily every single day I didn't see him. For three years, I felt lonely, even with my childhood friends around. They could sense my pain, but none of them knew how to fix it.

"...it'll be all okay, he will come back one day, don't worry...," Jordan said, placing her hand on top of mine and looking sincerely at my face with her bright amber eyes. I nodded and tried to smile at her words. I tried my best to lift my spirits for them, for my friends, but it hurt to do so. I couldn't help but cry my pain away every night.

My two friends (Jordan and Lara, because Jojo was working) always visited every week with something that always cheered me up, either it's hanging out together like in our childhood or just doing something that made us happy. It helped a lot, and I'm grateful to have friends like them around.

I just really wish Miguel would come back, I really do. I pray every night that he's okay, that he would come home like he said he would. I hoped that fate would listen to my cries.

❝...please come home...❞

---

It's now been another two years in the past. Five years. Half a decade. All that time waiting. My friends have moved on to having families and taking care of them well, while I'm still waiting. I told myself that he was my love, that I couldn't love anybody else except him.

I would wait a thousand years if I could, just to see his smile again. I told myself years ago that I would see his smile again before I die myself, but I'm now starting to lose hope. If he still is alive, he probably wouldn't love me at all. He'd probably moved on and forgot about my existence.

I break down in tears, hearing the trees rustled in the autumn air outside my window. He left right before winter, in the fall, like a leaf floating away in the wind.

❝ ...is this what it feels like to be alone...? ❞

---

I don't know why I live. I don't even know where Miguel even is, why am I still waiting? What if he's already dead by now? I tell myself this over and over every night that I need to move on. But my heart wouldn't take it.

"There's nothing for me to live for..." I say quietly to myself. "Everyone is already gone, gone to live their own lives, while me? I'm waiting for a guy who probably passed away years ago, and yet, I can't turn away from hoping."

I walk around my room and sighed as I took down a photo frame to admire it. It was a picture of my high-school years, where all my friends and classmates posed for the camera. I could see some of my old schoolmates like Daniel (Dan), Veronica, Alice (Ally)... all of them, happy and excited. I was happy too then, I had all my friends and Miguel, of course...

❝ ...I promise to come home... ❞

... please answer me, Miguel... I've been waiting for years for you to answer your promise...

---

[THIRD PERSON]

The war raged on for years now, and Miguel was sick of it. He wished that they would stop and give peace to one another. It's been on for about seven years, and he desperately wished to go home.

On the fifth year, he had been captured by the other side, and was locked up for a while now. He felt tired and sick of staying in this prison. He wanted an escape from this place. He also saw some of his old friends from school, who also were volunteers of the military, like Austin and Thomas, who both looked heavily annoyed at their chains that tied them to the cells.

[MIGUEL]

"Darn chains," Austin muttered under his breath, to which the two of us turned to hear.

"I know, right?" Thomas said, shaking his hands to make the chains rattle. I sighed slightly as I leaned on the metal bars.

"How are we going to escape this place?" I ask, a hint of desperation could be heard. The other two looked away for a moment, probably to think. Thomas snapped his fingers suddenly, to which we turn.

"This probably won't work, but it's worth a try," he says, glancing up at the ceiling.

(skips the plan, I don't want to waste too much time, sorry-)

---

We're finally free! After some time of attempts and trials, we finally escaped that place! And you know what? The war finally ended after eight long years of fighting. I promised to come home...

... and I intend to keep that promise.

I drop off the uniform at the center in town, then took a rest in the park. It felt nice, peaceful, and just enjoyable after fighting in the battlefield. I didn't know if Jo was still here or not, but I was determined to see that. Walking down the neighborhood, I saw her house, was she still living here? She might have moved away... I hope she didn't...

I knocked on the door and waited there. A female opened the door, her hair was down in waves of light-brown and she had a familiar face.

"Jo, is that you?" I ask, stepping forward. She looked confused, but her eyes lit up with a shine, one that I should remember from long ago.

"Miguel, i-is that really you?" she asked, to which I nodded and smiled. She looked extremely happy with the news, and almost knocked me down with excitement.

"Do you know how long I had to wait for you?" she whispered quietly into my ear while continuing to hug me. "I thought you would never come back, but here you are..."

"I told you I would keep my promise, and I did...," was my reply.