Death was quick, it didn't give her a chance to scream and cry. It went by, just like that. Losing Cassie wasn't quick. She cried, she screamed, she was hollow inside but it never stopped. It always hurt.

She could remember the excited glint in Cassie's big brown eyes whenever she ran up to her, greeting her like she hadn't seen her in years when it had just been hours. Worst of all, getting attached to Cassie and feeling the sense of responsibility towards her came at a time where everything in Charlotte's life was falling apart. She thought Cassie was all she had at the end of it.

Then she died because of her.

People knew Charlotte, the cute girl who was driven with a sense of justice to always do the right thing, no matter what. They never knew the guilty Charlotte, her guilt consumed her. She judged people's mistakes a little too harshly sometimes but she was never as harsh on anyone as she was on herself, it was ironic mostly.

It felt right to judge herself that way because she knew that no one said it loud enough to knock some sense into her. Charlotte Bernard was damaged but she foolishly claimed it was nothing that time couldn't heal.

Time healed, just not the wounds she can't see but feel as though it was millions of wood splinters scraping against her heart. It was suffocating but she numbed it, knowing it kept her feeling even if it was pain. It was still an emotion.

Oh, and Charlotte Bernard was very much used to pain.

✵ ✵ ✵

Serena was still in bed, scratching the back over her as she rolled over to see her phone. It buzzed in her hand, receiving a text.

Char✨: Morning, breakfast? I made some for takeaway! Can I pass by yours?

She blinked back, looking at the time. It was nine in the morning. The Bernard quickly sat up before looking over at the room, "Damn, really outdone it this time, Serena..." She whispered to herself, looking over at most of her clothes ripped off on the floor. It was a pretty wild night.

Serena assumed coffee at the Mikaelsons didn't sober her up although after last night she wouldn't need a few drinks to sleep with Rebekah Mikaelson. She had a small smirk playing at her lips as she took a glance at the blonde naked girl wrapped up in the covers next to her.

The brunette sighed, leaning back on her bed as she felt Rebekah move beside her and she asked, "How does breakfast with Charlotte sound? She is a good cook."

"Oh, don't I know...Lottie is quite dedicated."

Serena chuckled, "Well, I will need that breakfast if I am ever hoping to get out of bed on both of my legs."

Rebekah raised an eyebrow at the Bernard, "Really? I feel quite well. You are not used to vampires going down on you, are you?"

"Well...no, not really," Serena pursed her lips together, leaning on her elbow as she turned on her other side, looking down at the Mikaelson, "It was different but good. I am not as breakable as Matt Donovan, trust me on that."

"Feminist? I love those."

"Factual," She shrugged her shoulders, correcting, "I came back from the dead before and I did elbow him before plus proudly punched him in fifth grade," Serena had a smug smile on her lips as she claimed, "If I could handle our principle's glare that day then I could deal with a vampire going down hard on me."