26

"baby!" your mom cooed at you the moment you step inside the house, trying your hardest to look okay. "you haven't been contacting us for days, i thought something happened!" she gives you a warm hug which you instantly melt into, tears brimming your eyes.

"honey, did something happen?" your dad approached you the moment he saw tears forming your eyes. 

you immediately shake your head when your mom took a closer look on you. yet you couldn't risk them getting in danger.

"nothing, i just missed you." you beamed at them, letting out the breath you've been unconsciously holding. 

"did something happen with dohyun? he isn't answering our calls the past days too," your father narrowed his eyes at you, sensing the least something.

you darted your eyes everywhere, thinking of any excuses you could so that you can avoid more questions- something that you didn't plan with seung.

"uh, we just.. broke up. it happened," you sadly smile at them and expectedly, they shut up and just gave you a hug. 

"have you had dinner?" you blinked at your mother, you weren't hungry for sure. you'd just want to live every second you're with them so you shook your head no. "then let's have dinner." she pulled you to the diner, your dad's eyes tailing your frail appearance, something in the back of his mind telling him something is indeed wrong, just decided to not talk through it.

"why.. did you suddenly break up?" your mom hesitantly opened the topic, constantly taking glances at you who was only playing with your food. 

*i don't know too, just like i said.. it just happened." you smiled at them once again, taking a small portion of your food and munching on it.

"look honey, if you need someone to talk to, we're here, okay? if he isn't for you then he isn't." your mother nodded her head at you as you give her a chuckle.

your father knew better though. like- mafia to mafia. which eventually slipped on your mind. you forgot how your father knew how the mafia world worked, and how you couldn't just so easily break up when the day before your disappearance, you were looking at each other with heart eyes. 

"hyerin, come and help me with the dishes." your father smiled at you, looking at you with expecting eyes.

"come on, let hyerin have a rest." your mother rolled her eyes at your father, which you completely assured her before pushing her upstairs.

you quietly got the plates and placed it on the sink, while your father just watched you. 

"tell me what's wrong and i'll take care of it." he straightforwardly said, making you flinch. you sigh and lean on the counter, watching him wash the dishes beside you.

you pause and actually take in what's happening. should you tell him? should you ask for help? taking a courageous breath, you faced him again only for your face to falter- vaguely seeing a man prop a rifle from outside your house, a meter away from the window of your house's back door.

"nothing's wrong dad, just.. heartbroken." it flows out of your mouth naturally, your heart beating fast as you gave him a crooked smile that went unnoticed by him, slowly nodding at your words.

"if something is, tell me right away, okay?" he sighs, wiping his hands on his apron.

you nod at him with a small smile, your eyes darting outside once again, seeing the silhouette go away in an instant, making you breathe out the oxygen you've been holding all along.

"you're working on the cafe everyday after class." and with that, seung hangs up on you. leaving you once again trembling and desperate. you were aware of his numerous men looking at you at least ten meters afar, walkie talkies ready on their hands, ready to take action when needed.

and somewhere when your eyes darted around the house, taking in the warmth and safety between the walls, it landed on a small camera you haven't seen before, and instantly assuming it been taken care by seung. 

you simply sighed and buried yourself more on your blankets that felt so familiar and safe, yet cold and scary. 

nothing beats another hopeful prayer before dozing into a nap- a thirty minute sleep full of nightmares that awaken you the same time your alarm did.

you went into class, seeing seung already inside- looking ever so normal while laughing with your other friends. a slow day indeed, acting normal yet so fidgety, something you weren't.

"go head first to the cafe. i'll go drop some work in the office first," he grabs your arm tightly to stop you from walking fast to the cafe. he gives you a warning look before you nod at him, then see him walk to his car and drive off.

you realize you haven't even uttered a word ever since he let you step on a ten metered safe zone. ever since you left that mansion so.. freely. you started to even doubt if he even gave a flying fuck about you talking shit about him, since his men were meters away from you.

you decided against it though, still terrified to your bones.

you walked quietly to the cafe, head down and unconscious of your surroundings until someone aggressively pulls you by your arm to face him.

tears. 

tears brimmed your eyes.

tears constantly fell from your eyes. 

his bruised and popped lip made your chest heavy. evident faint purple marks all around his face and his arms, disheveled hair and heavy breathing made you anxious. you caught a glance of one of seung's men behind him, hesitating whether to take action on the familiar man or not. 

the man in front of you stands tall, yet when he sees your brimming eyes he instantly falters and crouches down to meet your eyes level. his cold aura long gone, eyes only feared with a hint of fear and full of worry and rage.

you just dumbly stared at him, while he asked through your eyes if you were okay, the pain on the side of his eyes from getting beaten a few weeks ago long gone along with his cold aura that he's only let you seen.

he caressed your shoulders, trying to get an answer out of you. but you just let your tears fall, finding the right words to say. with all of your might and a heavy chest, your dry throat finally let out the first person that made you see a different light.

"kang."