Salvation #28

Pain straps around Nate's lungs. It rips across his chest, stabbing into his torso. They're like thin shards of wire piercing his flesh, searing like wildfire across his skin.

He gasps for air. It whistles down his throat and swells against his lungs. His chest aches and his muscles burn.

He sprints down the narrow country road. The edges are worn and grass tears at the tarmac. His feet beat against it and sweat trickles down his temple.

The road tilts around him and heat consumes his body. He can feel the damp blood drying against his frayed skin. His t-shirt sticks to the raw wounds.

The edge of the town looms around him. His gaze frantically searches for the small convenience store dotted amongst the worn houses and petrol stations on the side of the road.

Groaning he sinks to his knees. He cringes and doubles over. His forehead presses against the hot tarmac. His blood trickles down his side, dripping onto the road.

Swallowing a whimper of pain, hauling himself to his feet. He staggers forward, driven toward delirium. The heat swarms around him, buzzing over his body.

He stumbles through the doorway of the convenience store. The cold air sweeps over him, draining the exhaustion gradually. He leans against a shelf, supporting his leaden weight.

"We're closed," Jacquie mumbles studying her nails.

"Is Roy here?" Nate gasps.

"Nope. He left about an hour ago," Jacquie glances up. Concern drains her features. "Are you OK?"

She stares at his sickly appearance. Dried blood has cracked over his temple and sticks to his dark hair. "Did he say where he was going?" Nate asks.

"Police station. Christ you look sick," she leaps down and wanders over to him.

Hesitantly she reaches for the small gash spread across his head. "Have you been in a fight?" she frowns.

"I need to find Roy."

Jacquie's gaze flashes over Nate's back. "Holy shit!" she squeals. Her wide, green eyes stare at him, embedded with horror.

"Y-you need to go to the hospital!" her voice tightens inside a frantic, high pitched tone.

"I-I need to talk to Roy," Nate stammers weakly. Jacquie freezes, staring at him.

"Nate you're hurt," her voice wavers over a short breath and her heart lodges inside her throat.

"Please. I-I need...it's important," Nate pleads. Jacquie opens her mouth, choking on a frail gasp of air.

Nate shakes his head, spinning on his heels. He darts out of the store, sprinting down the road. He ignores the sound of her shouting and continues running blindly.

***

Roy sits inside the police station foyer, leaning over his knees and staring at the polished floor. His head throbs with a swarm of emotions.

"Here," Marissa holds a flimsy paper cup out to Roy. He glances up at her, falling back into the plastic seat. "Thanks," he mumbles, slipping his hand around the cup.

He can feel the coffee burning through the edges of the cup warming the palm of his hand. "We're doing the best we can," she sighs.

"I know," Roy mumbles.

His gaze remains blank and unresponsive. "Jason is checking through records but from what we know we can't get a warrant," Marissa's tone is sympathetic. She sits down beside him, smoothing her hands over her black pants.