River Dreams

It was hot out. STUPIDLY hot.

And it was even worse inside the Novak House because their air conditioner was broken, and Chuck wasn't exactly made of money. He was made of petty writer's checks and seven children who screamed more than anything else.

And they were insufferable when they were hot. Michael and Anna were in a battle of who got to sit in front of the fan (Castiel was sitting in front of it while they fought), Gabriel was seeing how much of his body he could stick to the leather couch, Lucifer was perfectly content in the weather as he enjoyed warm temperatures, and Hannah was sitting defiantly in a chair trying to get Balthazar to chop her hair off.

"But you have such pretty hair!" Balthazar whined.

"It's HOT." Hannah said.

"We could tie it up in a pony tail!"

"HOT. Hair makes me too warm, so CHOPPITY CHOP." Balthazar sighed and raised the scissors, which Chuck promptly yanked out of his hands.

"CHILDREN!" He called. They lazily looked over at him. "We're going to the river."

Because this was Kansas. They didn't have beaches. They weren't near a lake. Lawrence did not have a public swimming pool. But they had a river.

A lot of screeching, changing into bathing suits and Chuck running around like a maniac looking for towels, sunscreen, floaties so Hannah and Castiel wouldn't drown since they weren't great swimmers yet- the works.

They piled into the car and met Amara at the river. She was already lying on a towel in the grass, sun tanning in peace. 

Peace that the kids immediately interrupted by launching into the river.

"Don't go too far downstream!" Chuck called. "Stay where we can see you- LUCIFER NO DROWNING YOUR SIBLINGS- Watch out for those rocks- GABRIEL NO DIVING, THE WATER'S NOT DEEP ENOUGH, YOU'LL CRACK YOUR SKULL OPEN AGAIN-" Amara sighed.

"Why do people insist on having children?" She asked.

"Because they're fun," Chuck explained, sitting beside her. "Just look at them." Amara glanced over to where the kids were splashing each other and screaming.

"....Maybe just a little." She admitted.

"They're adorable," Chuck grinned. 

"I still think you're insane."

"Most people do, and maybe I am. I really don't care though, they're worth it."

"Michael you swim like a fat whale!" Lucifer crowed.

"Thanks!" Michael replied. "Seeing as Pilot Whales swim SUPER FAST."

"Only you would find being a whale a compliment." Michael puffed out his chest.

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a super famous swimmer, like Michael Phelps! They'll make me race him- MICHAEL VS. MICHAEL! And I'll win!"

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be the guy who judges that race and I'll make sure you LOSE!" Michael pushed Luci into the water and they splashed at each other.

"What about the rest of you?" Chuck asked. "What are you gonna be when you grow up?"

"Oh!" Castiel waved. "I wanna be a writer! Like you!"

"I wanna be Amara!" Anna shouted. "But like, with money!"

Amara scowled and Chuck started to laugh.

"I WILL BE EDNA MODE." Balthazar yelled, smashing a fist down into the water.

"Balth, she's not real," Anna reminded him.

"SHE WILL BECOME REAL THROUGH ME."

"I wanna run a candy store!" Gabriel insisted. "That way I can eat all the candy I want and nobody can tell me not to! I COULD BE WILLY WONKA WITHOUT THE OOMPA LOOMPAS!"

"No surprise there," Balthazar muttered. "You're gonna get diabetes."

"I'M IMMUNE TO THAT."

"NO ONE IS IMMUNE TO THAT."

"YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M IMMUNE TO."

"What about you, Hannah?" Chuck asked. "What are you gonna be?" Hannah thought for a moment and tugged on her floaties before looking up at him.

"I'm gonna be PRESIDENT!" She said happily. 

"That's a big job," Chuck insisted.

"I CAN DO IT! BATMAN TOLD ME SO IN A DREAM." Chuck gasped.

"THE Batman?"

"YES!"

"Well then it's got to be true. And I can't go against Batman, so you've definitely got my vote."

"YAY! THAT MEANS I ONLY NEED LIKE, TWENTY MORE!"

"You'll need a bit more than that, sweetie."

"BATMAN WILL HELP ME GET THEM."

"I'm sure he will." The kids went back to the water, easily distracted, and Amara raised an eyebrow.

"How many of those dreams do you think will actually come true?" She asked. He shrugged.

"It doesn't matter, they'll figure out what they want to do when the time comes." He said. "Although if we're taking bets, I say Gabriel opens a candy shop, Hannah becomes president, and Balthazar definitely becomes Edna Mode."

"How would he even do that?"

"I have no idea, but if anyone can find a way to do it, it's Balth."

"Hannah seems a bit sweet to be president."

"Yeah but if Batman sees potential in her-"

"CHUCK."

"What?"

"BATMAN ISN'T REAL." He stared at her.

"What proof do you have that he's not real?" He asked.

"The fact that he's a made up character."

"IS HE?"

"Chuck."

"WHAT PROOF DO YOU HAVE?"

"You're a child."

"YOU'RE JUST SAYING THAT CAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ANY."