(27) Love vs. Lust

Start from the beginning

Shelby met us at the table, squealing loudly and giving me a huge hug. She introduced us to Walter although I already knew who he was.

“How is things?” Walter asked Gordon making me realize that he must know him, he is a senior and a football player after all.

“It’s all good, and you?” Gordon replied as he squeezed my hand, reassuring me that everything was fine. Walter spoke to him about the football team for a minute or so and then left with Shelby to go dance.

We were walked around the gym talking and holding hands when I spotted somebody that looked like Cole in the distance. It was just for a second and when I looked back he was gone. I shook my head and cleared the thought out of my mind. I wasn’t going to waste my time thinking about him.

A slow song started playing so Gordon and I made our way to the middle of the dance floor and slowly started swaying to the music. He slipped his arms around me waist and pulled me close to his body making me shudder with delight. I wrapped my arms around his neck and stared into his intense eyes. As the song came to an end he leaned forward and softly pressed his lips against mine. The kiss was so tender and filled with love that I forgot we were standing in the middle of the gym surrounded by kids.

I pulled away slightly to take a breath and was about to press my lips against his again when I heard shouting. I snapped out of my little daze and looked to where the shouting was coming from. I gasped when I saw that it was Cole standing a few feet away from us looking really angry and really drunk. All the kids had stopped dancing and were staring at him and us, probably wondering and speculating what was going on.

“Get your hands off of her!” Cole spat drunkenly making me cringe and push my body closer to Gordon who just stared at him in disgust.

“Didn’t you hear me, I said get your filthy hands off of my girl!” Cole roared taking a step closer to us. He was close enough to touch now and I could smell the alcohol on him.

“Come on, let’s go” Gordon whispered to me. I nodded my head in agreement and was about to turn around and leave when Cole grabbed a hold of my arm and pulled me towards him. The next few things happened so fast but it almost felt like it was happening in slow motion.

“Leave me alone!” I yelled throwing my arms out towards him to push him away but he was much stronger than me. He grabbed a hold of my face and pressed his lips against mine, the smell of his breath making me want to vomit. The next thing I knew I was being pulled away from him as a fist hit his face. I heard a crunching sound and watched as he stumbled back, his hand reaching for his face. There was loud screaming from all around as I turned to Gordon. He was looking at me with a horrified expression on his face.

I was about to grab his hand and tell him that we should leave when Cole literally jumped on him making them both fall to the ground. Cole was on top of him so I grabbed a hold of him, trying to pull him off but he pushed me away with his one arm and punched Gordon with the other. I lunched forward and was about to jump on Cole to try and strangle him or something when Gordon pushed him over throwing another punch at his face.

“Stop!” I heard a loud voice say from behind me and spun around to see Mr. Ferguson, our principle walking towards me. Conner and some other guys came running past him and started pulling Gordon off of Cole. Gordon’s lip was split and there was blood dribbling from it. Cole’s nose was swollen and his eye and lip was split open.

“I’m fine, let go of me” Gordon said to Conner and the other guy who was holding him. His voice was strained and filled with anger. They let go of him and he moved closer to me looking worried. I immediately understood what was going on in his head. He was scared that I was going to think that he really was crazy and that he finally snapped. That’s not what I thought at all. I took a step forward, closing the distance between us and wrapped my arms around him. His arms automatically moved around me and I could feel his body relax as we held each other.

“Gabby?” I heard Conner saying from beside me. I turned in Gordon’s arms to look at him. He looked really worried. The principle was talking to a bunch of kids that witnessed the whole thing and a few guys were still holding on to Cole who looked like he wanted to kill somebody.

“What happened” Conner asked looking between me and Gordon.

“Cole’s drunk, he said I was his and that Gordon should leave me alone. We wanted to leave but he grabbed a hold of me and kissed me so Gordon punched him” I answered, reliving the last minutes in my head.

“He kissed you against your will?” Conner asked as his face grew red with anger.

“Yes” I answered, pushing myself closer to Gordon. The shock of what happened was starting to set in and I could feel my body starting to shake.

Conner ran over to Cole and was about to punch him but the guy that was helping him hold Gordon earlier grabbed a hold of him and stopped him before he could. Another few teachers arrived and escorted the whole bunch of us into the hallway. After a few minutes of questioning we were allowed to go home. Conner agreed to take Cole home although he was still furious at him. The other guys went back to the dance and I headed over to the car with Gordon.

“Gabby, wait!” I heard Conner calling as I was about to get into the car. I turned around and looked at him, wondering what he wanted. Gordon stood next to me waiting to hear what he had to say as well.

“Are you ok?” he asked when he reached us.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine, where is Cole?” I asked, not wanting him to show up too.

“I told him to wait in the car. I just wanted to say thanks for looking out for my sister” he said the last part as he turned to Gordon.

“No problem” Gordon replied, smiling slightly.

“Ok, well, I’m going to take Cole home and kick his ass some more. What are you going to do?” Conner asked turning back to me.

“I’m going home with Gordon, I have to fix his lip for him” I replied, my tummy making a flip as I said the words. He has told me that he lives alone in a little apartment but I haven’t been there yet and the thought made me feel all strange and excited inside.

“Ok, I’ll talk to you later” Conner said before leaving. I couldn’t quite believe that he took it so easily but I was thankful because I didn’t feel like arguing with him right now.