Chapter Seventy

A week goes by. Luna locks herself in her room for days on end, watching the rain continue to pour outside.
"Lady Luna... Will you please have some lunch?" Magnolia calls out.
"No... I'm fine." Luna declines, continuing to stare outside.
Magnolia nods, quietly leaving the room.
Luna stares outside, her eyes welling with tears.
She sighs, shaking her head.
"I need to wake up."

Luna leaves the room wearing her cloak with the hood up, wandering the halls.
She steps outside, staring out to the gardens being pummelled by rain.

"Your highness, will you escort me to the spring ball?"

Luna looks around the corner at the light voice.
Emperor Cabel stands by a pillar. Princess Levita cuddling against him, with another princess holding his arm.
"How brazen to ask the emperor such a question." Emperor Cabel responds, uninterested.
"Your highness, we'll have to become official candidates. You should pick one of us, if we're to be married." The other princess purrs.
"He's going to choose one of us either way. He shouldn't ignore his future fiancée." Princess Levita calmly states.
Luna turns back around. She holds her breath, quietly leaving.

"This never gets easier does it?" Luna whispers, holding back her tears.
Luna turns a corner, bumping into a man.
She stumbles as he quickly catches her.

"Goodness, are you alright?"
The man calls out.
Luna freezes.
She stands up, removing her hood to see Duke Oslo. Tears drip down her cheeks as her eyes fall on a familiar face.
He looks back at her with widened eyes.
"Your grace..." Luna mumbles, holding back her sobs.
"You're crying again?..." Duke Oslo reaches his gloved hand out, wiping her tears.
"I-I can't take it anymore. I don't want to die as a neglected concubine. I want to be a consultant, please help me, please..." Luna sobs, holding onto him.
Duke Oslo stands still, unsure of what to do.
"It hurts to keep living like this, I'm too weak to try to survive like this..." Luna cries into his chest.
She collapses from exhaustion.
Duke Oslo catches her as she leans against his body.
Her complexion pale with her body increasingly thinner. Duke Oslo furrows his brows, picking her up.
He places the hood back over her head, hiding her face.
"I didn't want to do this... But how do I leave you alone, when you come back to me like this?" Duke Oslo sighs, walking back into the palace.

Duke Oslo sits in Emperor Cabel's office, showing him documents.
"With all the evidence here, I believe we need to act quickly and design new sewage systems."
"Hm, what design do you suggest?" Emperor Cabel stares at the documents.
Duke Oslo places a blueprint down.
"This system will ensure sewage waste will be more separated from drains meant for rain water. The materials and structure will ensure there will be no leaks or breakage, and will be easy to access if there is a break."
"I see... Have you approved this design?"
"Yes. Many certified engineers worked on this. I believe it's exceptional, and will ensure the health of the people will be safe."
"I approve this project. I'll get in touch with construction workers to quickly replace the old systems when the rain lets up. Speak with the head of health systems, and ensure they know of this disease." Emperor Cabel stamps the document, placing the papers into an envelope and handing it back to the duke.
Duke Oslo takes the envelope, staring at it.
"Is there anything else you with to discuss?" Emperor Cabel raises his eyebrow.
"Yes... It's regarding Lady Luna." Duke Oslo continues.
Emperor Cabel looks at him confused.

Luna wakes up to a knocking on her door.
She sits up in bed, holding her head. She looks around the bed, confused as how she got there.
Noticing a letter on her dresser, she looks to see the card read;

'Wait for me. -V.O'

"V.O?" She whispers.
The door knocks again. She quickly slides the card into her drawer.
Luna approaches the door, opening it to see Emperor Cabel.
"Your highness?..." Luna whispers.
"We need to talk." Emperor Cabel looks at her sternly.
She steps aside, letting him in.

They sit at a table in silence. She fiddles her fingers, worried as she stares at the table.
Emperor Cabel's eyes continue to gaze outside, until moving to look at Luna.
"After today, you will no longer be my concubine." Emperor Cabel breaks the silence.
Luna's eyes widen.
"Your highness?..." She calls out.
"You aren't useful to me anymore. I'm taking your concubine title away, and will be giving you back the title of the Avris princess."
Luna's eyes widen, confused.