Chapter Seventy-Two

"Your highness... Do you care for Luna?"
Duke Oslo's voice replays in Emperor Cabel's mind.
The conversation they had earlier, haunting him.
"Of course. Why does it matter to you?"
"Your highness... Luna has been weak. She's neglecting her health lately... And I believe it's from the pain you've caused... Please, let her go."
"Let her go?"
"If you love something you should let it go... This isn't love when she's suffering this much. Haven't you thought about the pain she's in?"

Emperor Cabel down's the whiskey in his hand.
He pours another glass, downing that one as well.
"I love you... But I was blinded... How did I not know? How did I not see that my selfishness was hurting you?... I'm... I'm sorry... I don't deserve you... I don't deserve you, when I can't even see the pain I put you through." He clenches his jaw, running his fingers through his hair.
He looks at the empty sofa.
The memories of sneaking glances at Luna as she read happily, running through his mind.
"I hope we'll meet on better terms... I hope we'll be able to restart everything and I can explain it all to you. I hope you'll forgive me and can love me again that day..." Emperor Cabel's eyes tear up, glossing over as he stares at the glass of whiskey, "If we don't... I hope someone can give you the happiness I couldn't give-"
He cuts himself off from finishing his words.
He clenches his hand closed, the crystal glass shattering under his grip.
"Damn it!" He punches his desk, his hand cut and bleeding.
His hand exudes a red fog, the cuts slowly healing.
He grabs the crystal decanter, chugging the whiskey.

Luna sleeps soundly in the carriage as she sits across Duke Oslo.
He stares at her expression, calm yet pained.
"Don't cry over him anymore..." Duke Oslo whispers under his breath, furrowing his brows as he watches a tear fall from Luna's eye.
"Would you hate me if I told you I want you?... Just cry for only me... Just look at only me, just only think about me... Please..."
Duke Oslo stands, gently wiping the tear away from her eye.
He thinks to himself, hesitating.
Clenching his hand into a fist, his hand soon relaxes to cup her cheek.
Gently, he kisses her forehead, until sitting back down in his seat.
His ears and cheeks burning red as he looks out the window.

"Lady Luna." Duke Oslo calls out.
Luna stirs in her sleep before opening her eyes gently, rubbing them.
"Are we here?" She asks, sleepily.
"Yes. Just about, we're going up the hill to it."
Luna looks out the window.
Through the heavy rain stands a shining estate, the tall black mansion with gold detailing.
The black gates open, the coachman driving up to the entry.
Butlers and maids stand outside with umbrellas.
"I-I feel like I'm intruding..." Luna mutters.
"Nonsense. You're my guest." Duke Oslo winks, holding his hand out to her.
Luna places her hand on his, standing up.
The carriage door opens and a butler holds out an umbrella for the duke and Luna.

"Welcome to the duke's estate. I'm the head butler of the estate, Fredrick." An older looking gentleman bows.
His suit clean pressed with his hair tidied.
"Good evening, I'm Luna... Luna Avri." Luna curtsies, uncomfortable as she speaks her surname.
"Please, come inside. Unpack her belongings from the carriage." Fredrick orders the butlers and maids.
He stands behind Luna and the duke, holding an umbrella over them as they walk inside.

"Would you like dinner now, your grace?" Fredrick asks.
"Yes, prepare a setting for Luna as well." Duke Oslo replies.
"Yes, your grace."
They stand in the entryway of his mansion.
Luna dries off with a towel given from a maid.
"So... This is your home?" Luna asks.
"Yes. I know it's nothing grand compared to the palace-"
"N-No! It's beautiful! I didn't mean to sound insulting..."
Duke Oslo looks at her, chuckling lightly.
"I know, I was just teasing. Come, I'll show you your room."

Duke Oslo walks Luna through the hallways, filled with paintings and portraits.
The floor lined with a dark blue velvet carpet with pillars lining the halls.
Duke Oslo opens the doors to a room, showing Luna her bedroom.
A gorgeous beautiful room with white and blue bedding, a chandelier hanging from the ceiling, with large rectangular windows.
"Is it to your liking?" Duke Oslo asks.
Luna steps in, looking around.
"It's beautiful! Thank you!" Luna smiles, looking back at Duke Oslo.
He smiles, watching her excitement. Luna averts her eyes, embarrassed.
"May I ask something, your grace?"
"Of course."
"Why are you helping me?" Luna curiously looks back at him.
"I wonder that as well." Duke Oslo snickers, "Merely because... Your intelligence drew me in first, and then I got to know the lovely heart behind it."
"I-I see..." Luna's face grows red as Duke Oslo watches her.
"Let me ask you something now."
"Yes?"
"Do you love his highness?"
Luna pauses, thinking for a moment.
"... I care for him abundantly, and I wish I could say I don't love him, but I do... Yet love with him has only caused grievances... It shouldn't be like that, should it?"
"Who's to say... No one knows the answer, but you listen to what you know and feel is right."
"I suppose this is just meant to become a motivator, isn't it?"
"Yes... If you'd like it to be, yes. I'll leave you to rest for now, I'll come grab you once dinner's prepared."
"Yes. Thank you, your grace." Luna curtsies as Duke Oslo leaves her bedroom.
Luna walks over to the crisp, clean, tidy bed. She sits on the edge, uncomfortable as she looks around.
"How unfamiliar..." Luna whispers to herself.
She stares out the window by the bed, the rain pouring down.

Duke Oslo stops, leaning against her closed door.
He takes a breath, holding his chest.
"I have to be patient... But she'll slip through my fingers if I don't act soon..." He looks down at his hand, clenching his jaw.
He covers his eyes with his hand, taking another deep breath.
"But she could slip through my fingers if I push too much... Damn it... Just be patient and wait for her feelings to die... Just be patient." He mutters to himself.
He clears his throat, leaving down the hall.