Chapter Thirty-Five

Hayden exits Luna's bedroom, shutting the door behind him.
He walks down the halls, loosening the neck of his uniform. His breathing growing heavy as he quickly enters the royal office.
Leaning against the closed door, he covers his eyes exhaustedly.
Swiftly, he waves his hand over his chest, wincing in pain as he does. His light golden brown hair dissipates, changing into sleek black hair. His eyes fade from the orange gold tone, transitioning to a deep wine colour.
Emperor Cabel slumps over against the door, taking a deep breath of relief.
He stares at the ceiling, face palming himself.
"You lost your damn mind, fool." Emperor Cabel scowls, shaking his head.
His hand moves down to cover his lips. His mind running with the image of Luna's lips, and how soft they were against his thumb.
"Control yourself." He scolds himself.
He paces his office, deep in thought. He struggles, slightly pained as he walks.

The door knocks.
"What?" Emperor Cabel shouts.
The door opens, and Lance enters carrying a tray.
"Did meeting her as Hayden not go well?" Lance smiles.
"Silence. We don't speak of this- Ack." Emperor Cabel chokes, coughing up blood.
Lance sighs, carrying the tray up to him.
On top of the tray sits a glass of water, and a saucer of pills.
"Your highness, I've warned you about how long you should stay as Hayden." Lance hands him a napkin.
Emperor Cabel wipes the blood off his hand and lips, sucking in a sharp deep breath.
He takes the pills and water, swallowing quickly as he grabs his chest in pain.
"I'm trying to tell her. I just can't find the timing. I need to make sure she has no feelings for Hayden, or she'll be disappointed." Emperor Cabel takes a deep breath, falling back on the sofa, exhausted.
"You can find out if you asked her as is. You get too side tracked when you meet her, and it could be fatal if you stay transformed while you do."
"Don't be ridiculous. She won't tell me as I am. If she does like him, the first person she'll tell her feelings to will be Hayden... I need to clarify and make sure, before I hurt her... Leave, I need rest."
"Yes, your highness... Shall I call a healer?" Lance worries, staring at Emperor Cabel's expression.
"Not necessary. My mana hasn't begun eating at my soul just yet. I just need silence."
"Yes, your highness. May glory of Helios rest upon you." Lance bows before quietly exiting his office.
Emperor Cabel rests his forearm over his eyes as he sweats, struggling to calm his breathing.

"Cabel? Are you not feeling well today?"
Luna stares at Emperor Cabel's complexion, his face drained of colour with heavy bags under his eyes.
"I'm fine, I've been busy with work and haven't rested enough." He speaks calmly, attempting to not worry her.
"I see, if you'd like we can rest on that bench?" Luna points to a garden bench as they walk side by side through the flower garden.
Emperor Cabel shrugs, nodding.
They sit on the bench, gazing at the flowers.
Luna sits, dolled up in a pastel pink gown with trumpet sleeves. She carries a white and pink lace umbrella.
Emperor Cabel slouches as he takes a deep breath, composing himself.
"Are you sure you're alright? We can sit inside if you'd like?" Luna worriedly looks up at Cabel.
She places her hand on his arm as she examines his face.
Emperor Cabel flinches, moving away from her. He looks back at her, confused.
He looks down at his arm, and back at her again.
"H-Have I made you uncomfortable?..." She asks.
"No... Just stay still for a bit..."
Luna freezes her movements, looking up at Emperor Cabel's face.
He cautiously moves closer, laying his head onto her lap.
He flinches surprised, but begins to feel relaxed as he lies on her.
"C-Cabel?" Luna exclaims.
"Let's stay like this for a bit." He quietly asks.
Luna looks down at his closed resting eyes.
She sighs and nods as she leans back to stare at the swaying flowers. Her face beginning to flush into a shade resembling the red amaryllis flowers growing in the garden.

Time goes by as Luna sits on the bench with the emperor.
His expression calmed, the colour seeming to return to his pale complexion.

"Lady Luna?" Lance calls out.
He walks through the garden, approaching her.
"Has his highness been with you? He left saying he was going to take a break."
Luna points downwards.
Lance moves closer to see Emperor Cabel sleeping on her lap.
"He's been asleep for a while now... He seemed sick so I didn't want to wake him." Luna whispers.
"I see... I'll have to wake him then... Your highness... Your highness?" Lance calls out.
Emperor Cabel stirs in his sleep, until opening his eyes.
He looks up to see Luna gently smiling down at him. His lips curling into a pleased smile as his eyes rest on her face.
"Ahem, your highness?" Lance speaks up.
Emperor Cabel turns to see Lance.
He scoffs, sitting up.
"You found me?" He stretches, moving to stand.
"Your highness... The knights have returned with an assassin from Xiao." Lance bows.
Emperor Cabel grins, a look of amusement in his eyes.
"I suppose I'll greet them and see if they're worthy." Emperor Cabel begins walking, until stopping to turn back at Luna, "What are you doing?"
"Oh I was going to return to my bedroom..." Luna stammers.
"Nonsense, this was your doing. You should meet the assassin from Xiao too. Come."
Emperor Cabel begins walking away.
Lance and Luna look at each other surprised, before following quickly behind Emperor Cabel.
They walk through the palace, Emperor Cabel eagerly strutting through the halls.