Chapter Eleven

Night falls as Luna's left alone in the library.
She rubs the temples of her forehead, her brows furrowing slightly as her headache worsens.
Closing her book, she walks outside until sitting to rest on a garden bench.
Luna gazes up and stares at the stars, feeling a chill move through her body from an autumn breeze.

"Why is it that you're always awake at night?"
A voice calls out to her.
Luna turns to see Hayden walking towards her.

"Good evening, are you on duty again?" She asks.
"Roaming around is all. Were you in the library?"
"Yes..." Luna sighs, exasperated.
"Why the sigh? Do you not want to converse?" Hayden scowls, slightly offended.
Luna grows flustered as she quickly corrects him.
"No! I enjoy talking with you very much! I'm sorry, I feel exhausted from today."
"Because?"
"I finally met the other ladies of the golden palace, but they're all so..." Luna sighs again, making a fatigued expression.
"Why meet them if you're annoyed by them?" Hayden steps closer, standing beside the bench she sits on.
"I'll limit my interactions with them, it's just... Actually I shouldn't talk about others."
"You won't share why they bothered you, when you brought it up?"
"You made me bring it up though..." She pouts looking at Hayden.

Hayden stares back at Luna, raising his eyebrow. He gives a teasing look, urging her to continue.
"Okay, well they seem to gossip a lot about his highness..."
Hayden's eyes focus on Luna.
He pauses as he analyzes her expression.
"And? Are you worried for your life, living close to a demon like him?"
"Demon? No, not at all! The rumours of his highness are rumours for a reason. I've never even met him, so how could I judge him?"
Hayden slowly moves to sit down beside her, staring up at the sky.
"Do you wish to meet his highness?" He asks.
"I-I'm not sure... He killed my family but I don't hate him for it which is cruel, but he ended up saving me. I don't think I'd invite him, I'm afraid to be in a situation like that... Potentially, if I run into him by chance, maybe I'll tell him thank you." Luna gives a small smile.
Hayden looks over, furrowing his brows with a confused expression.

"Thank him for what? If you haven't met him, what would you thank him for?" He questions.
"Well, I would have been happy if I died in that dungeon... It seemed easy to give up this life if it meant escaping my family. Now though, I can't have that excuse... It's difficult to live with my memories, but I'm able to have a life I would've never had if I stayed in my parents castle. From what Lance has told me though, the emperor seems kind and respected."
"A murderous tyrant like him seems kind? Even if he decided to behead you on a whim?"
"Well, I suppose yes. From what Lance has told me, he see's no point in seeing his harem without an invite, but there's still an allowance for each concubine here. There are maids that are trained and given to each concubine too, and it also seems he won't kill unnecessarily. Who knows, he could be like the rumours but from my view, those rumours focus on the cruel sides of him... It's just my thoughts though. Have you met his highness?" Luna asks, looking at Hayden.
He stares back into her eyes, thinking briefly to himself.
"I meet him too frequently." He whispers.
"And do you think I'm wrong?"
"No, but people are complicated. He could be the opposite of the rumours, and be horrendously kind."
"So a soft-hearted gentleman, who sweetly speaks to everyone?"
Luna breaks out laughing.
Hayden softly smiles as he sees her laugh. Hayden's eyes watch Luna as she smiles.
They talk for hours through the night, getting to know more of each other's interests and dislikes—introducing a new friendship.