Chapter Twenty-Six

I watch as Magnolia rests in the bed, ointment and bandages being gently placed on her by maids.
She sleeps soundly after taking painkillers.
My heart races as I think of the emperor's deep gentle voice in my ear.
Lance places a bandaid on my hand from when I fell and scraped it.
My eyes tear up, remembering the scenes of abuse from my parents, mixed with Renesha holding a rod about to strike me. The hazy memory of a lady being hit in front of me, plays in my mind, mixing with the other memories.

"My lady..." Lance gently calls out.
I look back at him, the memories silencing.
He focuses on bandaging my hand, furrowing his brows.
"Please, talk to his highness... Whatever happened last time, please forgive him... I shouldn't be speaking to you about this, but I believe his highness has grown fond of you. These past few months he's been suffering, unable to meet you... He acts out, and let's his anger control him at times, yet I know he's never regretted his actions until now... Right now he genuinely feels guilty for upsetting you, and I know it's taken a toll on him... So please, just talk to him when he gets back, and I'll stay by Magnolia's side." Lance smiles slightly, his eyes filled with sadness as he looks up at me.
I'm surprised with his words and nod lightly.

Hours go by as the sun begins setting.
I wait in the emperor's bedroom, pacing the room worried.
The door opens.
Emperor Cabel walks in, appearing fatigued as he stares at the ground.
I freeze, unable to speak as I stare at his clothing drenched in blood.
"Y-Your highness." I stammer.
His eyes shoot up at me.
"Who let you in here?" He angrily questions.
"Lance did... B-But it was only because I insisted! I wanted to speak with you when you returned..."
"Sit and wait in my office. I need to clean up." He sighs, averting his eyes from mine.
He enters the bathroom, shutting the door quickly.
I stand frozen, staring at the trail of blood.
His shoe prints perfectly imprinted with blood on the marbled floor. The thick heavy scent of iron hits my nose.
I rush out of the room, the scent causing my stomach to twist.

I patiently sit on the sofa in the emperor's office, sipping tea.
Lance serves me some banana pie as I sit quietly.
I fidget my fingers, staring at the teacup.
"My lady, are you okay?" Lance gently asks.
"Yes... If you don't mind, when his highness returns could you give us a moment of privacy?" I ask, thinking about the image of thick blood trailed behind him.
"Of course, my lady."
The doors of the office open.
Emperor Cabel walks in, his hair still wet.
He combs his fingers through his hair, wearing a tucked black tunic shirt with slim black pants. His shoes click against the floor as he walks in.
His expression is unreadable as he glances at me.
Lance pours tea in Emperor Cabel's cup, quickly leaving the room.
Emperor Cabel stands away from me as he thinks to himself.
I stand up and curtsy.
"I apologize for entering your bedroom without permission..." I say, breaking the silence.
There's another moment of silence as I watch him think to himself.
"Are you disgusted?" He asks.
I'm surprised as he grins proudly, yet contradicts himself with his eyes filled with a bittersweet look.
"I've killed my family, along with countless of nobles who've gone against me. Yet only right now I feel like a monster, just because I killed when I saw you were hurt... Foolish, aren't I?" He speaks.
"A-Are they all dead?" I ask.
He nods as his eyes coldly look back at me.
Unable to hold back, tears fall from my eyes.
He looks back at me saddened, taking a small step towards me until he stops himself.
"I've upset you that much, that you're crying?" He smiles, his brow disappointedly furrowing.
I shake my head quickly, wiping my eyes.
"No, you haven't, your highness... I'm sorry. For now I want to look past the deaths, and apologize."
"Apologize? Did you hit your head falling down? What reason could you apologize for?"
"I-I stopped visiting and seeing you, because I was told you hurt my maid... It scared me because it resembled my father, when in reality you had nothing to do with it, and ended up protecting Magnolia and I... I thought the worst of you, but you were there to help, when all I did was hurt you."
Emperor Cabel looks surprised as I speak.
"I was scared and angry, because if you were the one who hurt Magnolia... I knew I wouldn't be able to protect her, like how I wished someone would have helped me when I was a child... When I was faced with Renesha, I froze. Yet you were the one who came and helped me, even when I secretly despised you... I'm sorry, your highness." I curtsy, lowering my head down apologetically.
"I... I'm not a patient man." I look up at Emperor Cabel as he looks back at me, "Though I'm not patient, I still waited for you. I was sure you were angry with the last time we spoke... Understand this, I don't plan to apologize for my decision to execute someone. I doubt you're unable to overlook it."
"I don't agree with murder or reckless killing, I don't think anyone does. It made me sick to see you in such a state, if I'm being honest..."
Emperor Cabel's eyes are fixated on me, his eyes drawing me to him.
"I feel as though I held the sword that struck them... But, I could never hate you for it. You came and protected me. Maybe one day that sword could be my demise if I incur your wrath, but for now I can't bring myself to hate you. Only to ask for your forgiveness."
Emperor Cabel's eyes widen, confused.
His stare pierces into me.
"I don't think I can hate you now or ever. I'm probably just being a naive girl-" I look away unsure of what his expression means.
A breeze blows through my dress as I'm quickly enveloped in warmth.
Surprised, I look up at the emperor who hugs me tightly.
"Y-Your highness?" I exclaim, confused.
"Cabel." His voice tickles my ear, "Just call me Cabel."
He releases me from the tight hug, his arms loosely wrapped around my waist.
I look up at him, taken aback as he gently smiles, tucking a few strands of hair behind my ear.

The Emperor's Concubineजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें