B.2 Chapter Forty

I take a deep breath, standing in front of large doors in the quiet dimmed hallway.
I gather my courage to raise my hand to knock.
The door opens.
Marquess Simone looks out at me, slightly surprised.
"Deimos, what brings you here?" He asks.
"My lord, I just wished to have a moment of your time to thank you." I calmly speak.
Marquess Simone nods, gesturing for me to come in.
I enter his office, looking around to see the office lit only from the light of the fireplace.
Marquess Simone closes the door, walking to the seat in front of the fire.
"Come, sit." He says.
I nod, moving to sit in the second chair beside his.
"Why did you come?" He asks.
I take a deep breath, calming my nerves.
"My lord... Was his grace here because he heard the news about me?" I ask.
"No... He came to speak about the meeting... And to talk about his highness."
"His highness?"
Marquess Simone lifts his glass of liquor, nodding before taking a sip.
"Do you want to know what he said about his highness?" Marquess Simone asks.
I nod, growing nervous.
"His highness is apparently is ill." He gently speaks.
"Ill? How so?"
"His highness seemed to be badly injured, but as we know, his powers can heal him. They won't heal him as rapidly as your powers do, but his grace said he must be severely ill if his powers aren't healing him. What happened with his highness and you?" Marquess Simone asks.
I take a deep breath, staring at the crackling fireplace.
"We fought... He tried to kill me..." I quietly speak.
I listen as the marquess takes a deep breath.
"Continue, tell me everything." He calmly speaks.
"I tried confronting him... Last night I walked in to see him and Esmerelda..." I take a deep breath, feeling the unsettling sensation come back to me.
"Take your time, just breathe." Marquess Simone kindly says, smiling comfortingly.
I nod, giving back a small smile.
"I walked in to see them kissing..."
Marquess Simone's eyes widen before turning enraged.
"They kissed?" He repeats.
"Yes..."
"His highness... Kissed your younger sister?"
I nod.
"Yes... I walked in to see them... Esmerelda said that it was because his highness loves her."
"I see... What else happened?"
"This morning I decided to confront him about it. He wouldn't talk to me and tried avoiding me. Esmerelda came out of his office, and just said how sorry she was... He called for knights to arrest me, saying I attempted to kill Esmerelda but I swear, I never tried to harm her."
"It's okay, I believe you. How did you two end up fighting?"
"The knights tried taking me away, but I just got angry that he didn't have the decency to talk to me. I used my powers to make them release me, but his highness began trying to kill me. I had no choice but to fight back. I got away and escaped to the district, and that's when Lord Christopher saw me, and made me come here to talk..."
Marquess Simone nods, running his fingers through his hair as he takes a deep breath.
"I see... First thing's first, I'll need you to give my regards to my wife and family." Marquess Simone stands, fixing his uniform.
"Pardon? How come?"
"Because I'm going to kill the emperor."
I stare shocked by his comment.
I watch as his eyes grow murderous and terrifying.
He begins walking towards the door.
"Ah! My lord, wait!" I chase after him, grabbing his arm to stop him.
"That arrogant, selfish boy needs to be taught a lesson! How dare he think he can get away with making a move on a child as young as my sweet Dulcie! That stupid little boy needs to be put in his place!" Marquess Simone shouts.
"M-My lord! Please calm down! Even saying such things could get you arrested if anyone heard!"
"That boy claimed, and shouted he loved you whenever he could, going on about how you're the only one for him! Yet he decides to throw it away for someone younger than Dulcie? I can not let this idiotic, disgusting behaviour slide!-" Marquess Simone looks back at me, furious.
His expression calms down once he turns around.
"I-I know... I didn't want to be thrown away..." My heart begins throbbing as I feel the reality set.
I wipe my eyes, feeling the tears drip down my cheeks.
I cover my eyes, looking away from Marquess Simone.
"Ah, forgive me, I didn't mean to cry-"
I'm cut off as Marquess Simone hugs me.
His hand petting my head as I hear him sigh.
"Lady Luna... I apologize... I never meant to upset you, I just got enraged about all of this."
I shake my head, doing my best to stop crying.
"It's okay... I'm sorry for showing such a disgraceful expression in front of you."
"Lady Luna, do you know what I always say to Dulcie?" Marquess Simone looks down at me, giving me a kind reassuring smile.
His hands gently wiping my tears away.
"I always tell her that it's okay to cry, just as long as she doesn't cry alone. I acted out of anger just now and said something that reminded you of the pain, and I'm sorry. You can cry as much as you want."
I nod, taking deep breaths to calm down.

We sit down in our seats as I wipe my eyes with a napkin.
"Have you calmed down now?" Marquess Simone asks.
I nod, taking one last deep breath.
"Yes... Have you calmed down?" I ask, flashing a small smile.
"I don't think I have fully. I'm very angry about it, but I suppose I'm calm for now." He chuckles, giving a small smile back.
"I-It just hurts..." I speak, my voice trembling as I feel my tears well up in my eyes again.
"I know... You have every right to be hurt and confused..."
"Did his grace say how his highness is?"
"With his injuries?"
"Yes..."
"No, he briefly explained to me that he saw a bruise, and that his highness' hand was bandaged up."
"Ah, I see..." I nod, staring down at my lap.
"Lady Luna, would you want to sneak into the palace to see his highness's condition?" Marquess Simone asks.
"I... I don't know..."
"That's okay... But I know unloving someone is difficult. I know that you still love his highness, and if you're worried about him we can check on him."
I look up at him, nodding.
"I am worried. I gave him a pretty big hit to escape... But how can I go back to the palace? People would question me, even if I do go as Deimos."
"We could use the excuse that since you're Christopher's guest, you have to accompany us since we have work to be done at the palace."
"I suppose... What if someone notices me?" I ask.
"We'll go when it's less busy. Although, Abigail did a good job on transforming you, I doubt anyone would recognize you."
I look back at the fire, thinking to myself.
My heart aching as I think about Cabel. I take a deep breath, a feeling of worry washing over me.
I nod.
"I want to see him..." I whisper.
"Okay then. We'll need to take extra precaution to check on him." Marquess Simone smiles kindly.
I nod, wiping my eyes with the back of my hand.