Chapter Twenty-Two

I sit in the library, enjoying my afternoon tea.
I rest my book on my lap, staring out the window as I watch the snow melting underneath the warm shining sun.

"Lady Luna?"
Magnolia gently calls out.
I turn my head to see her slowly approach, holding a letter in her hand.
"What have you brought?" I ask.
I catch a glimpse of her face; her left cheek slightly swollen along with the side of her bottom lip.
She avoids showing her left cheek, hiding her face.
She hands me the envelope as I notice a faint colour of redness on her lip.
"Maggie, will you turn your head please?" I ask.
A look of worry crosses her face as she shakes her head.
"I-I'm afraid I can not." She replies.
"And why is that? Are you hiding something?"
She shakes her head again.
I sigh as I look into her eyes, even as she avoids eye contact.
"Maggie... If anything's happened, will you tell me? I won't force you to show me, but I'm worried about you."
Magnolia pauses as she shuts her eyes tightly.
A look of fear and embarrassment shows in her expression, she slowly turns her face.
My eyes widen as shock and anger overcome my body.
A dark red bruise forming on her cheekbone, and a cut on the far left side of her eyebrow.
"W-Who did this to you?" A deep voice from within my chest calls out.
My heart races as my body goes cold, remembering father and mother.
Magnolia avoids looking at me again, turning her face.
"I-It was the emperor..." She shuts her teary eyes tightly.
"The emperor did this?" I stand up surprised, "He did this?"
Magnolia looks away, biting her lip hard as she silently shakes her head.
"My lady... I-It's nothing serious. I urge you to read the letter, it's from his highness..." She speaks guiltily.
I quickly open the envelope and read the invitation.
I scoff, amazed by his cruel boldness as I look back at Magnolia's face.
"Would you go find me some ointment and an ice pack?" I toss the letter on the table as I look at her injury.
"A-Are you hurt anywhere my lady?" She exclaims.
"No, it's for you."
"M-My lady, I cannot use medicine meant for a princess!"
"It would insult me if you refused my help. I don't know where it's kept, so for now please just get it for me." I smile sadly as I look at her.
She tears up and nods.

I apply a bit of ointment on her cut, applying an inflammatory cream on her cheek.
I apply bandages as she stares at a wall, zoning out.
I clean up my fingers and sigh.
"The emperor really did this to you?" I ask.
"Y-Yes my lady... Please forgive me..."
"Forgive you for what? You haven't done anything wrong."
"I made you not want to see him, haven't I?" She quietly says.
I shake my head, taken aback.
"No. This is unacceptable, it's not your fault, understand?" I reassure her, as I smile kindly.
She gives a smile in return, but quickly turns saddened.
Time goes by as Magnolia sleeps on a sofa after I've forced her to nap.
I quietly write a letter.

I walk to the emperor's palace and arrive at the front entrance.
A knight assists me inside, where I'm met with a butler.

"Lady Luna, please follow me. His royal highness has made preparations for afternoon tea."
"That won't be necessary. Unfortunately, I'm unavailable to meet with him. Please give him this letter on my behalf."
The butler freezes, unsure of what to do.
I hand him the envelope and take my leave.
I return to the golden palace's library, sitting back in my chair. I glance over at Magnolia sleeping soundly.
"I thought you were different from the rumours... I thought you were someone far different than them..." I whisper, the memories of my parents crazed smiles coming back to haunt my mind.
I sigh, resting my hand on my chest as a strange itch grows in my heart.