Chapter Eighty-Three

"Cabel! You didn't have to be so rude!" I scoff, quietly scolding him.
"It still displeases me. He betrayed me, so what do I do when he chats you up?"
"You do nothing. Speaking strictly about titles, he has the second largest influence next to yours. He's meant to support you and he did help, because thanks to his idea of letting me leave as your concubine, it's become easier for us to be together, right? I still want to consider him as my friend, so try to be civil."
Cabel looks down at me, he scoffs and nods.
"Fine. Since my lovely future fiancée asked so sweetly, I suppose I'll have to listen."
Cabel moves as if he's about to kiss me.
I quickly back away.
"E-Everyone's staring!" I exclaim, covering my mouth with a fan.
"And? If we share saliva in public or private, would it matter?"
"C-Cabel!" My cheeks instantly heat up.
He flashes a teasing, arrogant sly grin moving closer to me.
"Princess, did you bite your tongue? It seems you can't answer my question. Maybe I should kiss it better." His deep voice whispers in my ear, causing my heart to beat faster.
"N-No!" I quietly exclaim, doing my best to keep my voice low and my face hidden, "Y-You can't say that! What if someone hears?"
"And? What would anyone do if I, the emperor, wants to share a kiss with my future wife?"
His hand rests on my waist as he tries to peek at my expression, hidden behind the fan.
Just as I'm about to scold him, I'm quickly interrupted.

"Good evening, your highness. Would you spare me some of your time?"
We look to see a lady, bowing in front of us.
She wears foreign clothing and doesn't appear to be a normal guest.
"Hm... You came with Princess Safia, correct?" Cabel calls out.
"Yes, your highness. Forgive me if I'm intruding. Would you mind coming with me?" She looks back at me and Cabel.
"If it's quick, fine." Cabel turns to me and smiles, "I'll be back."
"Okay..." I smile back, my cheeks still heated up.
I watch them leave the ballroom.
I take a deep breath, doing my best to calm down my heart as I think back to his flirtatious actions.
Calming down seems almost too easy as I snap out of my daze, sensing many eyes watching me.
I look at the crowd of guests, whispering amongst themselves as they try to subtly glance at me.

"May I have a dance with you?"
I turn to see a man dressed in a foreign style of clothing.
His brown hair slick back neatly, with his brown eyes piercing into me.
"I'm apologize, but I must decline." I smile slightly.
"I promise I don't bite." He smiles, holding his hand out.
"Hm... Okay. I should warn you, I'm not skilled at dancing." I slightly sigh, unable to decline him again.

I place my hand on his as he leads the way to the dance floor. We get into position as a new song starts.
I follow his steps as he leads me.

We dance without speaking a word as I ignore meeting his eyes.
Soon he breaks the silence.
"So, I'm dancing with the future empress?" He gazes down at me.
"We have yet to discuss the seat I'm to take." I calmly reply.
"I presume it doesn't bother you then?"
"What might that be?" I look up at him.
"For him to have a future concubine."
I stare at him, keeping my composure.
"What are you trying to say?" I raise a brow, maintaining a calm demeanour.
"There are more suitable princesses meant to become final candidates, but it appears you've taken their places. Just as a lowly concubine has taken the true princesses places, another lowly thing will replace you too."
"What a crude way to speak to someone. I don't even recall getting your name, sir." I coldly speak, analyzing his face.
He spins me out and back into him.
"That's because I haven't given it."
"Will you even tell me it?"
"There's no point. I just want to warn you to tread lightly. You're a mere princess from a fallen kingdom, a rejected concubine who's been gossiped about having a relationship with the duke. A used previous concubine such as yourself, isn't worthy enough to be seated in any throne."
"I believe you do not know me enough, if you're basing me off rumours. The words of an unnamed man does not affect me." I smile, passive aggressively.
"Who's to say but a word of advice, every person in this room and empire believes it."
The dance ends, and he bows his head as I curtsy.
"Thank you for your word of advice, but it's not necessary. You aren't a citizen from the empire, so your word means little to me."
"Just as you aren't from the empire either?"
"Yet you haven't lived here to know how the empire works. The only thing you seem to know is how you want your princess in the throne."
"My, what a sharp tongue you have. Just remember, an empress and queen are meant to be loved by the people. You aren't loved enough to take any of those positions." He glares down at me, grinning.
Just like that, he quickly disappears into the crowds.
I take a deep breath moving to the sofa I was just at. I grab a glass of champagne off a waiters tray, sitting down.

"Princess Luna, hello."
I look up at the lady in front of me.
Princess Levita stands, waving her face with a fan.
"Good evening, Princess Levita." I smile, bowing my head.
"May I join you?"
She sits beside me without my answer.
"Yes, I suppose." I sip my drink, ignoring her.
"So you're the thing that stole his highness away from me."
I look back at her, slightly surprised by her direct way of speaking.
She smiles sweetly, keeping her voice quiet.
"To think I lost him to you. Though I'm sure any beautiful girl in this room can take him away from you."
"My, my. Your true self is much more amusing than the facade you keep in front of his highness." I snicker, waving my fan in front of my face.
"Does his highness know you're abused? Oh yes, you were found locked away when his highness took over your castle, such a shame he didn't just get rid of you then." She places her hand on mine, showing a friendly demeanour to everyone watching.
I smile, keeping up the act as well.
"Does it enrage you that an abused princess and previous concubine will hold a higher title than you? You should quickly learn to bite your tongue since you have no authority in the empire." I smile, watching her expression.
"Who's to say you'll have that crown. His highness might just be disgusted with you later on and leave you. You can't hold both thrones of an empress and queen anyways. You'll always have to share his highness, and he might favour another more than you."
"I don't need to worry about that. I know what could happen, but you speak as though you're already the empress." I giggle, smiling innocently.
"Because I will be. I've been raised to have that crown, a lowly concubine does not deserve to even breathe on it. Stay in your place or I'll make sure you understand the differences between you and I."
She smiles, standing up.
"It's been a pleasure speaking with you, Princess Luna." She curtsies, turning away as she looks back at me with malicious eyes.

Princesses, previous candidates, as well as strange men constantly approach me throughout the night.
Cabel nowhere in sight for hours it seems.
I sneak outside onto the patio, growing tired of the night.
I sigh, leaning on the railing, staring up at the vast starry sky.
The words of everyone constantly calling me 'used', 'abused', and reminding me of the future concubines he's likely to take, replay in my mind; fatiguing me more.
"I already know... I know better than anyone of it all, is it necessary for them to remind me of it?" I stare up, my heart tightening as I grow frustrated.

"My lady?"
I turn to see Lance carrying a tray.
"Lance, hello."
"His highness is stuck speaking with officials from other kingdoms at the moment. He asked me to bring you a drink."
"I see, thank you." I smile, taking the glass.
I take a sip, sighing as I stare at the moonlit garden.
"My lady, is something bothering you?"
"Of course not. I'm just growing tired, I haven't spoken with so many people at a time before." I smile, hiding my frustrations.
"If you'd like, you may return for the night."
"Thank you, I'll leave in a bit."
"Yes, my lady..."
Lance stares at the ground, his brows furrowing.
"What's the matter?" I ask.
"I just want to apologize again. I never meant to guilt you to pity his highness, or try to brush off your concerns. I just thought it'd help to see his side of this..."
"It's alright. I apologize too, I know you never meant it in such a way. At the time it was just difficult to hear anything about Cabel when I was hurt by him. But it's resolved, so it's nothing to worry about now."
"Yes, my lady. Please enjoy your night. I'll inform his highness you'll be returning soon."
"Thank you, Lance."
I smile, watching him bow and walk away. I finish my drink, blankly staring at the garden.
"It's a difficult path I chose..." I whisper, feeling my exhaustion return.