Chapter Ten

"Maggie, will you grab me a book?" I call out.
"Yes, Lady Luna!" Magnolia responds.

She sets down the duster. I sit and wait in my seat as I listen to her softly humming to herself as she looks over different books.
She quickly brings a book down to me.
"I thought this one could be fun!" She shows the title, cheerfully skipping towards me.
"I'll take your word for it." I giggle, closing the finished book in my hand.
Placing the book I finished onto a pile, I notice Magnolia staring at the table full of books.

"What's the matter?" I ask.
"Oh forgive me, Lady Luna. It's just, I never knew a princess would read this much." She says, handing me the book.
"Usually they should. It's to better their education since most princesses get married into high positions, like a queen or duchess for example. Though, I might be a different example." I chuckle, amused by her expression.
"Oh? What do you mean?"
"Well, princesses also focus on participating in high society once they've had their coming of age, but I've never been introduced to society. I could only find entertainment through reading since I couldn't meet others. Especially now that I'm a concubine, all I can do is simply read."
"I see... Lady Luna, I apologize but what does a concubine usually do?" Magnolia looks at me with curious eyes.
I stammer, unsure how to answer this child's sincere question.
"Er, well, concubines are generally women who must satisfy and entertain the emperor." I explain, keeping the mature details out.
"Do you do such things?"
"No. Quite frankly, I've never even met the emperor, let alone know what he looks like. Lance has told me his highness doesn't seek out his concubines, but the girls in the harem may invite him."
"You could invite him!" She squeals, excited.
"No, no! I-I prefer having a quiet life like this. Unless... are you saying you want me to meet his highness, so you don't need to see me as much?" I snicker, teasing Magnolia.
"O-Of course not! You're very kind to me, much different from how I perceived nobles to be."

A knock on the library doors ends our conversation.
Magnolia and I exchange confused looks as she goes to open it.
A girl in a maids uniform stands there.

"Hello, I've been sent to invite Lady Luna to a tea party held this afternoon." The maid bows, handing Magnolia an envelope.
"Oh, thank you." Magnolia bows her head.
The maid quickly leaves, and Magnolia walks back to me.
"Lady Luna, would you like to go? If you do, we should prepare your outfit." Magnolia asks, handing me the envelope.
I read the letter, a bit confused by it not having a name of the sender.
"I suppose it's time for me to meet the other residents... Okay, let's go prepare." I stand up, closing my book.

I sit in a chair reading while Magnolia carefully dries my hair.
Beginning to apply light makeup, along with a rose balm, Magnolia styles my hair, clipping a crystal beret to one side of my head. I change into a mint green gown with a ruffled collar and cape sleeves, before slipping on simple strappy green heels.

Inside the parlour, twelve ladies dressed in beautiful gowns and jewelry sit around the large table. The sun shining brightly in through the windows, bouquets of flowers decorate the room.

"Hello, I'm Luna." I curtsy, carefully watching each one of them, "I apologize for not introducing myself earlier, my health hasn't been well since arriving here."
I walk to an empty chair and take my seat.

"That's okay! I'm just so glad I can finally meet you! I'm Renesha. I'm so happy you accepted my invite!" She exclaims excitedly.
Renesha's face is beautiful, her eyes dazzling with a pink shade. Her dark red hair tied back into an updo, and a pale orange low-cut gown sparkling with jewels.

The tea party continues after all the girls have introduced themselves, and get lost in their small gossip.

"So Lady Luna, have you invited the emperor to your bedroom yet?" One of the girls asks.
I shake my head slightly, almost choking on my tea.
"No, I have not. I'm still weak in health, so it would be offensive to invite the emperor in such a state." I reply.
The atmosphere grows odd and hostile.
I sit and observe their expressions.
"No one would ever beat Lady Renesha's number though, how lucky of her!" Another girl states.
"What number are you talking of?" I ask, curious.
"Oh, well it's how many invites the emperor accepts. Lady Renesha's the emperor's favourite. He's attended balls as her date, and she's the only one whose invites he's accepted." A girl proudly speaks up.
"Yes well, I have been here the longest, but I guess his highness has a type of beautiful he likes. If you ever meet the emperor though, never get too close to him." Renesha whispers to me.
"Why's that?" I ask.
"He reeks of blood, his eyes are terrifying like he has a desire to kill anything." Renesha shivers, "And it was said he murdered his family to become emperor like some psychopath! He looks like a deranged monster which is fitting though, given that he's called 'a demon with a crown' in some kingdoms." Renesha laughs out loudly.
"Oh I see." I nod and sit silently as I listen to the other ladies gossip.
"You know, Lady Renesha's the only one who's seen the emperor's-"
I cough, surprised by the sudden turn of conversations.
"Well, I guess he's a little loyal... And little in some other places." Renesha giggles.
"Oh my goodness! Is he really?" A girl exclaims.
"Who's to say. All I can tell you is, it's smaller than it seems." Renesha snickers.
The other ladies gasp and giggle as they listen to Renesha flaunt stories, about her and the emperor.
I silently sit, uncomfortable as I watch the ladies continue the vulgar conversations.

The tea party lasts for a few hours, until I can finally say my goodbyes.
I eat dinner in the library as I read, exhausted from the gathering.
"Lady Luna, how was the tea party?" Magnolia asks, pouring some wine.
"Oh goodness, I was not ready for that." I sigh, burdened by the memory of our meeting.
"What happened?"
"I've never had an official party with other ladies. I know the decorum and manners to use, but I forgot that sometimes there's nobles who don't partake in such decorum." I sigh, rubbing my forehead.
"Well... The next time an invite comes, I'll be sure to decline it for you."
"No need, you can give me the invites and I'll determine whether it's worth going to."