B.2 Chapter Twenty-Six

"I'm sorry for your loss. It isn't enough to replace the loss of your family, but I'll ensure you're compensated and taken care of." Emperor Cabel speaks to a widow.
"I-I just don't understand. Did you kill the beast that took him away from me? Please, tell me the beast was killed!" The widow sobs, her children hugging her as they cry.
"I can't say anything about it. Please accept this letter. I promise on my name, I'll make sure you won't suffer anymore." Emperor Cabel hands her an envelope with a royal seal.
"My darling... My darling's gone... And you can't even tell me if the beast that killed all these men, is dead?" She sobs, pained as she looks down at the envelope.
Emperor Cabel's brows furrow as he looks down at the young children trembling.
The rain continues to pour down as Marquess Simone, butlers, and Emperor Cabel speak with the grieving families to hand letters out to them.
Time goes by until the emperor and marquess leave.
They sit in a carriage, the rain dropping onto the windows.
"Your highness, it must have been difficult for you to do that, but I know in the future they'll appreciate your actions. You did very well in honouring them." Marquess Simone speaks up, breaking the silence.
"How annoying. This sort of emotional thing is better left for those who can show compassion."
"You've shown enough compassion, your highness. Those families will appreciate you trying to help them, but given the circumstances, it's difficult for them to stay put together."
"How exhausting..." Emperor Cabel whispers, leaning back as he closes his eyes.

"Your highness, welcome back." Lance bows, holding an umbrella over Emperor Cabel's head.
"How's Luna?" Emperor Cabel asks, stepping off the carriage.
"Er..."
"What is it?" Emperor Cabel glances at Lance.
"Well... The transportation of the crystals went well but..."
"But what? Spit it out, did something happen to her?" Emperor Cabel's voice shakes with anger and worry.
"When we exited the vault, the knights found something moving in one of the carriages. It was a young girl."
"And? Who is she?" Emperor Cabel walks into the palace.
Butlers and maids stand, lined at the entrance as they bow to the emperor.
Lance follows behind, handing the umbrella to another butler.
"Apparently she's Lady Luna's younger sister..." Lance whispers.
"What? How did she end up there?"
"We have not interrogated her, but Lady Luna openly called out her name and recognized her."
"Bring me to her."
Lance guides Emperor Cabel through the palace.

Luna walks through the palace escorted by Lance, Duke Oslo, and knights.
Esmerelda holds tightly onto Luna's sleeve as they walk.
They soon arrive to a parlour room, filled with glamorous sofa's and tables.
The knights stand outside the parlour doors as Duke Oslo and Lance enter with Luna and Esmerelda.
Esmerelda sits down beside Luna, nervous as the duke sits across them.
"Shall I bring some refreshments?" Lance coughs, breaking the quiet awkward atmosphere.
"I suppose." Duke Oslo speaks up, his eyes analyzing Esmerelda.
Lance bows, quickly leaving the parlour.
Luna sits uncomfortable as she glances down at Esmerelda who still hangs onto her arm.
"Your grace, would you mind giving us a moment of privacy?" Luna speaks up.
"I'll have to decline." He responds.
"It won't take long."
"Lady Luna, I know she's just a child, but we need to be cautious of those around you. We only allowed that child in, because it genuinely does seem you know her, but for now I can not leave you two alone until his highness returns."
Luna sighs, nodding.
"I understand." She responds, looking down at Esmerelda.

Lance returns with a cart of tea and food.
A tiered tray holding various finger sandwiches, along with various desserts and jams.
Lance serves an orange coloured tea to Duke Oslo and Luna, placing a different drink in front of Esmerelda.
Esmerelda looks at Lance, confused by the beverage.
"Please, help yourself. I felt you wouldn't enjoy black tea, so instead I brought you hot chocolate." Lance kindly speaks.
Luna lifts a wet towel, carefully wiping Esmerelda's muddy and cut up hands.
Luna smiles, reassuring her.
"It's okay, have some." Luna calmly speaks, lifting her teacup.
Esmerelda nods, cautiously picking up the mug.
She brings it to her lips taking a light sip of the drink.
Whipped cream sticks to her lip as she swallows the warm drink, her expression instantly lighting up with excitement.
"I-It's delicious!" She exclaims, taking another sip.
Luna smiles, unable to stop herself from giggling.
She picks up a napkin, bringing the napkin up to Esmerelda's lips to wipe away the whipped cream moustache.
"You must be hungry. Have some sandwiches." Luna kindly speaks, lifting a pair of tongs to place sandwiches on Esmerelda's plate.
Esmerelda meekly takes a bite of a sandwich.
Duke Oslo raises a brow, shooting Luna a discreet look. Luna shakes her head as if telling him to be at ease.
"Er, Esmerelda?" Luna calls out.
Esmerelda quickly swallows her bite, turning to her.
"Y-Yes?" She stutters.
"Do... Do you remember brother?" Luna cautiously questions.
Esmerelda's eyes widen as they grow wet with tears.
She nods her head.
"Were you with him this entire time?" Luna asks.
"No... Brother left me in a cabin we found when we escaped home... He never came back." Esmerelda wipes her eyes with her arm.
Luna's brows furrow as she looks back at Esmerelda's pained expression.
"Lady Luna, that's enough for now." Duke Oslo calls out.
Luna looks back at Duke Oslo before nodding.
They sit quietly as they watch Esmerelda eat until she tires herself.
She leans against Luna as she sleeps soundly, gripping tightly onto her sleeve.
"Lady Luna." Duke Oslo whispers, "Are you certain?"
Luna nods.
"She looks exactly like she did from when I first met her..." Luna whispers, staring down at Esmerelda.
"When you first met her?" Duke Oslo tilts his head.
"I... I never knew I had a younger sister until I turned eighteen. Before I was locked away... My father introduced me to her, and blackmailed me to marry my brother... He said if I didn't, Esmerelda would be the one who'd marry him. I remember looking back at her as I was taken away for rejecting the offer... Her eyes are the same colour, even her the beauty marks are the same as I remember." Luna whispers, her throat choking up.
Duke Oslo looks back at Luna and nods.
"I see... I'm sorry, but I can't leave you alone with her... His highness should be back soon though."
"I understand, I'm not offended so don't worry." Luna smiles.
They sit in silence as Esmerelda continues to sleep.