Chapter Four

Sitting in front of the vanity, a maid styles my hair into an elegant braided bun. Pinning my bangs to the side, she secures the style with a flower hair clip. Another maid helps me stand, dressing me in a light pink-cream gown with ruffled short sleeves.

Sitting by the window, the maids finally gone, I take a breath of relief--unable to hide my pain.
Adjusting in my seat, I wince from the sharp pain lingering in my shoulder.

The door knocks and a voice calls out.

"Lady Luna, I've brought your morning tea." Lance gently speaks.
"Come in." I call out.

The door opens and Lance steps in, holding a tray.

"Good morning, Lady Luna." He smiles, his eyes admiring my .
"Good morning."

He places the tray down, setting a small plate of snacks, and a teacup in front of me.
As he begins to pour the tea, a sweet floral aroma hits my nose.

"Oh... Is this medicinal tea?" I ask.
"No, my lady. I thought you would be sick of drinking only herbal tea for the past week, so I've prepared apple linden tea. Apple linden tea is difficult to make, so I won't be able to prepare it often. However, I thought it would be nice for you to try it! The doctor said it'll be fine to have some, but please be aware that your evening drinks will have to be herbal tea."
"It's alright, the herbal tea doesn't taste bad. It's very kind to think of me though, it smells wonderful, thank you."
I take a sip of the steaming tea, feeling my body warm up.

A vague picture forms in my mind--a scene of flower petals floating gently through a warm breeze, enveloping around me like a soft barrier.
The picture disappears as quick as it appeared, leaving behind a warmth and melancholy sensation.

I open my eyes surprised.
"It's delicious... It tastes like a spring breeze!" I smile, savoring the flavour.
"I'm glad it's to your liking." Lance chuckles, amused by my reaction.

I slowly eat the sliced fruits, staring out the window.

"Lance?" I call out.
"Yes, Lady Luna?"
"What's that tower over there?" I point to a tall cylindrical building, with a semi-sphere roof.
"Oh, that's the golden palace's library."
My eyes shoot back to Lance with excitement, before I wince in pain.

"Ah, my lady! Please be more careful moving around!" Lance exclaims, worriedly looking at me.
"I'm sorry, I'm okay though. I got a bit overly excited." I giggle lightly, "Would it be okay if I went to the library?"
"Oh... Er, well..." Lance trails off, a bit awkwardly.
"What's the matter?"
"Er... There's no issue with you going, but no one has entered in years... The maids and butlers rarely go, unless they're asked to go by a resident of the golden palace."
"Oh? Why has no one gone? It's full of books, is it not?"
"Yes, there's many books, but before his highness ascended to the throne, he's been the last person there. When ladies began arriving into his harem, it was neglected. The other ladies aren't ones who are too interested in books."
"Then how else do they occupy themselves?" I ask, dumbfounded.
"They hold gatherings, participate in society, and meeting his highness. Once they became concubines, their focus seems to have been on increasing their reputation."
"Oh I see... So, I can't go?" I grow a bit saddened, thinking of the books collecting dust.

Lance pauses and smiles.
"If you ask, I can have the maids clean it, only if it's an order from you."
"I couldn't possibly order anything! I... I'm just a belonging to his highness..." I look away, slightly shaking my head to decline.
"Lady Luna, I should let you know... You may be apart of his highness' harem, but he would never call for a lady who doesn't seek him out first."
"What do you mean?" I look back at him.
He kneels, smiling kindly as he places his hand on his chest.
"His highness is busy, so he doesn't see the need to enter a lady's chamber without her permission or invite. You will never be forced to do anything you do not consent with. Please believe me when I say, his highness ordered his harem to be treated the same as how we would treat an esteemed guest, and you will be served as such." Lance looks back at me with unwavering eyes.
I nod, feeling relieved.
"That being said, Lady Luna, do you wish for the library to be cleaned?" He asks, smiling innocently.

I bite my lip, looking back at his earnest gaze.

'Is it alright to be this selfish though?'
The thought quickly enters my mind.

Lance's eyes only resonate a kind demeanor.
Letting go of my thoughts, I speak.

"Yes... Please have it cleaned and once it is, could I have some books on historical politics and mythologies, brought to me?" I ask.
"Of course, Lady Luna."
Lance nods, exiting the room.

I sigh relieved, looking out at the sky.
My days here have been wonderful. All the help have been kind and thoughtful, and I've been well fed. Regardless, the overwhelming feeling of knowing I'm a concubine for the emperor, has been weighing down on me. The weight seems to lift off my shoulders as I ruminate back on Lance's trustful words.

Days go by as I occupy the sofa in my bedroom, happily reading the books Lance and other help frequently bring.

"My lady?" Lance calls out.

I look at the door and see him stand by the door.
"I knocked several times, but you didn't answer. I assume you couldn't hear me, since you're wrapped up in your books." Lance lightly laughs, amused.
"Oh my apologies! It's just amazing, I haven't read any of these before, so it's very fun to read!" I slowly stand, feeling my body's strength return.
"If you don't mind, I'd like to introduce you to someone." Lance smiles.
"Who is it?" I ask curiously.

A girl walks in the room upon Lance's signal, dressed in a maids uniform. Her light brown hair tied into a ponytail, and her large hazelnut eyes looking back at me nervously, and happily.

"This is Magnolia. She's new here, but she'll be your personal maid from now on." Lance introduces.
Magnolia curtsies and smiles brightly.
"Hello! I hope I'm able to be of use to you." She politely speaks.
"Hello, I'm Luna. May I ask how old you are?"
"I'm thirteen, my lady."
"That's very young! I hope you won't be too tired from working."
"I'll be okay, my lady! I promise I'm a very hard worker!"
"Okay, well I'm happy to be in your care!" I smile back at her.
"His highness will be returning in a few weeks, and so I will be returning to the royal palace. Until then, Magnolia will be taught under my guidance to ensure you're taken care of."
"I won't see you around then?" I pout, disappointed.
"You'll see me from time to time, but I'm afraid not daily. I must return to serving the emperor."
"I understand. I'm very grateful to have had you helping me this much, so thank you." I curtsy and smile kindly.
"The pleasure was all mine, Lady Luna." Lance places his hand on his chest, bowing his head as he smiles back.

Weeks go by after the emperor returned back to the palace. Magnolia has been kind and working diligently just as Lance did.
I sit back and watch the clouds float through the sky with ease.

"Lady Luna, would you like your mid-day tea, and a book from the library?" Magnolia asks.
"Yes, that sounds wonderful. Thank you, Maggie." I speak.
She smiles brightly as she rushes out the room.
I sigh, placing my hand on my heart.
"I feel calm, but what is this feeling?" I quietly speak to myself, closing my eyes.