B.2 Chapter Forty-Three

My stomach drops as I look down at the book, the drawing of the beast in the book.
"Esmerelda... She's dead?" I whisper, shocked.
"Yes... If the witch is pretending to be her, she's been devoured by this beast." Marquess Simone explains.
I stammer, attempting to find the right words.
I look up at the marquess, being cut off.

The office doors knock.
Marquess Simone quickly hides the book and sketch, placing it under his seat.
"Come in." He calls out.
The doors open as Abigail and a knight run in.
"M-My lord, forgive us... His grace and his men are here." Abigail speaks, trembling.
Christopher and I look at each other, confused.
Marquess Simone looks back at me, his eyes growing stern.
"Did he say why he came?" The marquess asks.
"His grace stated, the emperor has called an investigation to find Luna Avri. His highness has sent his knights to the duke's, searching his estate for Lady Luna, and is asking the duke to search your estate." The knight speaks, bowing his head.
I glance over at the marquess who remains calm.
"I understand. Christopher, Deimos, let's go." Marquess Simone stands.
He exits the office as we follow him.
I gulp, growing anxious.

We step downstairs to the foyer, Marchioness Adara and Lady Dulcie in their night robes.
They look over at the marquess, growing relieved.
"Darling, what's happening? The knights said his grace is here to search our property." Marchioness Adara speaks.
"They're here to look for Lady Luna. I believe she might have run away, but I'll ask his grace." Marquess Simone kisses her forehead, keeping calm.
Lady Dulcie holds onto her mother's robe, growing afraid.
Duke Oslo walks inside with a knight of the marquess by his side.
"Marquess." Duke Oslo speaks, "His highness has requested for my knights and I, to go on a search party. We're to search your property, and once we complete it, you were called to send your knights on a search party too. We must investigate every household in the empire and search every building."
"I understand, how long will it take to search my home?" Marquess Simone asks.
"A few hours. We need to search every corner of your estate." Duke Oslo speaks, his expression stern.
Marquess Simone sighs, nodding.
"Okay, will you need my children and guest here for the investigation?" Marquess Simone asks.
"Unfortunately, yes." Duke Oslo glances over at me.
I grow anxious as I meet his eyes.
"I'll personally have to search your bedrooms. We can start with your children's rooms first, I'll search your guest's room." Duke Oslo states.
Marquess Simone nods, looking back at me.
"Deimos, will you show his grace to your guest room?" Marquess Simone asks.
"Yes, my lord." I bow my head.
I watch as Duke Oslo walks towards me.
His knights follow him, but Duke Oslo raises his hand.
"You, follow Lord Christopher and Lady Dulcie to their bedrooms. We'll do this quickly so the children can rest." Duke Oslo speaks.
The knights bow their heads, following Lady Dulcie and Christopher.
I gulp, feeling Duke Oslo's presence behind me as I walk up to my bedroom.
My fear growing more as I remember my duffle bag out in the middle of the room.
I grow anxious, knowing the duke will search through it to find my documents and clothing.

I open my bedroom, allowing him to step in.
I stare at my bag, growing nervous.
Duke Oslo waits for me to enter too.
He meticulously looks around the room, opening the closet and bathroom door. He looks under the bed until looking at my duffle.
I glance at him as he approaches my duffle.
He gestures to it.
"May I?" He asks.
I nod.
I close my eyes, listening to him open the bag, moving my belongings around.
My heartbeat quickens.

"Your grace?"
A knight enters the room, bowing his head.
"What is it?" Duke Oslo asks.
"Lady Dulcie's bedroom has been finished, will you be needing assistance?"
Duke Oslo looks back at me, causing me to quickly avert my eyes.
"No. The marquess' guest room is finished." Duke Oslo speaks.
The knight bows his head.
"Yes, your grace." The knight leaves the room.
I look back at Duke Oslo who picks up my duffle, walking towards me.
He hands me my bag.
"Follow me, we'll have you wait somewhere else." Duke Oslo speaks, exiting the room.
I nod, following him, confused.