Chapter Twelve

"Come in." I reply to the library doors being knocked on.

The door opens and Hayden enters.
"Hayden! How have you been?" I get up, placing my book down.
"I'm well, are you taking care of yourself these days?" Hayden asks, smiling slightly.
"Yes, it's been so cold out, that I've been forced to wear multiple layers inside. Are you staying healthy? You patrol outside a lot."
"Don't waste your worries on me, I'm usually in an office until I go on my patrol. I've brought a small gift." Hayden hands me a small box.

I open it to see chocolate covered strawberries. I smile in excitement.
"Thank you! But you didn't need to bring me a gift!" My heart begins to feel warm as I stare in the box.
I glance up at Hayden who looks conflicted, yet forces a small smile.
Catching a glimpse of his momentary expression, he quickly wears a calm smile. The brief change in expression worries me.
"Um... Would you like to join me for some tea? Maggie went to prepare some." I offer, hoping to lighten his mood.
"I suppose I have time to spare."

Magnolia prepares an extra teacup along with some finger sandwiches, and small servings of cake.
"Would you care for a slice of mango mousse cake, Sir Hayden?" Magnolia offers.
"Yes, thank you." Hayden smiles lightly as the cake is placed on his plate.
Magnolia finishes serving the snacks and leaves.
I can't help but burst into laughter, staring at Hayden's expression.

"What is it?" He asks.
"Sorry, I know you don't like sweets. It was funny how you scrutinized it. If you didn't want it, why not just say so?" I ask, stealing the cake off his plate.
"Royal members-" Hayden pauses and thinks for a second, "Close members to the emperor, are not allowed to share likes and dislikes of food in case of poisoning attempts."
"Oh, how come you told me?" I look at him dubiously.
He freezes looking in my eyes.
"You... You're different. It seems you value privacy of yourself, and those around you... You felt like you welcomed anyone worthy."
I smile softly, the warmth of his kind words engraving in my heart.
We sip our tea and share the snacks, warmed by the heat of the fire.

I open my eyes to see the sun rising brightly.
The room fills with warming colours of red and orange, illuminated from the rising sun.
I sit up and smile as I stare at Hayden's cape draped over the sofa.
Getting ready, I slide on a long sleeve dark beige and gold dress. Slipping into beige heels, I style my hair into a ponytail.

"Lady Luna! There's an urgent invitation for you!" Magnolia enters, rushing to place a tray on the table.
She runs over to hand me the envelope.
I turn it around to see the gold wax seal, stamped by the emperor's insignia—a dragon wrapped around a sword.

Carefully, I open it, feeling my stomach twist anxiously. I read the invitation and breathe a sigh of relief.
"What does it say, Lady Luna? Is his highness asking for you?" Magnolia asks, worried.
"No, he's holding a winter solstice ball next week, and all the ladies of the harem must attend."
"Oh that's wonderful! You could meet Sir Hayden there!" Magnolia exclaims.
"I doubt I could. He's a high position in his highness' guards, he'll possibly have to work or entertain officials."
"Even so, this is wonderful! We must begin preparations! Shall I order a gown?".
"No... I actually have a gown that'll be passable." I place the invitation down, quickly heading to the wardrobe.

"Hayden! Hello!" I jog, trudging through the snow towards Hayden.
He softly speaks as his eyes gently look at me.
"How beautiful, an angel covered in snow." He casually says.
I feel my cheeks go slightly warm as he compliments me.
"You and your flirtatious words. Anyways, I got an invitation to the winter solstice ball, I wondered if you'd be attending as well."
Hayden grows flustered, avoiding to look back at me.
"No, I'm afraid I have to attend some meetings."
"Ah I see." I pout a bit, feeling slightly disappointed.

Hayden awkwardly pats my head with his gloved hand.
I quickly look up, surprised by his actions.
"Don't be glum. I'm not going away to war, I'll try to visit you the next day." Hayden smiles slightly.
His eyes turn gentle as they look back at mine.
"Okay!" I smile, my cheeks feeling hot against the cold air.
"If you're not busy, would you like to go on a walk?" He asks, holding out his arm to me.
I nod, accepting his arm as we begin to walk to the forest.