Chapter Seventy-Seven

Duke Oslo stands in his room. He stares at himself in the mirror, fixing his hair.
"There's no point in being nervous..." Duke Oslo takes a deep breath.
He slides on his gloves, staring at the clean pressed suit he wears.
"I'm a fool. Why'd I get a matching suit? It's not like anyone would notice anyways." Duke Oslo sighs, rubbing the temple of his forehead.

"Fredrick, is she getting ready now?" Duke Oslo asks, walking down the hallway.
"Yes, your grace. Shall I find out how much longer it will take?"
"No, leave her be."
Duke Oslo sighs, his heart beating fast as he grows nervous.
"Your grace?" Fredrick calls out.
"What is it?"
"Did you... Did you purchase a new suit?" Fredrick asks, shocked.
"I can always rely on your sharp eyes. It's not a major issue, is it?"
"Of course not, I'm just surprised is all."
"Yes well, Madam Charmile wasn't pleased when I tried to leave without a new suit."
"I suppose not..." Fredrick stares at the new suit in disbelief.

Luna sits in a chair, her hair being styled into an elegant bun. Her bangs curled swiftly as the beauticians place a silver and diamond head piece on.
A beautician does her makeup elegantly with a vibrant lip stain.
Luna stands, slipping into the gown before stepping into matching blue diamond high heels.

Duke Oslo waits at the entrance, staring at his watch.
Maids and butlers lined at the entrance as they wait for their departure.

"I'm sorry, did I make you wait long?"
Luna's gentle voice calls out.
Duke Oslo looks up the stairs to see her descend. His lips slightly part, surprised as he looks at her breathlessly.
Her figure hugged by the silk dress as it sways with every step she takes. The train of the gown flowing down the stairs.
"Do I look odd?" Luna stares at Duke Oslo, confused.
"Not at all." Duke Oslo holds his hand out to Luna.
She smiles, placing her hand on his.
"We're off." Duke Oslo announces to the help.
They bow their heads, stealing glances at Luna who kindly smiles and waves.

Duke Oslo gets into the carriage after Luna, sitting across from her with his face flushed.
"I'm sorry..." Duke Oslo speaks up.
"For what?" Luna cocks her head.
"It's not that you look bad, you just looked so breathtaking, it felt like I was in a dream..." He mutters, his eyes staring at her.
"P-Pardon?" Luna's face grows red, blushing.
"I know, silly right? You just look... Extremely beautiful."
"T-Thank you... You look handsome as well-" Luna pauses, "Wasn't that suit at Madam Charmile's?"
"This? Yes..."
Duke Oslo stares at his suit, which matches the gown Luna ordered.
"I thought you didn't care to buy new suits?"
"Madam Charmile guilted me." Duke Oslo sighs.
"So even the madam can manipulate you?"
"If you say it like that, it sounds like an insult." Duke Oslo snickers.
"I didn't mean it like that, you know I didn't." Luna giggles, sitting back.

"If anything goes wrong, I'll be here." Duke Oslo whispers to Luna.
Luna holds his arm as they walk up the palace entry steps.
She smiles, nodding. Luna takes a deep breath looking up at the palace, her heart aching.

"His grace, Duke Arlen Oslo and Princess Luna of Avris." An announcer calls out as they enter the ballroom.
"Ready?" Duke Oslo whispers.
"Yes..." Luna places her hand in his, walking proudly by his side.
The nobles stare at them as they walk down the steps.
"So will I only know your name as Arlen?" Luna whispers.
"Yes, does it displease you?"
"Just curious as to what your middle name is." She giggles.
"You know it starts with a V."
"But, it makes me curious."
"My lady... Please, it isn't appropriate to speak about middle names in public." Duke Oslo whispers, his cheeks flushing red.
"I apologize. But I will admit, it sounds odd to hear your real name used in public."
"But you knew it was Arlen."
"Yes, but hearing it is odd. It seems the name 'Duke' suits coming before your surname." Luna giggles, joking around as she glances up at Duke Oslo.
Duke Oslo stares back at her, before he snickers.
"Yes, it does sound odd, shall I change my name to 'Duke' then? I can just be announced as 'Duke, Duke Oslo'."
"Don't be ridiculous." Luna bursts out laughing.
They laugh among themselves as they walk down the stairs.

"To think the concubine is here as his grace's partner."
Whispers rise from the crowds.
Luna stands closer to Duke Oslo, keeping her eyes down to the ground as they walk through the crowds.
"Your grace, good evening." A man comes up and bows his head.
"Baron Panchino, have you been well?"
"Yes, your grace. I must say, it's surprising to see you with the concubine."
"Concubine?"
"Er, yes?"
"It seems you are mistaken. This is Princess Luna of Avris."
Luna's eyes shoot up to Duke Oslo.
"But, your grace?..." The man calls out.
"Has it not been news that her previous title was given back?"
"Er, yes, I heard about it."
"And even after she was properly announced with me earlier, you stand here insulting her? She is a noble now, so I hope you'll keep it in mind, that though her kingdom is fallen, her allies are made up by the duke and Marquess Simone's family." Duke Oslo looks down at the man with a bone chilling gaze.
The man jumps, startled.
"My sincerest apologies, your grace!" He bows his head low.
"You should apologize to the princess, not me."
"Yes! Please accept my apology, princess!" The man bows to Luna.
Luna glances back at Duke Oslo who gives a small nod.
"I accept..." Luna speaks up.
She takes a deep breath and smiles, standing taller as she see's Duke Oslo's reassuring smile.
The man lifts his head, relieved.
"Though... I don't intend to forgive you to any extent, I'll make that clear to you, Baron Panchino." Luna's eyes glow faintly as she looks down at the man, narrowing her eyes as she slightly smiles.
The man's face turns pale at the tone in her voice, calling his name.
The sharp gaze of hers looking down at him, showing a overwhelming amount of confidence.
He nods quickly.
"Leave us." Duke Oslo waves the man off.
He stumbles, running away.
Nobles around the room whisper amongst themselves.
"That should keep them in their places." Duke Oslo sighs.
"In their places?"
"The whispers, it bothered you right? They should know who they're addressing. You're a past concubine, but now a princess but from a fallen kingdom, so they think they can ignore your title. It doesn't hurt to remind them of your allies."
"I suppose."
"They won't say anything reckless from now on, but stay by my side if you're worried."
Luna smiles slightly and nods.
"Thank you, your grace."
"Although, I'm surprised by how well you can wear the crown."
"The crown?"
"The crown of a princess. It was impressive of the amount of authority you had."
Luna shakes her head, chuckling as Duke Oslo teases her.

Luna and Duke Oslo chat with a few nobles.
Emperor Cabel still yet to appear as all the guests arrive.
Luna yawns slightly.
"Are you tired?" Duke Oslo whispers.
"A little bit, it's been a while since I've been out I suppose." Luna whispers back.
"I see... Would you like a drink?"
"Yes, that'd be nice."
"Okay, wait here. I'll grab a few drinks, and we can hide somewhere to rest."
Duke Oslo grins, patting Luna's back before he leaves.
Luna stands behind the crowds that stare at all the princesses to become candidates.
Luna cocks her head as she only see's princesses she's never met or seen.
"Wasn't there Princess Levita?-"
Luna is soon cut off.

"His royal highness, Emperor Cabel and Princess Levita of the Lancaster Kingdom."
The announcer calls out.
Music plays announcing their arrival.
The nobles look up to the stairs to see Emperor Cabel, Princess Levita's hand on his as they walk down the stairs.
Princess Levita giggles as she speaks with Emperor Cabel. His face composed and calm.
Luna watches, her heart dropping to her stomach as she holds her clenched fist on her heart.

'I thought this would be fine... I thought it'd be easy to see you again... So why am I getting hurt again? Why does this awful feeling return when I start to feel better? I should be happy, I should be glad you found someone else... But was I just cast aside because you finally found someone useful?'
Luna thinks to herself, her brows furrowing as she grows overwhelmed with emotions.
She pauses, staring at the two walking down the stairs.
Princess Levita's gown matching Emperor Cabel's suit.
She relaxes her fists, staring at Emperor Cabel and Princess Levita's hands.

'No... How do I even have the right to be upset... How do I have the right to be hurt, when I don't even exist in your heart?...'
Luna's expression twists into a solemn pained look. Her eyes glossing over as they fill with tears.

Emperor Cabel looks around the room from the steps, instantly making eye contact with Luna.
Her eyes widen slightly as they look at each other, before her face twists pained as she shuts her eyes, quickly turning away.
Emperor Cabel's eyes widen, surprised.
He watches her leave, running out of the ballroom through the garden patio doors. He takes a large step forward but stops himself.
He looks to see Duke Oslo run through the ballroom, dropping two glasses of champagne as he chases after Luna.
Emperor Cabel clenches his jaw, looking at the ground pained.
"Good evening to all." Emperor Cabel calls out to the ballroom, wearing a composed expression.