B.2 Chapter Sixty-Eight

Weeks go by, the empire calm. The citizens rejoice, sharing tales of their future empress defeating the wicked witch, alongside a descendant of Sol.
The citizens celebrate once renovations of the empire are finished, spending a week to drink and celebrate.

Luna works, her days filled with meetings and paperwork as she's reinstated in the advisory department.
Emperor Cabel working abundantly too, the palace bustling with workers as they prepare for the future empress to be crowned.

Luna sighs, staring out at the clear blue sky.

"Lady Luna?"
Luna turns to her bedroom door, Magnolia smiling as she enters with more papers.
"Maggie, what is it?" Luna asks, smiling kindly.
"My lady, Duke Oslo has asked me to relay these to you." Magnolia places the papers on the table.
"Thank you, did he say what these were?"
"He said it was for the victims of the mining incident."
Luna gazes back at Magnolia before looking at the papers.
The names of all the victims that were hospitalized written down, beside their names are the release dates.
Her eyes widen as she looks down the list.

'Jeremy O'Neal.'

Her eyes scan through all the lists, trying to find others with the name Jeremy.
Unable to find any others named Jeremy, she stares at his name.
She glances at the clock.
"Prepare my carriage." Luna speaks, standing as she changes her clothes.
"Where will you be going, my lady?" Magnolia asks, confused.
"To say hello." Luna smiles, tying her hair up.
She changes into a simple blue gown, wearing a black cloak on top.

The carriage stops, in a quiet residential street.
Luna steps off the carriage, looking around.
"Please wait here, I'll be back soon." Luna smiles, holding her hand up to the coachman.
He nods.
Luna walks down the neighbourhood, lined with houses.
She watches as an imperial carriage comes down the street.
She hides behind a lamp post across the street, her eyes watching as the imperial carriage stops in front of a house.
The coachman and knights prepare a wheelchair, as well as a ramp. Soon, Jeremy appears.
His hand and leg still bandaged up, but his complexion vibrant and full of life. He sits in the wheelchair, looking back with a smile.
Out of the carriage emerges Duke Oslo who speaks to him, smiling.
He holds his hand out, shaking hands with Jeremy.
Duke Oslo pushes the wheelchair over to the door, Jeremy growing anxious.
Jeremy holds his hand up, stopping Duke Oslo.
"S-Stop." Jeremy speaks.
Duke Oslo pauses, looking back at him.
"Mr. O'Neal, is everything alright?" Duke Oslo asks.
Jeremy takes deep shaky breaths, looking down at his lap.

"Come on... You can do it." Luna whispers, watching his anxiousness take over.
She takes a small step, about to approach until Jeremy looks up. His eyes filled with determination and worry.
He nods.
Duke Oslo smiles, knocking on the door.
Seconds go by, and a petite lady in black opens the door, her belly round as she appears weak from her pregnancy and mourning.
"J-Jeremy?" The lady calls out, her voice trembling.
Her eyes water as she looks back at the man.
"Cecilia..." Jeremy calls out.
Instantly, she jumps on him. She sobs, hugging him tightly.
"I-I thought you died! Why haven't you come back to me, what happened to you?" She exclaims, sobbing into his neck.
"Cecilia... I'm sorry. I was afraid you wouldn't want to see me."
"Wouldn't want to see you? Darling, have you gone mad? I haven't stopped crying since a knight came to tell me about the accident!" She pulls away, surprised by his words as she cries.
Jeremy nods, wiping his eyes as they overflow with tears.
"I-I'm sorry... I'm sorry, I was afraid and thought it would be better to leave you alone... My injuries will make it hard to give you a good life... I won't be able to walk and help you-" Jeremy apologizes, his expression contorted into a pained look.
"How would that ever be better?" Cecilia shouts, cutting him off, "Darling, even if you were paralyzed, I want you! You promised me a good life, and all I need is for you to be by my side, not for you to do everything for me! How could you think I would never want you?"
Cecilia kneels, wiping Jeremy's tears.
"I-I'm sorry." Jeremy whispers, sobbing as he hugs her.
Luna smiles, watching their tearful meeting.
She watches as Duke Oslo speaks with the two of them, handing them envelopes.
Luna sighs a breath of relief, walking back down the street.
She enters her carriage.
"Where to, Lady Luna?" The coachman asks.
Luna thinks to herself, smiling.
"To the advisory building." Luna replies.

The carriage pulls in front of the building. Luna smiles gazing up at it.
She enters, looking around.

"Meredith." Luna calls out.
Meredith turns around, surprised.
"L-Luna! I haven't seen you in forever! What brings you here?" She asks.
"I would like to have a talk in private. Could I steal your time?"
Meredith nods, following Luna into an empty parlour room.
"What is it?" Meredith asks, sitting down.
"You have yet to join the health research department, right?" Luna asks.
"Yes... I asked again but they refused." Meredith sighs, "Why?"
Luna smiles.
"I know you don't want my help, but there are people who need your help. You're too good to stay as an assistant forever... Will you let me help you join the health department?"
Meredith looks back at her surprised.
"I-I can't accept your help... I need to get in with my own strength and intelligence-"
"And how has that gone so far?" Luna looks back at her with sharp, watchful eyes.
Meredith looks back surprised by Luna's tone, and sharp words.
"You've applied many times and have been refused all times. You're intelligence and understanding is beyond those who control that department, and they still reject you. As cruel as I may sound, you're own strengths have been proved unnecessary for them." Luna honestly speaks, her voice lacking no hint of aggression or kindness; but rather raw honesty.
Meredith looks back at Luna's watchful eyes, taken aback at the kind friend she once thought she knew.
Meredith looks back at Luna, who now appears in a new light of someone with authority, power and strength; someone who deserves the crown to be empress.
"Your status is a commoner and as long as you're also a woman, that department will be prejudiced against you. The small amount of women that have been accepted, were accepted due to their nobility and status. Yet they all quit soon after working because they weren't intelligent or strong enough to keep up with the work they do. The same goes for men who are commoners, they were accepted but given intensive work and were not able to keep up. That department has shown their colours of not caring about bettering the empire's future, but focusing on the status they have. I won't force them to accept you, but what I can do is speak to them about giving an exam for any citizen who's qualified to take it, and the ones who pass must be accepted into their department. It's just like me. His highness may have ordered them to give an easier test without my permission, but I won't do that. Meredith, you're too good to be stuck here. If you don't wish to have my help, I'll gladly listen and support you as a friend like I always have. If you do accept my offer, I'll ensure the exam is given, and I won't tamper with it for your favour." Luna speaks calmly, and honestly.
Meredith looks back at her, biting her lip.
"How would you even do that though? I know it's from your good intentions but... I can't ethically ask you to bend rules just for me."
"It's not bending any rules, nor is it just for you." Luna smiles, "Commoners all over the empire, and in other kingdoms will be able to have a chance to be accepted. There are plenty of others just like you who were rejected due to prejudice, who all deserve a chance. Meredith, I've seen patients in the hospitals, and read your papers. You majored for virology, and wish to go into the research department relating to that, but your papers based on paralysis and disabled patients, were inspiring to me. I've been studying to prepare for the throne, and realized the empire does their best for their citizens, but there are still weak points. Your research and study for amputees and the paralyzed are ingenious, and you're too good to stay in the shadows. Think about your decision, I will gladly help you when you think the timing is right." Luna stands, brushing her gown, "I'll wait for your response, until then take your time."
Luna smiles, exiting the parlour room.
Meredith sits, frozen as she thinks. Her mind churning as she ruminates on their talk.

Luna smiles to the coachman who opens the carriage door for her.
"Luna, wait!"
Luna turns around. Meredith stands, out of breath from running.
"Has something happened?" Luna asks, a small smile on her lips.
"... I accept your offer." Meredith exclaims, bowing.
Luna smiles, nodding.
"I can't change how that department works, so if you pass the exam, the work will be difficult just as they always made it for newcomers. Will you be able to handle it?"
"Yes! You are the future empress, and my friend, so I won't allow your support to go to waste." Meredith smiles, a look of strong determination on her expression.
"Good." Luna smiles, entering the carriage.
Meredith bows as the carriage moves.
"I won't forget this!" Meredith exclaims.