Chapter Six

I stretch lightly, all pain and injuries fully healed.
Breathing a sigh of relief, I head to the balcony. Opening the doors, I take in a deep breath of fresh air. The aroma of sweet grass along with a fresh scent of the trees and morning dew, tickles my nose as I admire the morning sky.

I smile, admiring the soft gentle breeze.
The door knocks.
"Come in." I call out, walking back inside.

Magnolia enters, carrying multiple ribbon wrapped boxes.

"My lady! Some clothing has arrived for you!" Magnolia sets the boxes on the coffee table.
She exits the room to bring more boxes in.
The floor by my bed, and table soon surrounded with cluttered gift boxes.
"All of these?" I exclaim, taken aback.
"Yes, my lady! Mr. Lance ordered them, so you would have proper clothes when autumn and winter arrive!"
"Seems it's enough for the next ten winters if you ask me." I chuckle stunned as I stare at the amount.

Magnolia and I begin unwrapping the boxes. The quality of the silk ribbon in my fingers, causes me to feel conflicted.
I hesitate to unwrap the first box, a faint memory of my childhood coming back to me.

"A rotten child like you, doesn't deserve this."
My mother's grin on her lips—clear as day—as I watched her throw a bracelet into the fireplace.
Someone had sent me a gift, possibly my first present. I never found out who sent it, however that day made me afraid of opening another gift from the punishment that followed.

I shake my head to ignore that memory, glancing at Magnolia opening a box.

'Magnolia wouldn't hurt me, she's too sweet... And I hope Lance isn't someone who would hurt me either...'
I think to myself, staring at the beautifully wrapped box ahead of me.

"My lady?"
I jump, looking back at Magnolia.
"Yes?" I respond, breaking out of my daze.
"Oh, forgive me, you just haven't opened any boxes yet. B-But I don't mind opening them for you! I don't mean to make it sound as if I'm complaining about doing this for you, I-I was just curious!" Magnolia stammers, trying to think of words to say.
I chuckle, shaking my head.
"It's alright, I can help open them. I was thanking Lance in my mind for the gifts."
"Oh, I see!" Magnolia gives a bright smile, continuing to take out clothes from a box.

The relief in her expression gave me enough courage to continue. I take a deep breath, pulling on a ribbon end.
Inside the boxes contain beautiful coats and gowns. Smaller boxes contain bountiful amounts of accessories, in styles I've never imagined jewelry to look like.
We finish unwrapping all the boxes, separating the clothing, and organizing the shoes and accessories first. Everything put away, the wardrobe and jewelry boxes filled to the brim with new clothes.

I look around the room and sigh happily as Magnolia places the last necklace box away.
"Now that's all out of the way, I feel much better." I gently speak.
"My lady, were you not pleased with the clothing you received?" Magnolia asks.
"I am! They were all so beautiful, but receiving so many gifts tends to feel overwhelming for me."
"I suppose that happens, Mr. Lance does tend to go overboard with attire. He's someone we all fear, he takes our fashion very seriously."
I can't help but giggle at Magnolia puffing an air of pride for Lance, with a hint of worrying.
"I'll get rid of the boxes, but first I can help you get ready!"
"It's okay Maggie. I feel better now so I'll dress myself, but you can continue your work. I'll be in the library after, so I'll have my breakfast there."
Magnolia agrees as she leaves with the empty boxes.

I dress up in a light yellow-cream gown with poet sleeves. Slipping on a simple diamond necklace, I style my curled hair into a ponytail. I curl my bangs—sweeping them behind my ear— and apply a light amount of makeup.
I stand in front of the body mirror, smoothing out any wrinkles on the dress.

"Look at my dear Celeste. How revolting."
A whisper calls out.

I turn back, looking around my room confused. My heart beginning to beat faster as I try to recall the voice.
Turning back to the mirror, my eyes widen as a heavy weight pulls down my shoulders. The blood drains from my face—a chilling coldness spreads from my head to my fingers—as I look in the mirror to see Queen Leveanne.

Her throat cut, the blood clotted where she was sliced. Her eyes bloodshot, her skin pale and decaying, and her dress scorched and burned into her skin.
I stare horrified, frozen by fear.

"Our stupid Celeste. You betrayed your own family line to become a whore for the very man who murdered your parents." She speaks in a raspy voice.
"S-Stop. You can't hurt me anymore, y-you're dead, you don't exist!" I back up, frightened.
"How can you be sure? Why don't you give your dear mother a hug?" She grins, her lips contorting into a manic smile.
She steps out of the mirror; her decaying foot steps on the ground, her hands reaching out of the mirror.
The cold rush flows through my body intensely as I watch her slowly step out of the mirror.

Panicked, I run to the door. Looking back to see her limbs stretching out from the mirror, her messy hair following after. Her head contorts to quickly look towards me.
Throwing the door open, I turn to run out but the second I do, I'm grabbed from the front.

"Ah!" I scream out, started as I look ahead of me.
I look to see Lance wearing a startled expression as he holds me by my shoulders.
"L-Lady Luna? What's the matter?" He looks at me, stunned.
"I-I'm so sorry, I just-" I turn my head to look in the room.

The room is just as it was, Queen Leveanne nowhere in sight.

"Is there someone here?" Lance's face grows stern as he steps in.
He slides over his blazer, revealing a dagger in his belt. Gripping the dagger's handle, he hastily searches the room.
"I-I guess I'm seeing things..." I peek in, looking around.
I breathe a sigh of relief, placing my hand on my chest. My heart beats a mile a minute as I recall her voice, those arms that reached out to me, and those scornful eyes she had.
Lance looks back at me worried.
"Lady Luna?" Lance calls out.
I jump, trying to forget my panic.
"I-I'm sorry, I guess it was nothing. So, w-what brings you here?" I ask, attempting to maintain a composed voice to hide my fear.
"Um, well a gown I had ordered for you, arrived at the royal palace by accident." He walks out the room, picking a box off the floor, "Forgive me for dropping it, you took me by surprise."
He laughs lightly, holding out the large white box to me.

Placing it on the table, I open it to see a beautiful gold ball gown with a sweetheart neckline and draped sleeves. Dainty gold flower designs running down the chest, down to embroider the chiffon skirt.
I admire the dress for a moment until I see another box inside. Opening the small box, I gasp as I stare upon a gold crystal headpiece.

"This is so beautiful... W-Why did you get me something like this? Isn't it too expensive?" I place the dress and jewelry back in the box, closing it.
I hand it back to Lance.
"Please return it, I can't accept it. I doubt I'd ever wear it so it seems like a waste to give me this."
"My lady, please keep it. Every lady in the harem has a set allowance, and you won't even scratch the surface with the amount used for this dress. If a celebration or party were to be held, his highness's harem would have to attend and most importantly, dress appropriately to the celebration."
"But even so, the dresses I received already are all so beautiful. I'm sure I could wear one of those."
"My lady, please accept the dress. It's uncommon for someone to not dress their best when in his highness' palace." Lance looks at me and smiles, handing the box back.
I meet his eyes and sigh.
"Would you even allow me to decline again?" I question.
"Unfortunately for you, no. So, please accept it, Lady Luna."
The look he has in his eyes, makes it evident that there's nothing I can do to change his mind. I resign, nodding as I take the box back.
Unable to bring myself to unpack it again, I set the box in the back of the wardrobe.

"Thank you, my lady. Were you off to go somewhere?" Lance asks.
"Oh yes, I was going to the library. I thought I should get out of my room, since I'm feeling much healthier now."
"Shall I guide you there? I'd offer to give you a tour of his highness' palace grounds, but I must return back to his highness soon."
"That's okay, I can get a tour anytime. If you don't mind, I'd love your company to the library."

We walk side by side through the large golden palace.
Lance explains the history, and gives a brief mini tour of the harem's palace.
"If you leave through the garden doors, you'll see many outdoor garden tables on the left. The other ladies enjoy their gatherings there or in the sun room. If you'd ever like to meet them, you'll surely run into someone there."
We walk on a cobblestone pathway, leading up to the doors of the library.
I look up at the large cylindrical building, covered in moss and vines. Lance opens the door, gesturing for me to step in first.
Taking a step in, the library spotless, leaving me in awe as I look around.
Multiple floors with ladders that leads up to the higher floors. A lounge set accompanied by a fireplace on the first floor, along with sofas on each individual floor, and balcony doors on the top floor.

"Wow!" I exclaim looking up, "It's so beautiful! Thank you for having it cleaned!" I hug Lance out of excitement.
He smiles amused.
"I'm very glad you like it."
"Like it? I love it! I would live here if I could!" I smile ecstatically.
Lance smiles, looking back at me.
I catch myself, avoiding his eyes as I try to calm my expression.
"I-I apologize. I was too excited it seems." I speak up, trying to act calm.
"Don't apologize, my lady. I'm happy you like it." Lance chuckles, "I'll have to go, but I hope to see you soon."
"Okay, thank you very much, Lance." I smile, waving as he leaves.
I pick out multiple books from a bookcase, sitting down to eagerly read them.